Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Country Cups (Davis Cup, Fed/BJK Cup)

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:22 am Australia proved yet again that motivation matters more than ability in Davis Cup,! Beat Croatia ...!!
So, Croatia was not motivated?
These were two very evenly matched teams. One of them had to win, that was all.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:04 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:22 am Australia proved yet again that motivation matters more than ability in Davis Cup,! Beat Croatia ...!!
So, Croatia was not motivated?
These were two very evenly matched teams. One of them had to win, that was all.
Doubles!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Italy vs Canada..#45 best #18..ranking means nothing much in Davis Cup..
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

Deuce wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:57 pm
martini4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:52 pm

What is the problem with "bringing in money"? Do you think the players should still be amateurs, playing for the love of the game? And this tournament is a great replacement for the totally unnecessary ATP Cup, which essentially duplicated the Davis Cup finals two months later, and the former Hopman Cup. An opportunity for men and women to play together as teams should be celebrated, not scorned.
No, thanks.
It's just another B.S. gimmick.

The problem with 'bringing in money' is that when that is by far the primary purpose of doing something, it's ridiculously selfish. It brings money in for the administrators of tennis and the players, all of whom have far more than enough money already. It simply adds to the problem of the rich getting richer (which, of course, is directly related to the poor getting poorer).

I maintain that when money is the primary motivating factor for anything, there is a serious problem.
How is this different than any other tournament? Wimbledon, and the US Open (and presumably the other majors) are cash cows for the national tennis associations, bringing in millions of dollars for them to run their programs. And the winners are getting $3,000,000. Canadian Open, and smaller events too, are the same, just on a smaller scale.

Maybe I've missed some details, but how is the United Cup more mercenary than the Sydney Open and Brisbane Open that it's replacing? The opportunity for joint male-female teams is a unique selling point.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I was imagining the tournament like United Cup probably 30 years ago, when I started watching tennis. Was sure that it will remain only a dream. And now I'm very much interested in how it will unfold. Of course, the price is steep - they basically had to sacrifice Davis Cup. Or maybe it is just an unfortunate coincidence... But Davis Cup with best of 3 format and in the neutral venue is a pale shadow of what it was. Nonetheless - this new United Cup IMO will be an interesting experiment. Will it become an annual event - we shall see. But I consider this a positive thing.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Meanwhile, Tennis.com informs us that Musetti beat shapovalov..poor Sonego, can't even get credit...I suppose all Italians are the same to some journalists...
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 am Meanwhile, Tennis.com informs us that Musetti beat shapovalov..poor Sonego, can't even get credit...I suppose all Italians are the same to some journalists...
It's a mistake, but when I have freelanced for Tennis.com producing the website, I have published several mistakes. And I think I'm pretty good! One's attention is divided into about 100 different shards. It's sloppy, but having been there, I understand how it happens. It's shockingly easy to make what looks like a really stupid mistake. Probably the pressure of getting stuff up fast and not having two sets of eyes on things.

Having edited for 25 years, I know it's possible to stare at an error for an hour and not see it, no matter how good you are. Confirmation bias, tired brains, etc.

I don't think I have ever used the wrong player's name, but I bet I will eventually. It can be updated. Not the end of the world.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Congrats to our Canadian members.
If only you had some proper spirits to celebrate! ;)
(Joking. Go get a whole lot of beers :trophy: )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Nice to see Felix evolving. Even Denis might have even finally matured a small bit this week.
Good for them - it's a nice accomplishment, but not a huge accomplishment. I'd have been far more impressed if they'd have won the Davis Cup back when it was played in its proper format.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

martini4me wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:57 pm
Deuce wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:57 pm
martini4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:52 pm

What is the problem with "bringing in money"? Do you think the players should still be amateurs, playing for the love of the game? And this tournament is a great replacement for the totally unnecessary ATP Cup, which essentially duplicated the Davis Cup finals two months later, and the former Hopman Cup. An opportunity for men and women to play together as teams should be celebrated, not scorned.
No, thanks.
It's just another B.S. gimmick.

The problem with 'bringing in money' is that when that is by far the primary purpose of doing something, it's ridiculously selfish. It brings money in for the administrators of tennis and the players, all of whom have far more than enough money already. It simply adds to the problem of the rich getting richer (which, of course, is directly related to the poor getting poorer).

I maintain that when money is the primary motivating factor for anything, there is a serious problem.
How is this different than any other tournament? Wimbledon, and the US Open (and presumably the other majors) are cash cows for the national tennis associations, bringing in millions of dollars for them to run their programs. And the winners are getting $3,000,000. Canadian Open, and smaller events too, are the same, just on a smaller scale.

Maybe I've missed some details, but how is the United Cup more mercenary than the Sydney Open and Brisbane Open that it's replacing? The opportunity for joint male-female teams is a unique selling point.
The moment someone compares the new gimmicky 'United Cup', which has zero history behind it, and which has come about in an age when such gimmicks are a dime a dozen and are created for the SOLE purpose of further enriching the rich... the moment someone compares that to the Majors and claims similarities is the moment the discussion is over on my end.
Simply put, such a comparison is absurd.

Might as well also compare the newest flashy Babolat frame boasting the 'latest, greatest technology', promising "more power and control" with a Dunlop Maxply Fort, Wilson Kramer, etc.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:30 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 am Meanwhile, Tennis.com informs us that Musetti beat shapovalov..poor Sonego, can't even get credit...I suppose all Italians are the same to some journalists...
It's a mistake, but when I have freelanced for Tennis.com producing the website, I have published several mistakes. And I think I'm pretty good! One's attention is divided into about 100 different shards. It's sloppy, but having been there, I understand how it happens. It's shockingly easy to make what looks like a really stupid mistake. Probably the pressure of getting stuff up fast and not having two sets of eyes on things.

Having edited for 25 years, I know it's possible to stare at an error for an hour and not see it, no matter how good you are. Confirmation bias, tired brains, etc.

I don't think I have ever used the wrong player's name, but I bet I will eventually. It can be updated. Not the end of the world.
Yes, what you say is right .I was just feeling sorry for sonego
He has performed miracles and doesn't even get his name in the headlines!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...