'24 Aus Open Doubles & Juniors Draws and Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '24 Aus Open Doubles & Juniors Draws and Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:09 am Siniakova & partner bt Krejcikova& partner..I must admit I am faintly Unhappy..siniakova instigated the break-up I hear so...
The other wrinkle was that Siniakova partnered with Hunter, who lost to Krejcikova in singles a heartbreaker.

Post by meganfernandez »

Hunters and Siniakova were up 4-0, 40-15 in the first set vs Mertens/Hsieh and lost it 7-5. Siniakova’s serve is hard to watch. She barely bends her knees. And she had the absolute worst attitude as they were struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

meganfernandez wrote:Hunters and Siniakova were up 4-0, 40-15 in the first set vs Mertens/Hsieh and lost it 7-5. Siniakova’s serve is hard to watch. She barely bends her knees. And she had the absolute worst attitude as they were struggling.

My goodness, that was a great match. Match point was insane! Yiu have to look it up - Mertens/Hsieh d. Hunter/Siniakova.

nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:52 am
meganfernandez wrote:Hunters and Siniakova were up 4-0, 40-15 in the first set vs Mertens/Hsieh and lost it 7-5. Siniakova’s serve is hard to watch. She barely bends her knees. And she had the absolute worst attitude as they were struggling.

My goodness, that was a great match. Match point was insane! Yiu have to look it up - Mertens/Hsieh d. Hunter/Siniakova.

TBH, I think it truly turned into a great match in the third set. There, of course, was plenty of great play in the first two sets. But, it was like the teams took separate turns playing great until that third set. Of all things, it felt more like Mertens had kept them alive for the first two sets. Hsieh, very understandably, looked tired, was not moving as well, and was a tad off her game the first two sets, at least by her standards. THEN- in the third set, slowly but surely, Hsieh the Magician woke up. The third set was absolutely outstanding from all of the players. Both teams saved multiple break points- 'twas nerve-wracking. THEN- the insane two shots that Hsieh hit that finally got them the break for Mertens to serve for the match....the insane shot Hsieh hit to save a break point- and then the INSANE!!!! shot that Mertens hit at their match point....Just incredible to watch. Hsieh has never won a title at the Aussie- and had never even made a Slam mixed final. Get those two titles Hsieh!!!!

TRUST me. If you ever get the chance to see Hsieh play live- do so. Seeing her in person (most recently, I got to see her and Wang Xinyu beat Gauff and Pegula last year in the US Open QF) makes it all the more impressive to watch the shots she can make.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:11 am

TBH, I think it truly turned into a great match in the third set. There, of course, was plenty of great play in the first two sets. But, it was like the teams took separate turns playing great until that third set. Of all things, it felt more like Mertens had kept them alive for the first two sets. Hsieh, very understandably, looked tired, was not moving as well, and was a tad off her game the first two sets, at least by her standards. THEN- in the third set, slowly but surely, Hsieh the Magician woke up. The third set was absolutely outstanding from all of the players. Both teams saved multiple break points- 'twas nerve-wracking. THEN- the insane two shots that Hsieh hit that finally got them the break for Mertens to serve for the match....the insane shot Hsieh hit to save a break point- and then the INSANE!!!! shot that Mertens hit at their match point....Just incredible to watch. Hsieh has never won a title at the Aussie- and had never even made a Slam mixed final. Get those two titles Hsieh!!!!

TRUST me. If you ever get the chance to see Hsieh play live- do so. Seeing her in person (most recently, I got to see her and Wang Xinyu beat Gauff and Pegula last year in the US Open QF) makes it all the more impressive to watch the shots she can make.
I have seen her practice but not play! Would love to sometime. Yeah, it was see-saw till the third set, then they all played well at the same time. And it was fantastic! So glad Hsieh finally woke up! And the way Mertens finished it... So good. I felt bad for Hunter, in front of her home crowd. Not so much Siniakova, the way she was acting in the first set.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

There's nothing I enjoy more in tennis than watching Hsieh play doubles, but I did not get that chance because I was watching the men's semi with Koepfer, the only player on tour I actually know personally. HIs match went to a third-set tiebreak, and his partner, Hanfmann, hit one of the most incredible volleys in the history of tennis to keep them from facing a match point at 4-5 in the third set. You have to google and watch his behind-the-back beauty and Koepfer's follow-up to win the point.

Alas, it wasn't enough. They were a makeshift team playing an experienced doubles team and it came through in the deciding tiebreak. Heck of an effort getting to the semis having not played together since 2021 and really not concentrating on doubles at all. Koepfer has a ton of talent but is combustive. He lost his cool when Vavasorri framed a volley for a winner on a crucial point and said something that rubbed Vavassori the wrong way. Koepfer, who had been the better of his tandem to that point, did not play as well in the final few games.

All that said, I guarantee the women's match was more exciting. Too many men's doubles points are settled by the serve.

EDIT: originally I posted "mish.t" and it was tagged as an expletive because of the final four letters. Funny.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:43 am
nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:11 am

I have seen her practice but not play! Would love to sometime. Yeah, it was see-saw till the third set, then they all played well at the same time. And it was fantastic! So glad Hsieh finally woke up! And the way Mertens finished it... So good. I felt bad for Hunter, in front of her home crowd. Not so much Siniakova, the way she was acting in the first set.
LOL, I have seen Siniakova behave far more Drama Queen Petulantly so many times, her behavior in the first set barely registered for me.

Post by nelslus »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:40 pm There's nothing I enjoy more in tennis than watching Hsieh play doubles, but I did not get that chance because I was watching the men's semi with Koepfer, the only player on tour I actually know personally. HIs match went to a third-set tiebreak, and his partner, Hanfmann, hit one of the most incredible volleys in the history of tennis to keep them from facing a match point at 4-5 in the third set. You have to google and watch his behind-the-back beauty and Koepfer's follow-up to win the point.

Alas, it wasn't enough. They were a makeshift team playing an experienced doubles team and it came through in the deciding tiebreak. Heck of an effort getting to the semis having not played together since 2021 and really not concentrating on doubles at all. Koepfer has a ton of talent but is combustive. He lost his cool when Vavasorri framed a volley for a winner on a crucial point and said something that rubbed Vavassori the wrong way. Koepfer, who had been the better of his tandem to that point, did not play as well in the final few games.

All that said, I guarantee the women's match was more exciting. Too many men's doubles points are settled by the serve.

EDIT: originally I posted "mish.t" and it was tagged as an expletive because of the final four letters. Funny.
I really did want to watch this match, too. I especially love watching all Slam doubles SF and F matches. I got to see much of the Bopanna/Ebden win. But, I couldn't tear myself away to watch any of this other men's doubles match- Hsieh cannot be denied. In both cases with the men's doubles SF matches, I was kind-of rooting for the teams that lost. For some reason, except when it comes to Rajeev/Joe matches- I love seeing out-of-nowhere doubles teams do well at the Slams. OF course, gotta be especially happy for Oldest No. 1 in the Modern Era Bopanna's win- especially with the class he showed during the 2023 US Open final.
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

Great to see the win for Hsieh and Zielinski in the mixed!

Post by jazzyg »

They were down a break in both sets but ended up coming back in both even though they lost the tiebreak in the first set.

In the third set tiebreak, Hsieh failed to put away an easy overhead. Skupski chased it down near the wall, sent a high lob deep and his team eventually won the point, changing the momentum after Hsieh and her partner were up 6-2. Hsieh and her partner then saved a match point at 8-9 and won three points in a row for the title.

Post by jazzyg »

First slam final for Ostapenko.

What a contrast it will be with Hsieh on one side of the net and Ostapenko on the other.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

The boys' single final will be contested between unseeded Jan Kumstat (17) from Czechia and #4 seed Rei Sakamoto (17) from Japan

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Girls' singles final will be between #1 seed Renata Jamrichova (16) from Slovakia and #6 seed Emerson Jones (15) from Australia

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Just to remind everyone here is the list of last 10 junior singles champions

Boys:

2013 - Nick Kyrgios (AUS)
2014 - Alexander Zverev (GER)
2015 - Roma Safiullin (RUS)
2016 - Oliver Clark Anderson (AUS)
2017 - Zsombor Piros (HUN)
2018 - Sebastian Korda (USA)
2019 - Lorenzo Musetti (ITA)
2020 - Harold Mayot (FRA)
2022 - Bruno Kuzuhara (USA)
2023 - Alexander Blockx (BEL)

Girls:

2013 - Ana Konjuh (CRO)
2014 - Elizaveta Kulichkova (RUS)
2015 - Tereza Mihalikova (SVK)
2016 - Vera Lapko (BLR)
2017 - Marta Kostyuk (UKR)
2018 - En Shuo Liang (TPE)
2019 - Clara Tauson (DEN)
2020 - Victoria Jimenez Kasintseva (AND)
2022 - Petra Marcinko (CRO)
2023 - Alina Korneeva (RUS) (beat Mira Andreeva in the final)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Bopanna became the oldest major champion today, at 43...not first time though, he had won earlier with Dabrowski in mixed...