Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Tennis Random, Random (On Court)

Post by ptmcmahon »

Except Webster had to change the dictionary because of people misusing words. Literally now can also be defined as 'figuratively" ... and I hate it too :)

One silly thing I do with my friends sometimes now is try to intentionally misuse the word figuratively instead.
:steven:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:13 am Except Webster had to change the dictionary because of people misusing words. Literally now can also be defined as 'figuratively" ... and I hate it too :)

One silly thing I do with my friends sometimes now is try to intentionally misuse the word figuratively instead.
I will join you :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I hope your were figuratively clapping when you did that and not literally!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I was ;)
It is that I hate that too. Last year, my niece was telling me some problem she had, and said "I literally died". I laughed but wondered: has it really gone that far?
It has. It is terrible.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

When even the dictionary gives up you know it's bad!
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:13 am Except Webster had to change the dictionary because of people misusing words. Literally now can also be defined as 'figuratively" ... and I hate it too :)
Had no idea they did that. Doesn't make even a little bit of actual sense.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

The literal (he he) definition M-W added was "used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description"

It's the old "if you can't beat em, join em."
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:17 pm The literal (he he) definition M-W added was "used to emphasize the truth and accuracy of a statement or description"

It's the old "if you can't beat em, join em."
And there's far too much of that ^ going on.
Allowing stupidity to win is tragic.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Autographs have got to be the most useless and meaningless thing on the planet...
Even as a kid, I never understood the attraction of a person scribbling something on a piece of paper, or on a hat, or shirt, etc. What in god's name is the value of that?
In an environment like post-match, they don't even write their name anymore - they simply and literally - yes literally - scribble something incomprehensible, and do this one after another after another...

Of course, capitalism and greed has turned autographs into a for profit business - which is pathetic in my view - but beyond the questionable monetary value, it's a scribble.
That people somehow feel a 'connection' to the person scribbling after they scribble is simply illusionary. There is no personal interaction. Most of the time, there isn't even eye contact. It's as impersonal an interaction as can be.
As far as 'proving' something - it proves only that you were physically near enough to the person for him/her to scribble on your paper. So what? It's so superficial.

I've asked for exactly one autograph in my life - Mario Andretti. I was about 14 years old, and he was walking past me at a grand prix and I asked him to sign something - which he did. I remember looking at his signature and thinking to myself "Now what in hell is this good for?"
I have a musician friend who is quite well known, and I was talking with him as he was signing - scribbling - post card type things in advance of a concert where they would be given out (similar to Tsitsipas above). His hand was getting tired, he said. I jokingly asked him if he wants me to take over the scribbling for a bit. I didn't do it - but I could have, and no-one would have known.
I have sat with this musician, selling his CDs while he scribbles on them for the people lined up - and I don't understand it at all. It's the obsession with 'celebrity' - when people so much as get an autograph - a scribble - from a 'famous person', they behave as if they've just had a three hour conversation with Jesus Christ himself!
It's very sad.

Now, I can understand the interest in actually talking with a favourite player (or musician, etc.), and having an actual interaction where something of value is mutually exchanged. We see these people on TV or wherever, and we can even admire what they do... And so getting the opportunity to talk with them and maybe gain some insight into something you're interested in has value.
I have spoken with numerous pro tennis players and coaches, and have even gotten to know a few, and it's enjoyable to talk with them or joke with them about something relevant. I almost always get the sense that they appreciate that I'm not wanting a simple, superficial thing like a scribble or a 'selfie' with them. At the same time, it's not a big deal.

But seeing people be thrilled when a player scribbles something quickly on a piece of paper or a hat, etc. is worrisome... If kids are thrilled by this non-interaction of getting a scribble which literally takes 3 seconds, it teaches them to place huge value on superficial things and on 'celebrity'; if adults are thrilled with getting a scribble, it is downright pathetic.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Deuce wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:34 pm Autographs have got to be the most useless and meaningless thing on the planet...
Even as a kid, I never understood the attraction of a person scribbling something on a piece of paper, or on a hat, or shirt, etc. What in god's name is the value of that?
In an environment like post-match, they don't even write their name anymore - they simply and literally - yes literally - scribble something incomprehensible, and do this one after another after another...

Of course, capitalism and greed has turned autographs into a for profit business - which is pathetic in my view - but beyond the questionable monetary value, it's a scribble.
That people somehow feel a 'connection' to the person scribbling after they scribble is simply illusionary. There is no personal interaction. Most of the time, there isn't even eye contact. It's as impersonal an interaction as can be.
As far as 'proving' something - it proves only that you were physically near enough to the person for him/her to scribble on your paper. So what? It's so superficial.

I've asked for exactly one autograph in my life - Mario Andretti. I was about 14 years old, and he was walking past me at a grand prix and I asked him to sign something - which he did. I remember looking at his signature and thinking to myself "Now what in hell is this good for?"
I have a musician friend who is quite well known, and I was talking with him as he was signing - scribbling - post card type things in advance of a concert where they would be given out (similar to Tsitsipas above). His hand was getting tired, he said. I jokingly asked him if he wants me to take over the scribbling for a bit. I didn't do it - but I could have, and no-one would have known.
I have sat with this musician, selling his CDs while he scribbles on them for the people lined up - and I don't understand it at all. It's the obsession with 'celebrity' - when people so much as get an autograph - a scribble - from a 'famous person', they behave as if they've just had a three hour conversation with Jesus Christ himself!
It's very sad.

Now, I can understand the interest in actually talking with a favourite player (or musician, etc.), and having an actual interaction where something of value is mutually exchanged. We see these people on TV or wherever, and we can even admire what they do... And so getting the opportunity to talk with them and maybe gain some insight into something you're interested in has value.
I have spoken with numerous pro tennis players and coaches, and have even gotten to know a few, and it's enjoyable to talk with them or joke with them about something relevant. I almost always get the sense that they appreciate that I'm not wanting a simple, superficial thing like a scribble or a 'selfie' with them. At the same time, it's not a big deal.

But seeing people be thrilled when a player scribbles something quickly on a piece of paper or a hat, etc. is worrisome... If kids are thrilled by this non-interaction of getting a scribble which literally takes 3 seconds, it teaches them to place huge value on superficial things and on 'celebrity'; if adults are thrilled with getting a scribble, it is downright pathetic.
I have to agree. We have a hat signed by Bob & Mike Bryan at a Davis Cup match - when we moved I couldn’t figure out why I kept it (or what to do with it). My son did not take it when he moved out. At least the picture of my son and I with the brothers provides a nice memory of our Davis Cup family weekend.

When I was a teenager, I was skiing with a friend at Stratton while a World Cup event was going on. Ingemar Stenmark autographed a napkin in the lodge cafeteria - no idea what happened to that.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I don't know about Rafa but that scene triggers my anxiety

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Why? The water bottles are perfectly ordered and aligned... ;)