Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

I'm covering BJK Cup in Orlando this week for Tennis.com. I have some stories lined up, but I'm open to ideas from this intelligent tennis community. Unfortunately, Belgium isn't bringing its A team, so the coverage will focus on Americans. I'll interview Lindsay about her first tie as captain - any thoughts from you guys? Any curiosities? I'm also interested in exploring the leadership of American women's tennis with so many veterans doing well these days and leading the team. Navarro is the only newbie on the team, although I don't know who's part of the practice squad.

I'll be curious to see how much Pegula plays after long Charleston matches. But she has done well in team competition in the past, so maybe this is what she needs.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Does Belgium have an A team? 😀

Looking forward to Lindsay’s debut and to your reporting!

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:10 pm Does Belgium have an A team? 😀

Looking forward to Lindsay’s debut and to your reporting!
Mertens and Wickmayer. And Greet Minnen is up to #70! Given Elise's strength in doubles, she would be a weapon. I'm surprised she isn't playing. She was already in the US for Charleston. Sofia Costoulas #279 is the highest-ranked player. Wim Fisette will have to work some magic. But surprises happen when you play for your country.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Nice to see @meganfernandez
I would be curious about:
Why keys is not playing doubles with TT since they played together at Charleston, why Pegula is,
What special care does Lindsey have to take because it is known she is Madison's mentor
Does she plan to bring in players like Coco and Collins in later rounds or is it even possible to plan ahead.
Of course, I am sure you will explore this- how she feel taking over a team that, frankly,should have won a lot more Cups than it has..
But great to see you covering it, look forward to reading your reports..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Of course, the really big question is- how easy is it for her to get players to agree to play, especially against weak opposition like Belgium sans Mertens and Wickemayer..
Is she looking at Olympics now or focused on BJk,?
What is the main role of a captain, given that every player already is a seasoned pro and has her own coach?
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I think ashkor hit most of the ones I would ask.

To me, the looming Olympics is the big one - whether it will help mold the lineups - or did players sign up with that in mind? Do they discuss it at all (I would think some players want the practice)
Is her idea to get the young players some "reps" for international play against the inexperienced Belgian squad?
Since I don't know - when did the line-up have to be decided? If recent - did she reach out to Danielle and/or Coco?
Is it hard to get players coming off the sunshine double?

Post by meganfernandez »

Thanks for all your inout and questions! The lineup was announced in March 15, so Lindsay had to recruit before the sunshine double was finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by meganfernandez »

I've had misgivings about asking if Coco was invited, because the team is so strong without her anyway (and is the heavy favorite), but it's a fair question that I'm sure all the fans want to know, right? Feels a little provocative but I think people deserve to know why the country's top-ranked player isn't representing the team.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

the interesting matchup is Brazil vs Germany.. Brazil looks the stronger team- and Japan vs Kazakstan.. no Rybakina so Japan should win..Osaka is playing.. France - Britain could be interesting.. Garcia vs Boulter, Parry vs Raducanu etc...US-Belgium is a slamdunk, so is Poland vs Switzerland..
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Nice work so far!

Some good quotes in here
https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/th ... cup-begins
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Fastbackss wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:31 pm Nice work so far!

Some good quotes in here
https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/th ... cup-begins
Yes, read it..lovely article...the balance between individual career paths and the team goal came out well...@meganfernandez
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I wonder if Coco refusing to play BJK and then Pegula being picked to partner Townsend, are signs that Coco is planning to sit out the Olympics...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

great win for Raducanu over Garcia - she did to Garcia what Garcia does to other people - exceptionally aggressive service returns..

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:20 am I wonder if Coco refusing to play BJK and then Pegula being picked to partner Townsend, are signs that Coco is planning to sit out the Olympics...
Coco is focusing on Olympic singles and didn't want any other extracurriculars this year. Pegula didn't partner Townsend in BJK. Dolehide did, Keys was slotted to. I thought Dolehie was very good today. I'll be curious to see if Maddie makes the Olympic team. Right now, I'd go with Coco, Pegula, Collins and Navarro as the four singles players over Maddie.

I'm not sure "refused" is the right word. Declined. We don't know the temperature of the conversation. Lindsay said she hopes Coco plays in the future. And she hopes American women care about BJK Cup more in the future.

Navarro had a fantastic win Friday night. Her opponent was tougher than Pegula's. Both of the Belgian girls played well above her high-200 ranking in their first matches. One of them, Hanne Vanderwinkel, juggles tennis and med school! She's basically going to med school part time right now and taking it year by year.
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:59 pm I've had misgivings about asking if Coco was invited, because the team is so strong without her anyway (and is the heavy favorite), but it's a fair question that I'm sure all the fans want to know, right? Feels a little provocative but I think people deserve to know why the country's top-ranked player isn't representing the team.
Lindsay offered this up, didn't have to ask. I didn't press her on how Coco replied. Her team made it known at the beginning of the year that Coco wouldn't play this year. Not sure about the finals in November.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.