The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Explaining how the new forum works
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

The new TAT2.0. And how it works (technical questions)

Post by ponchi101 »

Although this forum will not be the same as the previous one, it does have certain trinkets that are of use. It takes just a little to warm up to them.
1. We are now in a 20GB memory space, but as the forum was measured, we are only using 50 MB. That is the forum structure; it will certainly grow as we post but I do not think we will face space issues.
2. Please check out that the NEW TOPIC procedures has its charms. For example, it will always generate a NEW POLL option, in a tab at the bottom. It works nicely (try to make a link; it is very easy).
3. Attachments? Simple drag and drop works (if the format is supported). I have limited the size to 512 MiB, so that is the limiting factor. And the only one.
4. We retain private messages.
5. Because phpBB is sort of like Mozilla (open source), there are plenty of styles and extensions that are readily available from their forum. If you are so inclined, you can go to www.phpbb.com and check it out, or more specifically, to their customize page ( https://www.phpbb.com/customise/ ) and if you see anything you like, we will gladly load it.
6. At the very top left, under the phpBB logo, you will find a QUICK LINKS menu. It will let you see both UNREAD and NEW POSTS, in one convenient menu. It comes close to our lost ribbon.
7. We get SSL, end to end encryption for secure connections (check out the neat padlock by your browsing address). I have no idea how good this really is (PGP, RSA or what encryption) but just for your safety.
8. The forum is enabled for TAPATALK, although I don't know how to link those accounts (the extension is enabled, so feel free to experiment to link your TAPATALK account to your USER here).
9. You can link your profile to your Social Media accounts (FB, Twitter, Skype and YT)
10. Super fast media embed. If in your computer, drag and drop in post window. If an internet address, highlight the address, drag and drop.
11. Drop down menus for quick navigation (in some links).
12. Hover preview of topics. It will display the first 150 characters of the FIRST and LAST posts.
13. TRANSLATION button (on the right, below your login). Don't know how that can help, but we have it! De nada, du rien, bitte, prego... ;)
14. And some truly, truly cheesy styles... :lol: which I am learning you can expand. So we can get all out emojies back!

There is a further thing. The package we got is good for 100 websites. If somebody wants to upload something else, I will gladly assist on that. Domain registration will be up to you, of course.

I am still learning how to use the Administrator functions. Which I will talk about in a separate post.

Last. I still need to make some other fora, to copy as much as possible the previous structure of TAT. Let me know what topics are needed, either in his thread or by PM. And by PM, I mean HERE. Not in our lovely old house.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: What we get in the new TAT2.0. And what we want.

Post by ponchi101 »

One thing that is not related to the software but is of importance is our TAT2.0 structure. As of now, we have this:

C = Category
F = Forum

Indentation means Child to Parent relation

(C) Welcome center
>>>>> (F) Administration, Rules and History
>>>>> (F) Technical Aspects TAT2.0
(C) Tennis Related
>>>>> (F) Talk about tennis
>>>>>>>>>> (F) Grand Slams
>>>>>>>>>> (F) WTA/ATP Tournaments
>>>>> (F) Tennis Contests
>>>>> (F) Tennis Equipment
(C) NON TENNIS RELATED
>>>>> (F) Talk about other stuff
>>>>> (F) Other sports
>>>>>>>>>> (F) NFL and contests (including FF)
>>>>>>>>>> (F) The NBA Forum
>>>>>>>>>> (F) MLB and baseball
(C) BLOGS AND NON-COPPA AREA
>>>>> (F) BLOGS
>>>>> (F) THE DUMPSTER AND NON-COPPA

END
We will need to expand these categories and fora. Anybody can create a NEW TOPIC, but only Admins can create CATS and FORUM.
So, if you want new divisions, just reply to this post, keep the structure you see here, and insert, in a different color/bold/font with the new sections and I will load them up.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

You mention Curling in the 'Other Sports' intro, but you didn't add it as a Forum. Given what has transpired on the original TAT regarding curling discussions, I think it deserves it's own Forum here.
As does Pickleball, of course.

While we're at it, let's create an 'Tennis Equipment' Category, with Forums of 'Racquets/Strings', 'Balls', & 'Shoes' (clothing is not equipment).
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
patrick United States of America

A question on RECENT TOPICS function

Post by patrick »

I can see where we can go to the last post.

Let say, I read 2 posts in a thread/topic. Leave the topic. Then 3 more people post in a topic and I want to read all of them. Will we be able to go directly to the 3rd post and/or we have to go to the first/last post?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:58 am You mention Curling in the 'Other Sports' intro, but you didn't add it as a Forum. Given what has transpired on the original TAT regarding curling discussions, I think it deserves it's own Forum here.
As does Pickleball, of course.

