by ti-amie Rod Laver Arena
Twilight session - From 11:00pm EST

Women's Doubles • Final
L. Kichenok 11/J. Ostapenko 11 vs S. Hsieh 2/E. Mertens 2

Twilight session - Not before 3:30am EST

Men's Singles • Final
J. Sinner 4 vs D. Medvedev 3

by SpeakNoEvil I have to favour Sinner given their respective runs as well as his wins over Medvedev at the tail end of last year. That said, Medvedev's got the experience at this stage and being the considerable underdog might give him the mental edge. Lot of pressure on Sinner to follow through now but he has shown plenty of composure recently and so I don't expect he will falter at the final hurdle.

by ti-amie

I guess that they did this for Day 14 as well but I'm not on Xitter a lot these days.

by skatingfan The legend of Hsieh Su-Wei grows winning both Mixed, and Women's Doubles titles.

by nelslus
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:53 am The legend of Hsieh Su-Wei grows winning both Mixed, and Women's Doubles titles.
Hsieh and Mertens were incredible in the first set. Then, they held on, JUST enough, in the second set. Way too many errors (mixed up with great shots) from Ostapenko and Kichenok. As I had expected, once Hsieh held to get to 6-5 in the second set (Mertens had a really weak service game when they were serving for the match up 5-4 in the second), Kichenok had a really nervous last service game, and was broken at love.

Nevertheless- YAY!!!! :yahoo:

by ashkor87 The best female doubles player ..the best period?

by ashkor87 Normally, I would be equally happy whoever wins today but now that I have predicted Sinner, I am biased...so sad..
Now my predictions are interfering with my enjoyment of the game!!

by Suliso I have to say this is a really disappointing performance by Sinner in his first GS final. Of course Medvedev is very good, but still...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:I have to say this is a really disappointing performance by Sinner in his first GS final. Of course Medvedev is very good, but still...
Has he forgotten how to run around a backhand? He just hit 5-6 in a row from almost the middle of the court. He isn’t playing aggressively at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez Everyone on Twitter is saying Meddy is just playing out of his mind and Jannik isn’t doing much wrong, and how in the WORLD could they have anticipated Meddy would play so aggressively…

I disagree … Jannik hasn’t played that well, hasn’t stepped in much and tried to control rallies, and has hit a few very poor drop shots (he got lucky on a couple that Meddy hit the approach right back to him instead of up the line).

And is it that shocking that Meddy would try to shorten points after his long matches earlier? And would be playing like Novak did when he beat Sinner at the tour finals?

As for Medvedev's tighter return position, it's only surprising for a few minutes. Shouldn't continue to be flummoxing for a whole set. Should have been an easy adjustment to make.

by Suliso He failed to win in straight sets, though. Let's see if it means anything or just a temporary loss of concentration.

by Suliso Now the dynamics of the match is very different from the first two sets. We should probably also take into account that Medvedev is playing his second straight five set match.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote:Now the dynamics of the match is very different from the first two sets. We should probably also take into account that Medvedev is playing his second straight five set match.
Yeah, Sinner has the physical advantage but Medvedev has the experience and you know he doesn’t want to lose from 2 sets up again. I think he will dig deep.

Medvedev looked gassed at times in the fourth.:: but he just played a 39-shot rally. I don’t know if Sinner is trying to extend rallies and wear him out or if he has reverted to playing passively.

by texasniteowl Is my math correct? Is this the 35th 5 set match?

I agree Sinner has the physical advantage right now...but as it gets late into the set, will he tighten up...I wouldn't make a bet on this one right now personally.

by Suliso BBC is writing this is Medvedev's 31st set out of theoretically possible 35 (7 straight 5-setters). For Sinner it's 24th set of the tournament.

by Suliso It could certainly still go either way. A slight advantage to Sinner because he's younger, has spent less time on court and is serving first.

by Suliso I think Medvedev is running out of gas at last. He has now spent more hours on court than anyone else in the history of GS (open era).

by Suliso Now just a game away from a GS glory. :)

by Suliso :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:

by texasniteowl Well, that was impressive. A lot of players would have tightened up big time serving for it, but kudos to Sinner. :yahoo:

by ashkor87 I feel very sorry for Med..second time he has lost after being up 2 sets...

by Suliso Had he beaten his SF opponent in straight sets maybe it would have been a different outcome today. But only maybe...

by texasniteowl
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:41 pm I feel very sorry for Med..second time he has lost after being up 2 sets...
you do have to wonder what would have happened if Med hadn't gone 5 sets against Zverev. But still, Sinner played great and kept his head in it.

by ponchi101 Is Daniil the first player ever to lose two GS finals after being up 2-0 in sets? I can't recall anybody else.
I guess... Karma, karma, karma.

Good for Sinner. I guess he has fulfilled his potential, and now let's see how far he goes. We may have a rivalry after all (if Carlitos and him start clashing with each other).

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:07 am The best female doubles player ..the best period?
If you mean NOW, could be.
If you mean historically, we know she is not.

by Suliso If there is any consistent rivalry in the post big 3 era I'm certainly voting for Alcaraz vs Sinner. Now with both being GS champions it makes even more sense to talk about it. The current h2h is 4-4.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:50 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:07 am The best female doubles player ..the best period?
If you mean NOW, could be.
If you mean historically, we know she is not.
Now, of course..else Navratilova and McEnroe among men

by meganfernandez
texasniteowl wrote:Well, that was impressive. A lot of players would have tightened up big time serving for it, but kudos to Sinner. :yahoo:
Yes he kept his head. Medvedev was on fumes. At least Jannik didn’t totally blow it.

Bummer for Daniil, but not despondent like Tennis Twitter is right now. They are acting like Daniil lost limbs in the battle. He will be fine.

by mick1303 As Boris famously said "Nobody died, I just lost a tennis match"

by skatingfan
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:13 pm
texasniteowl wrote:Well, that was impressive. A lot of players would have tightened up big time serving for it, but kudos to Sinner. :yahoo:
Yes he kept his head. Medvedev was on fumes. At least Jannik didn’t totally blow it.

Bummer for Daniil, but not despondent like Tennis Twitter is right now. They are acting like Daniil lost limbs in the battle. He will be fine.
The last time Medvedev lost the Australian Open final it took him a year to recover. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months with his results.

by Suliso Both Sinner and Medvedev has a massive amount of points to defend before the clay season. Given the huge gap both should easily stay in the top four, but probably not challenging for the top two spots yet.

by mick1303
skatingfan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:39 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:13 pm

The last time Medvedev lost the Australian Open final it took him a year to recover. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few months with his results.
Different circumstances. This one should not hurt as much. Today he was not a favorite for the final. Also since nobody mentions it, the crowd behaved within normal. That was not the case in 2022.

by ashkor87 Medvedev will recover fine.. last time he was upset because the crowd kept taunting and booing him..made him feel unwanted etc... nothing like that happened this time..

by SpeakNoEvil Great match. Sinner was extremely nervous at the beginning. He's shown a lot of composure up until then but I guess the magnitude of it being his first first grand slam final and being the big favourite is another thing to deal with entirely. He was really struggling with his serve and it didn't help that Medvedev seemed to be playing out of his skin at the beginning. It felt like the momentum shifted in the second, but after Medvedev closed out the set I started to wonder if that might break Sinner's heart completely. Obviously it helped Sinner a lot that Medvedev had spent so much more time on court - you could see he was breaking down physically bit by bit especially after all those gruelling rallies but Sinner still did well to pull it back. There were moments when he could have let Medvedev back into it and he rode through them. And I think having been through that experience now, he'll be stronger mentally the next time.

by Suliso I wonder what percentage of GS champions win their first final. Djokovic lost his first...

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:26 pm I wonder what percentage of GS champions win their first final. Djokovic lost his first...
My first instinct is that it's about 50/50, skewing slightly more toward lost (maybe 60/40). After thinking about it, I expected the WTA to have produced more rookie winners with all the first-timers they've had lately. Conversely, on the ATP, I thought the Big 3 dominance would have skewed those numbers the other way, producing many rookie losers. Here's a fairly comprehensive list from in the last 20 years or so, off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a few, and I wasn't consistent with how far I went back.

WTA - 22 WON FIRST SLAM FINAL
Serena
Davenport
Sabalenka
Rybakina
Iga
Barty
Osaka
Kerber
Kvitova
Azarenka
Mauresmo
Sharapova
Kuznetsova*
Stephens*
Kenin*
Krejcikova*
Raducanu*
Andreescu*
Majoli*
Myskina*
Schiavone*
Penatta*
* - only won one

WTA - 29 LOST FIRST SLAM FINAL
Venus
Henin
Vondrousova
Halep
Coco
Muguruza
Wozniacki
Bartoli
Ivanovic
Clijsters
Li Na
Stosur
Jankovic*
Muchova*
Brady*
Jabeur*
Collins*
Lisicki*
Zheng*
Leylah*
Pliskova*
Keys*
Bouchard*
Radwanska*
Zvonareva*
Dementieva*
Safina*
Safarova*
Vinci*
* - Slamless

ATP - 13 WON FIRST SLAM FINAL
Nadal
Federer
Alcaraz
Safin
Hewitt
Kuerten
Sinner*
Cilic*
DelPo*
Stan*
Roddick*
Gaudio*
Costa*
* - only won one

ATP - 14 LOST FIRST SLAM FINAL

Djokovic
Murray
Thiem
Medvedev
Ferrero
Ruud*
Zverev*
Tsitsipas*
Nishikori*
Nalbandian*
Tsonga*
Berdych*
Baghdatis*
Coria*
* - Slamless

by Suliso Let's see what we can find limiting to players who reached at least two GS finals starting from Agassi/Sampras generation:

Sampras W
Courier W
Stich W
Agassi L
Bruguera W
Kafelnikov W
Kuerten W
Rafter W
Korda L
Moya L
Safin W
Ivanisevic L
Hewitt W
Ferrero L
Federer W
Roddick W
Nadal W
Djokovic L
Murray L
Wawrinka W
Cilic W
Thiem L
Medvedev L
Alcaraz W

So the answer is that 62% of multi Slam finalists win their first final. In few cases that remains the only one, though (Roddick, Thiem, Cilic, Stich)

by skatingfan
mick1303 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:56 pm Different circumstances. This one should not hurt as much. Today he was not a favorite for the final. Also since nobody mentions it, the crowd behaved within normal. That was not the case in 2022.
I think you're probably right, but I have to think that the forehand that Medvedev hit long at 4-4 deuce in the 3rd set is the thing of nightmares. Hopefully he will bounce back quickly from this result, but it's still got to sting.

by mick1303
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:26 pm I wonder what percentage of GS champions win their first final. Djokovic lost his first...
I also want to compose the stats on the opponents of the first slam winners. Fed had Philippoussis, who was not a slam winner, but not the first time in the finals. Nadal had Puerta, who was a rookie as well. So Sinner starts with a bang - Medvedev is a slam winner and multiple times finalist. No easy breaks for Jannik. Alcaraz is in the same group as Federer - Ruud was a finalist for a second time. In the end it will be interesting to compare 3 groups numerically.

by atlpam
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:33 pm
My first instinct is that it's about 50/50, skewing slightly more toward lost (maybe 60/40). After thinking about it, I expected the WTA to have produced more rookie winners with all the first-timers they've had lately. Conversely, on the ATP, I thought the Big 3 dominance would have skewed those numbers the other way, producing many rookie losers. Here's a fairly comprehensive list from in the last 20 years or so, off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing a few, and I wasn't consistent with how far I went back.

Serena
Davenport
Sabalenka
Rybakina
Iga
Barty
Osaka
Kerber
Kvitova
Azarenka
Mauresmo
Sharapova
Kuznetsova*
Stephens*
Kenin*
Krejcikova*
Raducanu*
Andreescu*
Majoli*
Myskina*
Schiavone*
Penatta*
* - only won one

Venus
Henin
Vondrousova
Halep
Coco
Muguruza
Wozniacki
Bartoli
Ivanovic
Clijsters
Li Na
Stosur
Jankovic*
Muchova*
Brady*
Jabeur*
Collins*
Lisicki*
Zheng*
Leylah*
Pliskova*
Keys*
Bouchard*
Radwanska*
Zvonareva*
Dementieva*
Safina*
Safarova*
Vinci*
* - Slamless

Nadal
Federer
Alcaraz
Safin
Hewitt
Kuerten
Sinner*
Cilic*
DelPo*
Stan*
Roddick*
Gaudio*
Costa*
* - only won one

Djokovic
Murray
Thiem
Medvedev
Ferrero
Ruud*
Zverev*
Tsitsipas*
Nishikori*
Nalbandian*
Tsonga*
Berdych*
Baghdatis*
Coria*
* - Slamless
Just a small point but Stan should not be asterisked sine he won 3 slams.

by Fastbackss
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:49 pm Is Daniil the first player ever to lose two GS finals after being up 2-0 in sets? I can't recall anybody else.
I guess... Karma, karma, karma.
First in the open era, yes

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:57 am I have to say this is a really disappointing performance by Sinner in his first GS final. Of course Medvedev is very good, but still...
.....FINALLY, The Powers of Suliso provide us with some good in the world!!!!

(Even if I am RATHER!!!! underwhelmed with Sinner.....)

by JTContinental
atlpam wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:06 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:33 pm

Serena
Davenport
Sabalenka
Rybakina
Iga
Barty
Osaka
Kerber
Kvitova
Azarenka
Mauresmo
Sharapova
Kuznetsova*
Stephens*
Kenin*
Krejcikova*
Raducanu*
Andreescu*
Majoli*
Myskina*
Schiavone*
Penatta*
* - only won one

Venus
Henin
Vondrousova
Halep
Coco
Muguruza
Wozniacki
Bartoli
Ivanovic
Clijsters
Li Na
Stosur
Jankovic*
Muchova*
Brady*
Jabeur*
Collins*
Lisicki*
Zheng*
Leylah*
Pliskova*
Keys*
Bouchard*
Radwanska*
Zvonareva*
Dementieva*
Safina*
Safarova*
Vinci*
* - Slamless

Nadal
Federer
Alcaraz
Safin
Hewitt
Kuerten
Sinner*
Cilic*
DelPo*
Stan*
Roddick*
Gaudio*
Costa*
* - only won one

Djokovic
Murray
Thiem
Medvedev
Ferrero
Ruud*
Zverev*
Tsitsipas*
Nishikori*
Nalbandian*
Tsonga*
Berdych*
Baghdatis*
Coria*
* - Slamless
Just a small point but Stan should not be asterisked sine he won 3 slams.
Kuznetsova has two slams as well