by meganfernandez Congratulations! Grancordero is the sole winner of the women’s SP! Now let’s see if Gran can beat the draw! We are all pulling for you! And it means Yastremska has to beat Novskova, among other results.

Well done! You succeeded where 135 others failed - and did it in your first-ever SP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Suliso Why is he already a sole winner? Can't it still be a draw with Azarenks pickers?

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Why is he already a sole winner? Can't it still be a draw with Azarenks pickers?
Oh of course! I forgot Gran isn’t through yet!

My bad. Another rookie SP coordinator mistake.

Leaving this thread up in case Kalinskaya wins in a few hours. And I can’t see how to delete the topic on Tapatalk.

I guess I have to stop laughing at Steve Harvey for announcing the wrong Miss America winner that one time. One of my favorite fails ever.

by ptmcmahon You can probably edit the subject of your messages .. and the message itself... to say Gran is "a" winner I guess :)

by Grancordero Wow! Now it´s official! My first SP and my first win. So happy about it. Slim chances to beat the draw, though. I´ll need a little help from Kostyuk or Krejcikova, since I´ve already picked Gauff. Thanks everyone for your hard work in keeping this game possible!

by dave g Congratulations, especially for winning your first Survivor Pool. Most of us take five or six pools to figure them out.

by Grancordero Thanks so much, Dave. It was a very strange edition, both ATP and WTA. I fell one pick short of making the last 20something who won the ATP SP and three days into the WTA SP there were only like 20 of us left. From what I´ve seen from past editions, it´s highly unusual to have both contests settled down by second-week Monday...

by ptmcmahon
dave g wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:37 pm Congratulations, especially for winning your first Survivor Pool. Most of us take five or six pools to figure them out.
Figure them out? Who here has really figured them out? :D Most SPs seems like the more you know the worse it is for you.

by ptmcmahon
Grancordero wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:01 pm Thanks so much, Dave. It was a very strange edition, both ATP and WTA. I fell one pick short of making the last 20something who won the ATP SP and three days into the WTA SP there were only like 20 of us left. From what I´ve seen from past editions, it´s highly unusual to have both contests settled down by second-week Monday...
This is definitely the quickest combo end!

by New England Nitemare Congratulations! Gran!! Winning the SP on your first try!! What an accomplishment!! A job well done!! It took me 4 years to win my first pool, and when I won, I did the Wimbledon double!!!

by ponchi101 Congrats, Grancordero! :clap: :clap: :clap:

For those that do not speak Spanish.
Gran's nickname translates into "Big Sheep", or RAM, in some places.
I guess he could not go for GOAT when he chose his nick ;)

by Grancordero Hahaha! Thanks everyone! The nickname is a private joke, doesn´t make any real sense, but, yeah, it would be like a ram or a big lamb (literally). No sense, anyway, as I said. Let´s see if Kostyuk beats Gauff and there´s a chance to beat the draw (highly unlikely, I know).

by Omegadoom Congratulations Grancordero!! Amazing feat you pulled off! :notworthy:

Many thanks to Meganfernandez, in running this contest, and providing the daily "Selected Judgements." You did an excellent job for this being your first time!

by 161stAndChilla Bravo, Grancordero!

by meganfernandez
Omegadoom wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:36 pm Congratulations Grancordero!! Amazing feat you pulled off! :notworthy:

Many thanks to Meganfernandez, in running this contest, and providing the daily "Selected Judgements." You did an excellent job for this being your first time!
Thanks! I only messed up like 5 times. :) Appreciate Ponchi, Dave and JT for helping get me up to speed, and all of you for your patience. It's actually the kind of methodical work I love. And now I will never type more than a last name when I make a pick.

by meganfernandez
Grancordero wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:30 pm Hahaha! Thanks everyone! The nickname is a private joke, doesn´t make any real sense, but, yeah, it would be like a ram or a big lamb (literally). No sense, anyway, as I said. Let´s see if Kostyuk beats Gauff and there´s a chance to beat the draw (highly unlikely, I know).
I think you (and Kostyuk and Yastremska) have a decent shot.

by Oploskoffie
dave g wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:37 pm Congratulations, especially for winning your first Survivor Pool. Most of us take five or six pools to figure them out.
Seasons you mean. Surely. :P

by Oploskoffie I'm amazed there is even one winner :lol: Congratulations, Grancordero! A memorable win for sure! :)

by ponchi101 BTW, Grancordero. I will not award your trophy yet, as it is traditional that we wait until the person is out of the pool. Also, we are rotting for you to beat the draw, and you know, we have this thing about jinxes and such.
Hope to award your trophy ON SATURDAY. ;)

by ptmcmahon I think I'll root for Grancordero instead :D

by ponchi101 Well, it did not go GranCordero's way, but still, a fine first time showing.
Your :trophy: has been awarded, GC. May it be the first of many :clap:

by joanjettson Congratulations, Grancordero!

I was pulling for you and Kostyuk vs Gauff.
But yikes, what a stress fest - I didn't watch that match so much as it happened to me.

And meganfernandez, well done! I failed to qualify for the tournament and still had a great time lol :)

by ptmcmahon Haha, don't go placing ideas like that :D

We'd all have to hope to be lucky losers I think!

by Jeff from TX Congratulations Gran! And thanks Megan - you did an awesome job.

by meganfernandez
joanjettson wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:27 pm Congratulations, Grancordero!

I was pulling for you and Kostyuk vs Gauff.
But yikes, what a stress fest - I didn't watch that match so much as it happened to me.

And meganfernandez, well done! I failed to qualify for the tournament and still had a great time lol :)
Thanks for your good attitude about the Day 1 deadline. So sorry! Next time! Think of the misery you avoided, though. It was a tough one.
Jeff from TX wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:54 pm Congratulations Gran! And thanks Megan - you did an awesome job.
Thanks!

by Irena2 :bananas: Congratulations Grancordero!