While we're at it, let's create an 'Tennis Equipment' Category, with Forums of 'Racquets/Strings', 'Balls', & 'Shoes' (clothing is not equipment).
I don't think we should add curling as a forum, we can add curling as a topic. You can do that easily :)
Tennis equipment as a category is a bit too much (I think). We seldom talk about those items (it was you and me) so that could be also a topic. Those can be started by anybody, so feel free.
What I would like to avoid is something that I see in a lot of people's computers: folders within folders ad infinitum. And then every folder has only ONE file in it. One thing that I like about phpBB is the COLLAPSIBLE button; you, for example, never post in the OTHER STUFF category, so you can collapse it and get rid of it if you feel so inclined. But if we add too many categories, those in turn cannot be collapsed. I want to see if we can make this forum as user friendly as TAT1.0, and try to give it the same flavor.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

patrick wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:58 am I can see where we can go to the last post.

Let say, I read 2 posts in a thread/topic. Leave the topic. Then 3 more people post in a topic and I want to read all of them. Will we be able to go directly to the 3rd post and/or we have to go to the first/last post?
I think the convenient TAT1.0 function that takes you to the LAST POST YOU READ is not available here. In the RECENT posts category, if you click on the LAST post it takes you to the very last, not the last YOU READ.
Then again, I am learning about this one as I go. It seems to have more functions than I gathered. So let's keep hammering. Maybe there is an extension just for that :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As per request:
We now have our posts NUMBERED. It is a tiny number right next to your name and post info. I chose this setting because it lets you copy the LINK to the clipboard, if you click on the number. The second setting is to have a large number next to the TOPIC SUBJECT. I prefer the discreet setting.

Different from vBulletin. If you send a PM to somebody, your message is kept in the OUTBOX until the other person reads it. If you for some reason want to delete the message or modify it before the other person reads it, therefore you can.
Once it is moved to the SENT MESSAGES category, the other person has read it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Loading your avatar

Post by ponchi101 »

EDIT:
This topic was about uploading your avatar. Since other questions have been asked (and hopefully answered) I changed the title.

About avatars: Since at least two people have told me this is not so easy, here is a brief guide.
Go to:
1. User control panel
2. Profile
3. Edit Avatar
4. Choose file (from the UPLOAD FROM YOUR MACHINE).
5. A standard WINDOWS frame will open. Navigate to your avatar of choice and click OPEN
6. Back here, click SUBMIT

Notice that avatars have size and pixelation limitations. Maximum size is 6.00 KiB, pixel dimensions are 90x90 pixels.
Please let me know if this was of help.

P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJ2004

Re: Uploading avatars

Post by MJ2004 »

Re-sizing mine down was the trickiest part. I used a free online tool.
texasniteowl

Re: Uploading avatars

Post by texasniteowl »

I resized mine in Windows using old fashioned paint. I resized it down to 90x90 jpg but it was still over the file size limit. So I reloaded it in paint and saved it as a gif which "reduced quality" but got it down to the 6kb file size.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Recent posts panel

Post by ponchi101 »

Dear all:
I hope you are enjoying your new house. I know, it is like a cabin log in the boonies, but, well, it has some nice views.
This is in response to Deuce*'s post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28&p=91#p90
---0---
Indeed, yesterday I had to torture test this place a bit and, as I have said, I am still learning how to work the controls here. So if you saw changes, it was me. I will try to do all those things in my OFFLINE copy, so all of you will not be subject to my experimentation.

The RECENT TOPICS box can indeed be set individually:
1. Go to USER CONTROL PANEL
2. BOARD PREFERENCES
3. EDIT DISPAY OPTIONS
4. DISPLAY RECENT TOPICS area
You can then customize it for your own display. On top, Side, bottom, number of topics, etc. You can see and play
5. CLICK SUBMIT to accept changes. In this forum, always click SUBMIT; it is not like other software where the change then is automatic.

Visually:
Recent topics.jpg
Let me know what else needs to be "fixed"
:yD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As we welcome Suliso, he has posted the ATP/WTA topic/thread. This is just a reminder to everybody: starts the TOPICS you want, in the forum you want.
We want to recreate TAT1.0 as much as possible. Or at least, I do.
the Moz Canada

Changing location (Personal Profile)

Post by the Moz »

How can I add my location? Remember it was offered when I registered, but can't find a way to go back and add it.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Edit your profile

Post by ponchi101 »

the Moz wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:56 pm How can I add my location? Remember it was offered when I registered, but can't find a way to go back and add it.
Add location.jpg
Let me know. ;)
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Got it!

Thanks ponchi :)
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: