College Basketball Thread

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: College Basketball Thread

Post by ponchi101 »

It doesn't exist here. Sure, let's think about it for next year.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

The women's tournament has been a lot of fun if you've only been watching the men's. Two #1 seeds were upset in the 2nd round, something that has happened very rarely in the women's tournament, likely aided by playing in front of a home crowd. Games will resume on Friday on ESPN.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:19 pm But I'm thinking it could probably work just as easily as a Survivor Pool, pick one team a day, can't reuse em. Maybe next year if I think of it we can try it here (or maybe it already exists?)
For rounds 1 and 2, one pick per region? Then from sweet 16, one pick per day?
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

That seems like way too many picks to me. Having to survive 4 picks for the first four days (while saving 4 teams) seems near impossible :)

Or do you mean for round 1 we have four picks total over BOTH days for the whole first round? That sounds probably more reasonable.
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

For the record, while I guess it could be interesting to test it out, traditional bracket challenge works too. But there was varying level of interest year to year when we did it in the past and at least some of who used to participate aren't around much anymore, but it was never a high number that wanted to do it to begin with. I'm not sure if turning March Madness into an SP pool would attract more interest than the bracket challenge did. Maybe it will, I have no idea. But just putting it out there, there seems to be limited college basketball interest on this forum.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Even our tennis contests often only get 7-8 players so I don't see the issue there :D

Either way odds are I forget about it until day 2 next year anyway.
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:41 am The women's tournament has been a lot of fun if you've only been watching the men's. Two #1 seeds were upset in the 2nd round, something that has happened very rarely in the women's tournament, likely aided by playing in front of a home crowd. Games will resume on Friday on ESPN.
The women's tournament has been great so far, Yes, very rare air when two #1 seeds go down before the round of 16. I think it's only happened 8 times in the history of the women's tournament. I really thought Indiana was a lock to get to the Final Four, they had been ranked #2 most of the year. But Miami had other ideas. I was less confident about Stanford, they had struggled mightily offensively at the end of the season. I actually had Iowa beating Stanford in the regional final. Ole Miss was tough defensively, Stanford never felt comfortable out there.

But South Carolina is playing at another level. I don't see anyone beating this team right now. Dawn Staley's crew is on a mission to become only the 4th school to repeat as National Champions.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:42 am Or do you mean for round 1 we have four picks total over BOTH days for the whole first round? That sounds probably more reasonable.
Yes, that is what I meant. So, for round 1, Thursday & Friday, you make 4 total picks, one per region. Then for round 2, Saturday & Sunday, you make 4 total picks, one per region. Then starting with the sweet 16, weekend #2, you make just one pick per day.
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

So if I picked Stanford women on Day 2 in the West and lost, can I still pick a team out of the West in Sweet 16 if my other picks win?
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

It's a survivor pool, one loss and you're out :)
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

texasniteowl wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:02 am
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:42 am Or do you mean for round 1 we have four picks total over BOTH days for the whole first round? That sounds probably more reasonable.
Yes, that is what I meant. So, for round 1, Thursday & Friday, you make 4 total picks, one per region. Then for round 2, Saturday & Sunday, you make 4 total picks, one per region. Then starting with the sweet 16, weekend #2, you make just one pick per day.
Gotcha. So this would be 14 total picks in a 64 team tournament. Might be too many still, given in comparison with a Tennis Survivor Pool for a Grand Slam we are making usually 12 (or 10/11) picks in a 128 player tournament. Especially given how many upsets there can be :)

Post by JazzNU »

ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:24 am Even our tennis contests often only get 7-8 players so I don't see the issue there :D

Either way odds are I forget about it until day 2 next year anyway.
We did it on TAT 1.0. So it wasn't 7-8 players on tennis contests back then and obviously tennis survivor gets considerably more. Just pointing it out, do what you wish. As the person who ran the NCAA brackets on TAT 1.0 a few times, I was disappointed in how few were interested given how popular March Madness pools are in this country whether you know college basketball or not.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

My brother had his one year old use Cheerios to pick teams this year :) She's not in last yet (for now.)

I actually did the same years ago with the kids using ring toys - one color for each team.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would play.
But I don't even know where 90% of teams are located, geographically ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

90% of people who play probably don't know where 90% of the teams are located.