With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
mmmm8

Re: Tennis Random, Random

Post by mmmm8 »

Yes, I've seen footfaults called by the automatic line-calling.

I think but haven't confirmed that there are many cameras, including behind the player
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

They must have multiple cameras, otherwise there is no way this works.
Having watched a lot of ATP cup, there have been a lot of calls that were questioned by the players. I really don't know how accurate the system is but like to see what the players think. Plus, I also mentioned that it seems that the system is not as quick as humans when calling the shots, especially serves. That, I gather, could be corrected.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So will there be a tennis future where the chair umpire has no idea how to umpire because he/she never learned how to watch the movement of the ball or are chair umpires going to be replaced too? Someone posted a picture on Twitter last night of Eva Asderaki during her lines calling days. If you don't have that background how do you do your job?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That had not crossed my mind, but it seems that indeed that could be the case.
Most likely we will get to the stage in which the chair umpire will be just a software operator. And then they will be replaced too.
I said it: put a black monolith there, next to the net. And DO give it HAL's voice. Let's see any of the whining kids go after it: "I'm afraid I can't do that, Nick. It would put the mission in danger!"
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:07 pm So will there be a tennis future where the chair umpire has no idea how to umpire because he/she never learned how to watch the movement of the ball or are chair umpires going to be replaced too? Someone posted a picture on Twitter last night of Eva Asderaki during her lines calling days. If you don't have that background how do you do your job?
^ Yes, that's a good point.
Linespeople will continue to be used in Challengers and Junior events, etc., and maybe on the outside courts of Masters events, for the next few years - simply because it would cost too much to equip all courts at all tournaments with the automatic technology.
I imagine chair umpires will endure even longer - if only to have someone on the court who 'maintains order' (looking for coaching, time code violations, things that automatic line calling is oblivious to like hindrances, double bounces, etc., and any interactions with the players that are necessary during the course of a match).
But, indeed, after all the linespeople positions are gone, how will chair umpires be groomed?

As for the current automated line calling - hawkeye live... I know that hawkeye/shotspot have various cameras placed around the stadium (which would be more difficult to do on outer courts where there is no stadium) - but does hawkeye live use those same cameras placed throughout the stadium? I see that there are cameras at court level with hawkeye live...

I much prefer having people calling the lines than automation - for many reasons.
Just like I prefer to have people playing tennis than to watch a tennis video game.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 pm ...
I imagine chair umpires will endure even longer - if only to have someone on the court who 'maintains order' (looking for coaching, time code violations, things that automatic line calling is oblivious to like hindrances, double bounces, etc., and any interactions with the players that are necessary during the course of a match).
But, indeed, after all the linespeople positions are gone, how will chair umpires be groomed?
Actually, that would be something I would leave to the automatic systems. The double bounce can be picked by machines better, I would think.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Yes, double bonces are notoriously difficult to determine - for any umpire, as well as for the player directly involved and the opponent. It could be picked up by a super slow motion camera, perhaps - but that would require that a human look at the video to make the determination.

Unless they put some sort of microchip inside the balls, I can't see any other automation picking up a double bounce more reliably than a human.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The chair umpire is sitting HIGH on the court. He may be the one with the worst view of a possible double bounce. And double bounces AWAY from the chair are notoriously difficult.
Just saying.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

In case you want a little Italian lesson...The singularly worst call in the history of tennis. The worst.

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:41 pm The chair umpire is sitting HIGH on the court. He may be the one with the worst view of a possible double bounce. And double bounces AWAY from the chair are notoriously difficult.
Just saying.
I know it's difficult to call. But a chair umpire at least is there to make a decision. If there's no chair umpire (and no microchip in the ball), how can it be determined? Just leaving it to the players to settle between themselves is obviously not practical...

I have a linesman friend who thinks they should put back the net judges, and that one of their responsibilities should be to determine double bounces. Maybe that would sort of work...
R.I.P. Amal...

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Like referees in other sports where some automation has come in, umpires would still have an important function to play for enforcing rules around conduct (which of course they don't always do now), determining things like racquet touches, sportsmanship, etc.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

The voices used for the automated 'Out' calls are the recorded voices of front line medical workers in Australia. That's interesting.
It would be even more interesting if, instead of simply saying 'Out', the voice would say things like "Is that the best you can do?", "How could you miss that?", etc. :lol:

One thing that's missing with the automatic line calling is some sort of visual indication. With linespeople, you see the arm go out. But with the automated system, there is no visual indication.
Having a visual indication would help hearing impaired people, as well as those who watch with the sound off. I think it could psychologically help the players, as well.

They could have a red light illuminate when a ball is called out - and position the red light where the linespeople usually are.

No matter what they do with the automated systems, though, I will always prefer human linespeople.
R.I.P. Amal...

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I know typically the electronic scoreboards display the "OUT" call in addition to the audio. Doesn't have viewers at home generally, but should help the players and those in the stands.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Only on very close calls - and it's done about 15 seconds after the shot is hit.

I'd prefer a red light that appears at the same time the call is made vocally.

R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't think the players will not ask for some changes to the system. The lateness of the call and perhaps, indeed, the lack of a visual.
But it will be like everything. We will get used to it, us foggies that still want gentlemen wearing a tie calling the lines will move on and watch old matches in our VCR's, and pretty soon everybody will be all smiles about this. It will get ingrained in the game.
Like at Wimbledon. Progress is only achieved when it is no longer perceived.