National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by ponchi101 »

She is good, but replaceable. Nicole, Stephanie or Joy get the job done equally well.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Take the insurance money and run thing that happens quite a bit.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This discussion has been going on for a few days on my Twitter TL.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:32 pm This discussion has been going on for a few days on my Twitter TL.

It never ceases to amaze me just how racist and xenophobic the US is. Most countries see being bi or multi lingual as either an asset or a necessity. Not us.

Also, a nonLatinx person taking Spanish 1 and spitting out "Como estas?" would be lauded by the same people who prohibit Latinx people from actually speaking Spanish.

Sigh. :(

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It cuts both ways. The USA has a clear racist component. But, for example, it does not have an official language, and you can get multiple federal and state documents in a language other than English (you can get your driver's license with a Spanish test in NM, for example). That is different than most countries, where you do have an official language. Most of L. America has Spanish as their official language and, if you want to apply for citizenship (again, an example) the test is in Spanish. if you don't speak the language, you will not be accepted. It is that simple.
The rejection of non-local language speaking people is not a sole American trait. Many, many countries will not accept people to be citizens if they do not speak the local language. The USA, in that aspect, is actually ahead of many other countries.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:09 pm It cuts both ways. The USA has a clear racist component. But, for example, it does not have an official language, and you can get multiple federal and state documents in a language other than English (you can get your driver's license with a Spanish test in NM, for example). That is different than most countries, where you do have an official language. Most of L. America has Spanish as their official language and, if you want to apply for citizenship (again, an example) the test is in Spanish. if you don't speak the language, you will not be accepted. It is that simple.
The rejection of non-local language speaking people is not a sole American trait. Many, many countries will not accept people to be citizens if they do not speak the local language. The USA, in that aspect, is actually ahead of many other countries.
Maybe I didn't understand the previous posts. It wasn't about people not speaking English. It's about them not being able to, in addition to speaking English, speak Spanish as well.

Also, when comparing with Latin America, I would say that the better comparison would be with Spanish and Indigenous languages. And yes, that is racist too.

If I've got it wrong, please let me know. :)

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No, we are talking about different facets of a similar issue. You got it right when you see the separation between indigenous people and Spanish speakers in L. America, although that gap is mutual. Many indigenous people don't want to mingle with the rest of society.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:51 pm No, we are talking about different facets of a similar issue. You got it right when you see the separation between indigenous people and Spanish speakers in L. America, although that gap is mutual. Many indigenous people don't want to mingle with the rest of society.
My view is that in most situations of dominant cultures, especially where the dominant culture has colonized the country/area/land, it's hard to really judge what the dominated culture/group would want, since they are usually unwelcomed and discriminated against both on an individual level and an institutional level. I'l let you be the judge of Latin America since you are from there. :)

Kevin
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:09 pm It cuts both ways. The USA has a clear racist component. But, for example, it does not have an official language, and you can get multiple federal and state documents in a language other than English (you can get your driver's license with a Spanish test in NM, for example). That is different than most countries, where you do have an official language. Most of L. America has Spanish as their official language and, if you want to apply for citizenship (again, an example) the test is in Spanish. if you don't speak the language, you will not be accepted. It is that simple.
The US Citizenship interviews are in English and test English-language knowledge.

But I do agree there are a lot of provisions in different languages, although primarily driven by states not on the federal level.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Liquid oxygen to treat water?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:37 pm Liquid oxygen to treat water?
Orlando chooses to purify its water with liquid oxygen since it removes hydrogen sulfide, a gas that can give water a strong scent of rotten eggs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... de87d76e84
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Plus, H2S above 100 PPM is poisonous.
But first time I have heard of this.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 pm Plus, H2S above 100 PPM is poisonous.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had never heard of this. Wow.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:28 pm Plus, H2S above 100 PPM is poisonous.
Yes, but humans can smell it from 1 ppm.