National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Deuce Canada

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:10 am Disagree. If that was the case mass shootings would be once per week here too. Not like we have magically erradicated mental illness in this country.
Do you think all 'mental illness' is the same, with the same roots, etc.?
It is not.
A lot of the acting out of mental illness - like these mass killings - I would say MOST of it - is very largely influenced by the culture of the country, and what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.
The culture of the U.S. in terms of true respect for one another, is quite unhealthy. It is a country where greed and selfishness and 'looking out for number 1' is very much the rule. As such, the value of life is less.

As well, there is the media angle... Is there another country on the planet which exploits and sensationalizes tragedy as much as the U.S.? I doubt it.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Deuce wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:18 am
As well, there is the media angle... Is there another country on the planet which exploits and sensationalizes tragedy as much as the U.S.? I doubt it.
Let me introduce you to British tabloids...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:51 am
Deuce wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:18 am
Let me introduce you to British tabloids...
Granted - but they do it in a very different manner than in the U.S. In Britain, it's farcical and so over the top that it's quite difficult to take it seriously; in the U.S., it is not at all farcical.

And then there are the obvious glaring differences in the two cultures...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:57 am
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:50 am I'm seeing several reports stating the shooter identified as transgender.
The RW is running with this angle. The original source was someone no one in MSM seems to have heard of before.
See how it works? One alleged transperson shoots up a school, and that immediately becomes the narrative. After years and years of white men, mostly young white men, doing exactly the same thing over and over again--and not a word from them.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:01 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:50 am I'm seeing several reports stating the shooter identified as transgender.
The RW is running with this angle. The original source was someone no one in MSM seems to have heard of before.
See how it works? One alleged transperson shoots up a school, and that immediately becomes the narrative. After years and years of white men, mostly young white men, doing exactly the same thing over and over again--and not a word from them.
Sorry Dry. I see your point but, when a young white male shoots up a school, his profile is meaningless because that is the norm. We (or at least I) have "joked" about that here: Mass Shooting? Let me guess the ethnicity.
And I don't recall any mass shooting in which the white-profile of the shooter was not revealed. But, I repeat, by now it is a meaningless piece of data because it is the norm.
If this person is really trans, it would be news because it is so unusual. Sure, demonization of trans people would be ridiculous (this is a first) but this would be very odd indeed.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Video of Nashville shooter entering the school.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000 ... video.html

Police body cam footage of shooter being taken down.
https://youtu.be/lD2BD7vhY48

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/full-body ... 6998597662
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I happen to be home from work this week. And I was keeping an eye on social media, primarily because of the Miami Open.

As an experiment I decided to not watch the news* but instead "watch" it unfold via Twitter.

It was a RIDE. Reckless speculation, every RW point being hit and debunked in succession.
- door unlocked
- police response slow
- police didn't confront shooter
And then...
- female shooter...trans.
Bingo.
The cesspool came out in force with an underlying aroma of "thoughts and prayers" being bandied about from our Congressional members who are NRA recipients.

It became more obvious as to why nothing gets done in our government.

*Speaking of news, I finally watched some CNN at night. I then decided to watch OAN. I barely made it 5 minutes but believe in trying to balance the message so I get different perspectives. Again, I understand why some people are so strident if they refuse to consider alternative positions.

Lastly, as I posted on Twitter, no.
IMG_20230328_150241.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Updates via @NBC

Before Nashville school rampage, shooter messaged former teammate something bad was about to happen
Averianna Patton said she saw the Instagram messages at 9:57 a.m. Monday, less than 20 minutes before police said they received calls about a shooter at The Covenant School.

March 28, 2023, 12:05 PM EDT / Updated March 28, 2023, 1:27 PM EDT
By Minyvonne Burke

The Nashville school shooter warned that something bad was about to happen in messages to a former middle school basketball teammate before opening fire Monday at The Covenant School.

Averianna Patton said she saw the Instagram messages at 9:57 a.m. Monday, less than 20 minutes before police said they received calls about a shooter at the private Christian school.

In the messages, Audrey Hale, the person police identified as the shooter, talked about not wanting to live anymore and said that their family did not know what they were about to do.

Hale is transgender, Metropolitan Nashville Police Chief John Drake said Monday. In the first message sent to Patton, Hale signed it as "Audrey (Aiden)."

Patton tried to be supportive, according to screenshots of the messages. In their last message, Hale said that something bad was about to happen and asked for forgiveness.

Patton, of Nashville, attended Isaiah T. Creswell Middle School with Hale. She said the messages were alarming and she sent them to her father and asked if she should contact someone.

"He text back, 'YES' in all caps. So after that, that's when I started making calls," she told NBC's "Nightly News."

The first call she made was to the suicide prevention hotline, she said, which instructed her to contact the Davidson County Sheriff’s Office. The office told her to call a nonemergency number.

Patton said she was told someone would come out to her home. By the time they showed up hours later, she had already left for a meeting. Patton later learned that Hale was responsible for the shooting.

"I'm trying to still understand ... Just to learn that I received a message before, it's just like, 'Wow,'" she said. "Just pray, just pray."

Patton said the last time she saw Hale was a few weeks ago at a painting event to commemorate a mutual friend who had died in a car crash. Nothing about Hale seemed amiss, Patton said.

Patton said she's now trying to cope with what happened. "I'm speechless," she said.

A motive remains unclear, although the police chief said "resentment" may have played a role in the attack. Hale, 28, had attended the school. Former headmaster Bill Campbell said he remembered Hale as a third grader in 2005 and a fourth grader in 2006, and believes Hale transferred after that school year.

"There’s some belief that there was some resentment for having to go to that school," Drake told Lester Holt of NBC News.

Authorities said Hale carefully planned the attack with detailed maps and surveillance and left behind writings that are being studied by local and federal investigators. There were also indications that Hale had planned to target other locations, Drake said.

If you or someone you know is in crisis, call 988 to reach the Suicide and Crisis Lifeline. You can also call the network, previously known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, at 800-273-8255, text HOME to 741741 or visit SpeakingOfSuicide.com/resources for additional resources.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/na ... -rcna76964
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Updated March 28, 2023, 3:06 PM EDT
By NBC News

What to know about the deadly shooting at The Covenant School:

Police are working to establish a motive in the deadly shooting at the private Christian school, telling NBC News a sense of "resentment" may have played a role.
Police today released body camera footage showing officers confront and kill the shooter. Surveillance video of the shooter arriving on campus was released late yesterday.
The shooter, whom police described as transgender, was a 28-year-old former student who had detailed maps of the school.
The parents did not want the shooter owning guns, Metropolitan Nashville Police Chief John Drake said.
A former middle school basketball teammate said the shooter had sent her messages on Instagram warning something bad was about to happen. The teammate said she was unaware the shooter was transgender.
Vigils have been held across Nashville for the victims of the shooting: Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs and William Kinney, all 9 years old, and Cynthia Peak, 61, Katherine Koonce, 60, and Mike Hill, 61.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fastbackss wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:03 pm
I happen to be home from work this week. And I was keeping an eye on social media, primarily because of the Miami Open.

As an experiment I decided to not watch the news* but instead "watch" it unfold via Twitter.

It was a RIDE. Reckless speculation, every RW point being hit and debunked in succession.
- door unlocked
- police response slow
- police didn't confront shooter
And then...
- female shooter...trans.
Bingo.
The cesspool came out in force with an underlying aroma of "thoughts and prayers" being bandied about from our Congressional members who are NRA recipients.

It became more obvious as to why nothing gets done in our government.

*Speaking of news, I finally watched some CNN at night. I then decided to watch OAN. I barely made it 5 minutes but believe in trying to balance the message so I get different perspectives. Again, I understand why some people are so strident if they refuse to consider alternative positions.

Lastly, as I posted on Twitter, no.
IMG_20230328_150241.jpg

Before Elmo took over Twitter things were very different. In a situation like this one MSM - CNN, NBC, CBS, MSNBC would've been the ones we saw tweeting updates and not some rando right wingers. It seemed to me that tweets by MSM and real reporters were being suppressed and I spent more time on Mastodon or on the actual webpages of the Washington Post and NY Times which are notoriously slow because they have to make sure everything they print is verified.

Today I'm noticing more presence on Mastodon from MSM types.

Yesterday was the first day I really felt that Twitter is gone.

Post by Fastbackss »

Guess that's a topic for another day - is Mastodon worth "migrating" to.
There was another app I read about that had promise but because I am old I forgot what it was and where I saw it lol

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This guy. TL;dr if it doesn't affect me why should I care?

Post by Fastbackss »

Surprised he didn't say she was in a charter school, since those are always being pushed...

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:05 pm This guy. TL;dr if it doesn't affect me why should I care?

Fred Guttenberg @fred_guttenberg

@timburchett
, my daughter Jaime would disagree with you. If you think you can't fix the gun violence problem, just resign. Be useless elsewhere. Jaime is forever 14, she was murdered in the Parkland shooting. You, & people like you, are the problem.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Bloomberg News Bot
@bloombergnews@mstdnnewsbots.org
A train hauling ethanol and corn syrup derailed and caught fire in Minnesota and hundreds of nearby residents were ordered to evacuate their homes, authorities said https://t.co/m5bLLgfCwl https://t.co/lXqwgdSygK

https://mstdnnewsbots.org/@bloombergnew ... 6467225806

Paywall