Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Curling! (the sport, not your hair)

Post by ptmcmahon »

:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The Women's Worlds is interesting...
The ice is not very good, and the rocks are quite dead - this is leading to some shaky curling from all teams (except Tirinzoni). Turkey beat Japan(Fujisawa)!.

Canada has struggled to this point. This is a team that just rolled through the Scotties rather convincingly. But that was on good ice with rocks that respond. Now that the conditions are significantly different, they are kind of lost.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

With Canada and Sweden both currently down looking like it may wind up a huge mess for spots 2 to 6.

The way Switzerland has been playing may not matter anyway.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

After a difficult start at the men's Worlds, Canada has found their rhythm and is on a roll now.

This (below) happened this morning. While we've all seen many great shots in our lives, this one stands out because it's so unusual - and because it will likely change the game, showing that the impossible is possible...
Watch and admire...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Wow. I don't think I would have ever thought that possible.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Funny enough... this comes on the anniversary of the "sideways shot."

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yeah - Ulsrud was a fun guy to watch, for sure.
He died way too young.
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Gushue is leading Edin 8-4 after 8... have to find out if that will be enough to get a bye to semis....it's going to create a tie for 2nd if Scotland also loses...oh and Norway too. Scotland is up 7-4 so not looking likely.

Don't know much about the Swiss team ... other than their skip is married to Tironzoni's lead.

Edit - Edin tried another spin shot at the end of the game tonight to try to take out four Canada rocks. He got two out and almost a third so it was a valiant attempt.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

With Scotland's win I think we're locked into a rematch between Gushue and Edin in the quarters.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:20 am Gushue is leading Edin 8-4 after 8... have to find out if that will be enough to get a bye to semis....it's going to create a tie for 2nd if Scotland also loses...oh and Norway too. Scotland is up 7-4 so not looking likely.

Don't know much about the Swiss team ... other than their skip is married to Tironzoni's lead.

Edit - Edin tried another spin shot at the end of the game tonight to try to take out four Canada rocks. He got two out and almost a third so it was a valiant attempt.
I completely forgot about this game, and only tuned in to see the last (spin) shot when I read your post.
Oh, well.

At least 3 members of the Swiss team have been around for a while - Schwarz, Schwaller, and Michel. Those 3 and Peter de Cruz seem to have been around for a while, sometimes playing together, and sometimes not.
Alina Paetz is in a couple relationship with the Swiss Second, Sven Michel - I don't know if they're married or not.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Maybe all of the attention Edin got from the 'spinner' affected him, as he didn't play nearly as well after that as he had prior.
Today, the Swedes didn't look good at all - easy win for Canada.

Italy beat Norway.

So it's Canada - Switzerland and Italy - Scotland tonight...
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I can’t believe the shot Edin played in the seventh. Seemed a desperation shot which was a little too early in the game to go for. Almost like he was fine taking the risk and losing if he missed it… like they were mentally tired.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:08 am I can’t believe the shot Edin played in the seventh. Seemed a desperation shot which was a little too early in the game to go for. Almost like he was fine taking the risk and losing if he missed it… like they were mentally tired.
Yeah... Russ said he would draw... and Gushue said after the game that they would not have even talked about playing the runback.
Russ made a good point when he said he could understand going for the runback if it would get them 3 or more - but it would have been just for 2, which is only 1 more than they would have scored with the much easier draw.

Close one now vs. the Swiss - 5-5 in 9. But the Swiss have made a few bad mistakes in this end, plus their first skip stone picked, allowing Canada to get the blank...
Going to 10 tied at 5, Canada with the Hammer...
R.I.P. Amal...

ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Good win for Canada, they played a very solid game and day.

Italy almost pulled off a split off a guard to score three and win in ten. A measure had them short and they lost in the extra. Would’ve been a great winning shot.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:04 am Good win for Canada, they played a very solid game and day.

Italy almost pulled off a split off a guard to score three and win in ten. A measure had them short and they lost in the extra. Would’ve been a great winning shot.
Yes, that Retornaz split in the 10th vs. Scotland was less than an inch from being successful and winning the game for them. Great try. Gutsy, too.
R.I.P. Amal...