E. Alexandrova/A. Kalinskaya vs T. Preston WC/A. Rodionova WC
Men's Doubles • Round 2
S. Gonzalez 5/N. Skupski 5 vs F. Cabral/H. Patten
Mixed Doubles • Round 1
M. Joint WC/D. Sweeny WC vs N. Melichar-Martinez 7/K. Krawietz 7
Day session - Not before 12:00am EST
Women's Doubles • Round 2
L. Kichenok 11/J. Ostapenko 11 vs K. Birrell WC/O. Gadecki WC

by ti-amie I hope to be able to follow and/or watch some of these later.

A. Anisimova vs P. Badosa - test for Paula's comeback to the tour.

M. Timofeeva Q vs B. Haddad Maia 10 - Bia rarely takes the direct route to victory and Timofeeva has that win over Woz. Bia will have to be sharp.

A. Mannarino 20 vs B. Shelton 16 - Mannarino can frustrate the s**t out of Shelton if he feels like it.

T. Fritz 12 vs F. Marozsan - Marozsan has been having a ball recently ruining people's day.

A. Parks vs C. Gauff 4 - Parks game is deceptive. Cori will have to take control early and keep her foot on the gas.

by Owendonovan Anisimova takes the first set on her 7th set point. I doubt she finishes this match as she appears to be in some kind pain/discomfort that has her almost crying.

by nelslus
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:13 am Anisimova takes the first set on her 7th set point. I doubt she finishes this match as she appears to be in some kind pain/discomfort that has her almost crying.
The Anti-Suliso Solution. :mrgreen:

VERY impressive second set from Anisimova. If she's injured- she played perfect tennis. Big serving, groundstrokes. Well done. Impressive.

by ti-amie T. Fritz 12 vs F. Marozsan - Marozsan is up 3-0 first set.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:30 am T. Fritz 12 vs F. Marozsan - Marozsan is up 3-0 first set.
.....Lucky draw for Marozsan. :gorgeous:

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:41 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:30 am T. Fritz 12 vs F. Marozsan - Marozsan is up 3-0 first set.
.....Lucky draw for Marozsan. :gorgeous:
He took the first set 6-3. He's a tall man like Fritz so there's no height advantage. Fritz has to regroup or Mr. Marozsan will move on to the next round...if he can hold it together.

The male comms are very good by the way. I think one is Jan-Michael but I'm not sure.

by Fastbackss Shelton's inability to beat lefty's was making me consider a few quid wager on Adrian until I realized how much his play frustrates me to watch

by meganfernandez
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:06 am Shelton's inability to beat lefty's was making me consider a few quid wager on Adrian until I realized how much his play frustrates me to watch
I figured Mannarino would drive him crazy enough to win. Took Shelton in previous round in the SP

by ti-amie I'm still watching Fritz who has turned things around in the second set. He's leading by 5-2 and Marozsan is serving to stay in the set.

by ti-amie Sinner easily through 0, 1 and 3 over Baez.

by Owendonovan Marozsan could use a serve coach.

by ti-amie Marozsan gets it back on serve at 4-5. Fritz was serving for the set at 5-3.

by ti-amie Sabalenka double bageled Tsurenko on Laver. If any match should've been on an outer court that was it. I'm sure Sabalenka would disagree though.

by Owendonovan word.

by ashkor87 Parks definitely needs a coach ..playing like a kid.

by Owendonovan Women's bakery open tonight as Gauff hands a bagel to Parks in the first set.

by martini4me I was just coming here to post a bakery joke. One, very surprisingly, by Diane Parry over Andreeva.

Men's side also, including two by Sinner.

by ti-amie Andreeva seems to have awakened from her slumber...

by ti-amie
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:55 am Parks definitely needs a coach ..playing like a kid.
The Mastodon tennis community agrees with you.

by nelslus .....Future Wimbledon champion Alycia Parks had a rough day today. :gorgeous:

by nelslus P.S. I do like Alycia. But, after watching her and Sophie Chang blowing so many huge leads and chances to win yesterday's doubles match, and today's crap- Alycia has a lot to fix.

by martini4me You're watching first-round doubles matches?? (on one the all-time great days of tennis, no less)

by nelslus
martini4me wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:41 am You're watching first-round doubles matches?? (on one the all-time great days of tennis, no less)
ESPN+. I often am going from match to match.

by nelslus
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:24 am Marozsan gets it back on serve at 4-5. Fritz was serving for the set at 5-3.
....SO, Fritz pulled off the upset today after all. :gorgeous:

by ashkor87 I just love Parry's serve motion!

by Suliso Clearly today is not the day of upsets. So far at least.

by jazzyg I love Andreeva's game.

When she gets a little stronger, she will be a real threat at every slam. i agree with Mary Jo Fernandez. She plays more like Hingis than anyone since Hingis. Whether or not she will develop the power to win a huge event remains to be seen.

by nelslus LOL, Townsend and Melo had a set point in the first set tiebreaker on Taylor's serve- didn't get there (not Taylor's best serving day), they lose the first set. Third set tiebreaker- they go up 6-1. Then, I believe it got back on serve. Townsend and Melo then got to two match points- including a double fault from Glasspool. First match point- good service point from Glasspool. Second- Melo double faults- 9- all. Next point, Melo hits a weak second serve- Kudermetova and Glasspool end up winning the point. Kudermatova serves with a match point. Melo hits a good return, some rallying- then, what should have a put away volley from Melo, he wimps over the net....leading to, I believe, a winning shot from Kudermatova. (I am beyond exhausted- so, don't necessarily trust any of my above match details.) :freaking:

Mind you, not the best tennis from Taylor, either, from what I saw of the match. But- if Melo had played half-way decent tennis- they would have won. I want to get a step-ladder and slap Melo in the face. UGGGHHHHH!!!!! :bang:

by nelslus
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:05 am I love Andreeva's game.

When she gets a little stronger, she will be a real threat at every slam. i agree with Mary Jo Fernandez. She plays more like Hingis than anyone since Hingis. Whether or not she will develop the power to win a huge event remains to be seen.
Totally saw the same Hingis vibe from Mirra. Much to admire about her game. BUT, I mean- Parry had a 5-1 lead in the third set!! AND- Mirra also appears to bring a whole bunch of Hingis' brattiness to the table. Her squeaks and squacks and shrieks and genuflections. She makes Ben look staid on the court. OF COURSE, I also get that she's 16, could grow out of all of this, blah blah blah blah.

LOL, I'm just also bizarrely extremely grumpy right now. As I currently am watching the Frech/Zaharova melodrama currently going on- I am just SO!!!! sick and TIRED!!!! of all these LONGGGGG, plot-twisty Greek dramas. First they hit screaming, miraculous winners, followed by the inevitable choking. Could anyone just win a simple match please?!?! I needs me smelling salts!!!! :shock:

by mick1303

Yeah, I've noticed that immediately when I first saw her. She has the same thing Hingis had - instinctual anticipation ability. Can't be trained IMO, just a natural talent.

by Suliso One small upset on the women's side after all - Haddad Maia has been beaten easily by the mighty qualifier!

Kostyuk vs Timofeeva for a right to face Gauff in QF's.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:22 am One small upset on the women's side after all - Haddad Maia has been beaten easily by the mighty qualifier!

Yikes!!

by Fastbackss
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:06 am Shelton's inability to beat lefty's was making me consider a few quid wager on Adrian until I realized how much his play frustrates me to watch
Unimportant update to this.
My snarky post made me look up the odds. Mannarino was nearly 2 to 1 odds.
So I went to back up my comment. But am traveling for work and the app got confused by my location since I am out of state, and the third time it asked me to restart - I bailed.

Anyway it was a fun match to watch. I woke up and caught fifth set

by Suliso 35 year old Mannarino will have a career high ranking Monday after next.

by Fastbackss Storm Hunter got tight trying to close out the match. Had 2 match points on opposing serve - first one Barbora hit a fantastic swinging volley. Second one Storm hit the UFE.

She then got broken and lost the set.

by ptmcmahon
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 pm 35 year old Mannarino will have a career high ranking Monday after next.
Just one more of those old guys keeping Next Gen down :D

by Owendonovan Has Andreev played Ostapenko yet in her young career? I want to watch that match especially if they're both feeling moody.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:47 am
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:22 am One small upset on the women's side after all - Haddad Maia has been beaten easily by the mighty qualifier!

Yikes!!
Timofeeva is playing with house money. Wozniacki was rolling her 6-1 and a break in the second, I think, in the second round. Commentator said she is a known fighter. Certainly is. Good for her.

by meganfernandez
mick1303 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:43 am

Yeah, I've noticed that immediately when I first saw her. She has the same thing Hingis had - instinctual anticipation ability. Can't be trained IMO, just a natural talent.
Yeah, it's lovely to see. She was also courageous last night... isn't that something we see from the teenagers, who don't have a sense of their own tennis mortality yet? :) Anyway, she made great decisions on nearly every ball fro 1-5 down in the third.

by meganfernandez
Owendonovan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 pm Has Andreev played Ostapenko yet in her young career? I want to watch that match especially if they're both feeling moody.
Nope. You think Andreeva is a drama queen? :) She was yelling her two-part "Come on! Let's go!" on every point in her third-set comeback, but I guess you can't blame her.

by meganfernandez Korda's performance in the 2nd set tiebreak almost makes me get off the Sebi Train I've been on for a while. He was up 4-2, I think - definitely a mini break - and came in behind a great approach to the BH. Rublev scraped it up for a lob, and Sebi totally misjudged it and let it go over his head, scurried back for it, but didn't get there in time. It was like he froze - a club-level mistake. A few points later, he charges again (good for him to keep coming forward after that) and has an easy backhand volley to a wide-open court down the line (not even close to the line, actually) and knifes it sharp cross-court instead, I assume to avoid Rublev's forehand. But Rublev saw it coming from a mile away and bunted a BH pass. Just a couple poor decisions and Sebi lost the tiebreak. Instead of drawing even in the match, he's down 2 sets to love and loses in three. He had a lot of trouble controlling Rublev's pace.

I know it doesn't mean Sebi is hopeless. But now I worry.

Mistakes at 3:49 here -
On the right side, he set up those points beautifully,

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:05 pm Korda's performance in the 2nd set tiebreak almost makes me get off the Sebi Train I've been on for a while. He was up 4-2, I think - definitely a mini break - and came in behind a great approach to the BH. Rublev scraped it up for a lob, and Sebi totally misjudged it and let it go over his head, scurried back for it, but didn't get there in time. It was like he froze - a club-level mistake. A few points later, he charges again (good for him to keep coming forward after that) and has an easy backhand volley to a wide-open court down the line (not even close to the line, actually) and knifes it sharp cross-court instead, I assume to avoid Rublev's forehand. But Rublev saw it coming from a mile away and bunted a BH pass. Just a couple poor decisions and Sebi lost the tiebreak. Instead of drawing even in the match, he's down 2 sets to love and loses in three. He had a lot of trouble controlling Rublev's pace.

I know it doesn't mean Sebi is hopeless. But now I worry.

Mistakes at 3:49 here -
On the right side, he set up those points beautifully,
Everything means that Sebi is hopeless. AND then, compare his career to his sisters'....... :shock:

by ti-amie
nelslus wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:46 am
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:24 am Marozsan gets it back on serve at 4-5. Fritz was serving for the set at 5-3.
....SO, Fritz pulled off the upset today after all. :gorgeous:
:lol:

Indeed

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:00 pm 35 year old Mannarino will have a career high ranking Monday after next.
I have said it before. If you are an amateur, like all of us are, Mannarino is the guy you should try to play like.
Gunning for the not too shabby title of greatest over achiever ever. With that game, this guy is a testament to how many different ways you can play this sport.
ESPN gave this tidbit: Mannarino does not have a clothing sponsor BECAUSE HE DOES NOT WANT ONE. He will not sign a contract. Very odd.