Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:18 pm The guys at ESPN are reporting that, starting in 2025, there will be no more line judges at ANY ATP tournament. It will all be electronic.
Yes, they have an article up on the site and put it out on social media. It's a strange decision given that they clearly don't have a clay option that is as accurate as the other surfaces and that "testing is underway." So you're making this decision before you've totally solidified the tech assuming it'll be ready in just over a year? Testing has been underway on clay for like 10 years and they still haven't gotten those numbers as high as the others.

A lot of people will be out of work with this decision. Even if it's just part-time or temporary work, I'm sure a decent number of them rely on the income in some way.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:27 pm ...

A lot of people will be out of work with this decision. Even if it's just part-time or temporary work, I'm sure a decent number of them rely on the income in some way.
May be $500 that can help with paying the kid's racquet strings. And I am just babbling; I don't know how much a linesperson makes during a tournament.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Electronic line calling has certainly kept matches moving at a consistent pace. It's also removed a whole avenue of drama which, depending on the person, is a good or bad thing. Is the chair ump. next?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Owendonovan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:18 pm Electronic line calling has certainly kept matches moving at a consistent pace. It's also removed a whole avenue of drama which, depending on the person, is a good or bad thing. Is the chair ump. next?
I don't think you could get rid of the chair umpire - you still need an official on the court to deal with the unexpected, and with emergencies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I did not want the line judges to lose their jobs. But now, I want the chair umpires to be removed.
Put an implacable monolith on the chair. Something that will call you for a time violation when the shot clock strikes 25.1 seconds. That will tell the player "Sorry, Stefanos, I am afraid you can't do that" (of course, use HAL 9000's voice here, or Hanibal Lecter's) when Mr. Coiffure decides to go to the bathroom for ten minutes in between sets. That will call out your violations coldly and methodically, simply reciting the rules and codes to the violating player in the coldest possible way, when they request their 3rd MTO of the game after running down an amazing drop shot like a cheetah.
Some sort of TennisGPT AI that will sit there, immutable, oblivious to the player's needs or whines, and will enforce "THE LAW".
You want electronics on your court? You got it!

(Nah, I want the line judges back).
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Genie Bouchard
@geniebouchard
I want to apologize for my tweet yesterday. It was a lapse in judgment, and unnecessary. Though I’ve always championed fair play, I didn’t have all my facts in order and certainly didn’t mean to cause harm. I’m going to continue to work on myself going forward, both on and off the court. ❤️
Reposting like this because the way it cuts off you're giving her clicks when you try and see what the rest of the message is and it's just a heart emoji.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:29 pm
Genie Bouchard
@geniebouchard
I want to apologize for my tweet yesterday. It was a lapse in judgment, and unnecessary. Though I’ve always championed fair play, I didn’t have all my facts in order and certainly didn’t mean to cause harm. I’m going to continue to work on myself going forward, both on and off the court. ❤️
Reposting like this because the way it cuts off you're giving her clicks when you try and see what the rest of the message is and it's just a heart emoji.

She was getting called out for her Tweet mostly because a lot of people are Simona fans, including several in the tennis community with more clout than the norm, and are butthurt about her suspension and they want her to be the next Yastremska, guilty of the finding, but cleared of most of the wrongdoing and given a shortened suspension. If Simona posts the same tweet and Genie was the suspended one waiting on appeal, it's doubtful Simona would've gotten called out for it.. Almost no one was going to bat for Yastremska when those kinds of shots were being taken at her pre-Halep PED positive test.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:53 pm
Any particular point in bringing this up now? I mean, it is not the anniversary (that was at the USO), and it is not as if Connors or Barazzuti are currently engaged in tennis.
Just curious.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:37 pm
Any particular point in bringing this up now? I mean, it is not the anniversary (that was at the USO), and it is not as if Connors or Barazzuti are currently engaged in tennis.
Just curious.
It's because of the ball mark in the Davidovich Fokina vs. Rune match. That call was a mess and a preview of the future.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

José Morgado 🤖
@josemorgado@sportsbots.xyz
MOST WINS in 2023:

Medvedev, 33
Fritz, 27
Sinner, 26

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »