College Basketball Thread

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: College Basketball Thread

Post by JazzNU »

Fantastic! Who gives a damn that traditional blue bloods aren't in the Final Four when we can get a game and a finish like that? I'll post video when I see it. Right now I'm only seeing the final shot, hopefully there will be video with the final 2 possessions.

Big congrats to SDSU! And Florida Atlantic, tough loss, but they should be nothing be proud of their run. Forever changed their school and theirprogram with this run.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

This is Jim Nantz's last Final Four. March Madness will surely miss him.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

Very happy for the LSU players, they are who I ended up rooting for. From the Final Four games til before the game today, the amount of hype I saw ONLY about Caitlin Clark, especially coming from ESPN and ESPN handles and very little about Angel Reese or any of the LSU players and then had the nerve to see some stuff about the increasing popularity of the women's tournament and talk of NIL and zero mention of Angel Reese. I was done, that sealed the deal on who I was rooting for, just trying to ignore their devil coach. Does anyone make more money than Angel in NIL money? I don't believe so, she's top 3 if not the #1 of all college basketball players, men or women.

Now, despite being happy for the LSU players, what a terrible officiating job. Phantom calls left and right because who doesn't want the best players on both teams in foul trouble in the first half of a National Championship game? Czinano had a rough night, that first one was a foul, the second one was nonexistent. Angel getting a hand on the ball and deflecting it off the Iowa player, clearly not a foul and yet called for one anyway. Just a brush got you a foul for whatever reason and very few early ones called were contact deserving of getting a call. And then a complete BS tech on Caitlin late in the game was just ridiculous. That was a whole lot of nothing. Iowa was highly unlikely to mount a comeback at that point, but there was just no need for that level of ticky tack officiating in the first round, let lone in the championship game. It's been a poor officiated tournament, but this took the cake.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:40 am Fantastic! Who gives a damn that traditional blue bloods aren't in the Final Four when we can get a game and a finish like that? I'll post video when I see it. Right now I'm only seeing the final shot, hopefully there will be video with the final 2 possessions.

Big congrats to SDSU! And Florida Atlantic, tough loss, but they should be nothing be proud of their run. Forever changed their school and theirprogram with this run.
Well, there is one blue blood in the final four. Hopefully they lose tomorrow :)
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:01 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:40 am Fantastic! Who gives a damn that traditional blue bloods aren't in the Final Four when we can get a game and a finish like that? I'll post video when I see it. Right now I'm only seeing the final shot, hopefully there will be video with the final 2 possessions.

Big congrats to SDSU! And Florida Atlantic, tough loss, but they should be nothing be proud of their run. Forever changed their school and their program with this run.
Well, there is one blue blood in the final four. Hopefully they lose tomorrow :)
Of course, but I was talking about that specific game and the narrative surrounding the Final Four in general. I think people forget that UConn is a Blue Blood or close enough because they aren't consistently there every year, but their winning percentage is insane once they get to the Elite Eight. It felt like as they were reading the stats yesterday after the win they were like, uh, yeah, so, there's kind of a Blue Blood in this after all. They tie Indiana for national titles if they win tomorrow.

I'm rooting for UConn, but won't be mad if SDSU pulls the upset, will actually be happy for them if they can do it. I sort of lived not that far from UConn's campus growing up, so I tend to root for their men's and women's programs if they aren't playing one of my faves.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

^^ There should be an asterisk here, this is the first time the Women's Final has been aired on ABC. But the semifinals aired on ESPN and those were way up as well, with the Iowa vs. South Carolina game breaking the record for the most watched women's college basketball game in history before this final. So the ABC portion should be mentioned, but still a huge accomplishment and the numbers would've likely been down only a little if it was on ESPN instead of ABC.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »