National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ponchi101 »

One of those news that makes you feel so hopeless.
So, if a private citizen makes a recording of somebody plotting a criminal act, it is that citizen that gets charged? :cry:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is what you get when Fox and others have spent the last decade or more scaring older, mostly white, citizens into thinking every stranger is someone out to get them just because. There is also another case involving cheerleaders who got into the wrong car and were shot.

Man arrested in shooting of two Texas cheerleaders after one mistakenly got into the wrong car
One of the victims was critically injured in the shooting that unfolded early Tuesday outside an H-E-B supermarket in Elgin, Texas, police said.

April 19, 2023, 6:47 AM EDT / Updated April 19, 2023, 1:22 PM EDT
By Chantal Da Silva
A man has been arrested after two Texas cheerleaders were shot, one critically, after one of them mistakenly got into the wrong car, according to police and the owner of the gym where they trained.

Officers in Elgin, about 25 miles northeast of Austin, responded to reports of shots fired outside an H-E-B supermarket around 12:15 a.m. local time (1:15 a.m. ET) Tuesday, the Elgin Police Department said in a news release.

"Information suggests that an altercation occurred in the parking lot of H-E-B, and multiple shots were fired into a vehicle," police said. Two of the car's occupants were struck by gunfire, with one victim sustaining serious injuries and transported by helicopter to a hospital, where they were listed in critical condition, police said.

The suspect, Pedro Tello Rodriguez Jr., 25, has been charged with deadly conduct, a third-degree felony, police said.

Lynn Shearer, owner of Woodlands Elite Cheer Co., told NBC affiliate KXAN of Austin that the two people shot were cheerleaders who were on their way home from practice.

Shearer said the cheerleaders typically carpooled from the Austin area to her gym. On Monday night, she said at least four cheerleaders were on their way back to the Austin area and had to stop at an H-E-B, where some of the members had parked their cars.

One of the girls accidentally tried to get into the wrong car, Shearer said. That's when, she said, a "guy got out and they saw that he had a gun. And so they tried to speed off and he shot his gun, like five times or so into the car." Woodlands Elite did not immediately respond to an overnight request for comment. The Elgin Police Department also did not immediately respond to an overnight request from NBC News seeking to confirm these details.

According to ABC News, Heather Roth, a cheerleader with the Woodlands Elite, said in an Instagram Live post that she was the one who got out of her friend's car and opened the door of another vehicle she thought was her own, only to notice a man was in the passenger seat. She said she got out of the car and back into her friend's vehicle, the report said.

Roth reportedly said the man approached their vehicle and she rolled down a window to apologize. That's when the man started shooting, she said, according to ABC News. The Instagram Live post was no longer available early Wednesday, but Roth shared a number of posts that appeared to be related to the incident. She did not immediately respond to overnight request for comment.

Shearer identified the cheerleader who was critically injured in the shooting as Payton Washington, of the Round Rock Independent School District.

“She’s won every title there is to win in all-star cheerleading. She’s literally a role model for the kids in this industry throughout the country,” Shearer said. “Everybody knows her. She’s literally one of the very best that’s ever done this sport.”

Messages of support for Washington have poured in on social media in the wake of the shooting, with a prayer organized by Woodlands Elite held Tuesday. Meanwhile, a GoFundMe page organized by the Woodlands Elite Generals to help raise money to cover her hospital costs had raised more than $60,800 as of early Wednesday.

The GoFundMe page said Washington was "stable in the ICU and will have a long road to recovery."

Shearer said the cheerleaders had "grown up" in her gym. "We’ve known them for years, some of them literally, since they were, you know, 8, 10 years old,” she said. “So they’re like our family.”

The shooting, she said "was unfortunate. These girls were just trying to get home."

As Washington faces a long road to recovery, Shearer said, she and the Woodlands Elite team would be there to support her and others affected by the shooting every step of the way.

“Our goal right now is to take it one day at a time and be there for them,” Shearer said.

Shooting comes following 2 similar incidents

The shooting comes on the heels of two other eerily similar high-profile incidents in which the victims were allegedly shot after mistakenly approaching the wrong addresses.

Last week, 16-year-old Ralph Yarl was shot and seriously injured after mistakenly ringing the wrong doorbell in Kansas City, Missouri, while trying to pick up his siblings in an incident that sparked national outrage.

Just days later, Kaylin Gillis, 20, was fatally shot by a homeowner after the car she was riding in mistakenly turned into the wrong driveway in upstate New York.

The two incidents sparked a national conversation around gun violence and “stand your ground” laws, according to which a would-be shooter defending life or property does not have to retreat before taking violent action. The shooting of the cheerleaders is likely to further fuel the discussion.

CORRECTION (April 19, 2023, 9 a.m. ET): A photo caption in a previous version of this article misstated when the shooting took place. The cheerleaders were shot early Tuesday, not Tuesday night.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... -rcna80366
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I agree with your comment, Ti, but there has got to be some other factors at work. How come people are so ready to shoot at other people with such ease? I mean, the rest of the world watches the same movies, the same shows (after all, we watch American movies and TV too) and yet you don't see people in other countries firing guns like that. At the very least, fire into the air.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Someone posted on social media that all they want is one day where they don't step outside and have to ask themselves what is wrong with people. I've asked myself that question every day since I read that post.

I don't know what is happening/has happened here.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

There's the waaaaay too broad "self-defense/stand your ground" laws protecting gun shooters.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I read that yesterday/today (these news keep coming in too fast) another similar event took place. A family was shot at when their basketball rolled into somebody's yard.
Frightening, by now.
(I know, it has been this way for a while, but I am out of words).
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

8-) :D 8-) Both Tucker Carlson and Don Lemon canned today, buh bye for now.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

There are even reports that Tuck'ems departure was met with joy among staff. I guess he's the same sweetheart on and off camera.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:10 am There are even reports that Tuck'ems departure was met with joy among staff. I guess he's the same sweetheart on and off camera.
Not hard to believe if you've read any of Abby's claims.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:22 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:10 am There are even reports that Tuck'ems departure was met with joy among staff. I guess he's the same sweetheart on and off camera.
Not hard to believe if you've read any of Abby's claims.
Nicolle Wallace is having Abby on today.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I wonder who we'll be the next right wing superstar occupying the same spot in programming. There will be someone for sure. The right audience is still there.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:32 pm I wonder who we'll be the next right wing superstar occupying the same spot in programming. There will be someone for sure. The right audience is still there.
My best guest is Will Cain.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:22 pm
Suliso wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:32 pm I wonder who we'll be the next right wing superstar occupying the same spot in programming. There will be someone for sure. The right audience is still there.
My best guest is Will Cain.
I had to look him up and I found this tidbit about Will Cain:
In 2020, Cain left ESPN for Fox News, citing “the direction of the country” as a reason for pushing him to talk more politics and less sports.
https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/will-c ... 0at%20ESPN.

Post by JazzNU »

I used to watch a show he was on. Never my favorite and it was definitely me tolerating him rather than liking him because I watched the show before he was ever on and was trying to continue, but he was also never anything approaching this bad. He would get highly annoying every once in a while in a he's entirely too much to take, gotta turn this off kind of way, but it was mildly tolerable as long as you weren't stuck with just him. He was more a right leaning moderate or libertarian type back then than a straight up far right conservative. Co-hosted a show (different than the one I watched him on) with an outspoken liberal journalist who is also a lesbian and they got along very well despite their differing viewpoints because he wasn't this version of ass backwards then.

He's been plotting this come up for some time. Not sure he'll get it, but it's clearly been the goal since he went all in after leaving ESPN. Jason Whitlock wasn't always like this either. They made choices.