National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ponchi101 »

It is the GOP mentality. Damn everything else; if I don't get what I want, I go home with my ball.
Then they question other people's patriotism.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Finding more about this news: the person that shot her was later shot by police during an "armed encounter".
Seems like these people are truly in a crusade; they don't mind dying for their lunatic ideas. Needless to say, that makes them so dangerous.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I feel like everytime I have local news to share, it's Hurricane or wildfire or flooding related!

Hurricane Lee expected to hit landfall over night or tomorrow AM. Seems unlikely to hit here as a Hurricane but almost for sure as at least a Tropical Storm.

:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Be safe!
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

The wind is here now, and power has flickered a few times... but so far we're ok. Lots of flooding on shores/beaches and some trees starting to come down.

The funniest part is Twitter / X is loving the shape of the winds and a certain body part it looks like.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Of course the folks still on Xitter are tittering about the shape of the wind.

Stay safe.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Funny, after my last post I lost power again for .. not quite a minute. Have been fine other than that, although we do have some branches down outside...I suspect some that were weakened last year.

There were lots of power outages throughout province but ... also not as bad as last year. So we got off easier at least.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Lee removed most of my beach on fire island.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Louisiana student punished by school for dancing at private party
Kaylee Timonet was stripped of student government title and denied scholarship support after video surfaced of her at party

Coral Murphy Marcos
Sat 7 Oct 2023 14.40 BST

A high school senior in Louisiana was stripped of her student government president title and scholarship opportunities after a video circulating on social media showed the 17-year-old girl dancing with friends at a party last week.

Kaylee Timonet, a senior at Walker high school, was seen dancing at a private homecoming afterparty on 30 September, behind a friend who was twerking. Earlier this week, the school principal said he would revoke her leadership role and assistance in scholarship applications.

“They basically told me that I should be ashamed of myself,” Timonet told a local news outlet. “That I wasn’t basically following God’s ideals, which made me cry even more.”

The event, attended by Timonet’s mother, has sparked outrage and debate within the student body, with many sharing their support on social media by posting “Let the Girl Dance” banners. Some parents compared the school’s approach to the plot of the 1980s film Footloose.

The high school senior said that she was called into the principal’s office, and was made to watch the video of her dancing after she was informed that he was no longer endorsing her for a scholarship. The principal told Timonet that he “questioned her faith” after he saw the clip, according to the teen.

“I just started crying hysterically,” Timonet said. “I was really, really upset because student government is the best thing that happened to me during high school.”

Timonet’s mother, Rachel Timonet, said she was disappointed that she was not present during the meeting earlier this week. The mother, who was present at the event, added that the student body paid for the private venue at the Livingston Parish Country Club, as well as for the DJs performance.

“They were just having fun,” Timonet’s mother said. “She should not be questioned or spoken about faith at all. It’s a public school, not a private school.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... vate-party
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Okay, I was thinking it was a private religious school until I got to the last line. I can't imagine the gall of anyone to call a teenager into their office, and question their faith.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

skatingfan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:01 pm Okay, I was thinking it was a private religious school until I got to the last line. I can't imagine the gall of anyone to call a teenager into their office, and question their faith.
Yes, I was waiting to see it was a parochial school.

This is insane, these school officials should absolutely lose their jobs.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

skatingfan wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:01 pm Okay, I was thinking it was a private religious school until I got to the last line. I can't imagine the gall of anyone to call a teenager into their office, and question their faith.
Yes, I was waiting to see it was a parochial school.

This is insane, these school officials should absolutely lose their jobs and not be able to work in education (I know that won't happen).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Texas private company paid $75 million in 1 year to bus migrants out of state, report shows
ByKevin Ozebek and Sarah Rafique KTRK logo
Wednesday, October 11, 2023 1:22PM

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Texas paid a private company $75.5 million in taxpayer funds over the span of a year to transport migrants to sanctuary cities across the U.S.

Transaction data provided by the Texas Department of Emergency Management shows the state paid Wynne Transportation $75,561,032.72 from Aug. 19, 2022, through Aug. 23, 2023, to bus migrants out of state.

13 Investigates asked the department for more details on the spending, but our questions were referred to Gov. Greg Abbott's office.

In a statement Wednesday morning Abbott's spokesperson, Andrew Mahaleris, said, "Governor Abbott launched the border bus mission in April 2022 to provide support to our overrun and overwhelmed border communities as the Biden Administration dumps thousands of migrants in their towns. Texas has since bused over 54,000 migrants to self-declared sanctuary cities, providing much-needed relief. In recent weeks, border officials and NGOs in border communities have requested additional support to respond to the unprecedented surges enticed by President (Joe) Biden's reckless open border policies. Until President Biden steps up and does his job to secure the border, Texas will continue busing migrants to sanctuary cities to help our local partners respond to this Biden-made crisis."

Migrants have been transported to Washington, D.C., New York City, Chicago, Philadelphia, Denver, and Los Angeles, according to a news release from Abbott's office.

The state is specifically busing migrants to so-called "sanctuary cities." The City of Chicago's website says that means they "will not ask about your immigration status, disclose that information to authorities, or, most importantly, deny you City services based on your immigration status."

Last week, Abbott announced a special session that includes considering "legislation to impede illegal entry into Texas by providing more funding for the construction, operation, and maintenance of border barrier infrastructure."

The special session started this week.

https://abc13.com/texas-bus-migrants-bu ... /13889625/