National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by dryrunguy »

dryrunguy wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:57 pm So, the worst of what's left of Ida, which is a lot, is just about behind those of us here in south central Pennsylvania. It's still raining pretty heavy here, but it should finish around 8 p.m., EST.

I've heard at least two large trees fall in the woods behind my house. That's not because of wind--there isn't much. It's because of the soft ground and the fact that mountains are inherently NOT level. I have one small leak in my roof--not a big deal yet. I keep checking my basement. I haven't forgotten what the leftovers of Katrina did to my basement 16 years ago. My pond can take about 1 more foot of water before it will start to overflow at the south end. That happened once before and flooded by neighbors' barn (which is downhill from the south end of the pond). The two drains can't keep up with the combination of rain and water coming down from the mountain. Either that or one or both of the drains are clogged with debris.

But if this is as bad as this storm gets, I'll take it. Fingers crossed.
We did get some water in the basement. Not a lot. But enough to inconvenience me for a few hours at the end of a work day. The wet-vac was able to get most of it. Now the dehumidifier (2 feet above the floor) is trying to get the rest before mold sets in.

The bad news is, given all the rain we got over the past 24 hours, but mostly about 6-8 hours ago, it'll be a few days before we know if we're in the clear from all the underground water.

I wish we could share some of this rain with the regions that actually need it. We don't.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

dryrunguy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:40 am ...

I wish we could share some of this rain with the regions that actually need it. We don't.
What California, Oregon or Cape Hope would not give for this torrential downpours.
Straight out of the CC forecast of 20 years ago. Everything would be more intense. If a drought, longer, if a hurricane, stronger, if raining, harder.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

NYS officials held a presser in the NYC borough of Queens where 8 of the 9 dead were from. They emphasized that going forward everything was going to be more intense just as ponchi phrased it. That borough has never had a good drainage/sewer system and has tons of many times illegal basement apartments in single family homes.

We are still under a flood watch and all non essential travel is being discouraged. What an amazing night.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:56 pm NYS officials held a presser in the NYC borough of Queens where 8 of the 9 dead were from. They emphasized that going forward everything was going to be more intense just as ponchi phrased it. That borough has never had a good drainage/sewer system and has tons of many times illegal basement apartments in single family homes.

We are still under a flood watch and all non essential travel is being discouraged. What an amazing night.
It was definitely the worst since Sandy yesterday. I think where I was Flushing/College Point in Queens had the worst flooding - water was waist deep. When I got to Manhattan, it was just like a normal rainstorm had passed. I know subway stations got flooded and some of the roadways, etc. But I haven't seen anything about any residential street issues in Manhattan (or the Bronx, to be fair).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:48 pm
ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:56 pm NYS officials held a presser in the NYC borough of Queens where 8 of the 9 dead were from. They emphasized that going forward everything was going to be more intense just as ponchi phrased it. That borough has never had a good drainage/sewer system and has tons of many times illegal basement apartments in single family homes.

It was definitely the worst since Sandy yesterday. I think where I was Flushing/College Point in Queens had the worst flooding - water was waist deep. When I got to Manhattan, it was just like a normal rainstorm had passed. I know subway stations got flooded and some of the roadways, etc. But I haven't seen anything about any residential street issues in Manhattan (or the Bronx, to be fair).
In my neck of the woods the Major Deegan River has reappeared. It's usually an expressway. The still picture shown by the NYTimes is the flooded Deegan Expressway

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/02/nyre ... flood.html

Reports are Crotona Park in the East Bronx was a lake.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

So, I fared well in the storm. If you watch any of the news and see the EF2 that hit in Fort Washington/Upper Dublin? It's the town next to me, an area I'm in several times a week, just a mile or two away. The original town named when they initially spotted and confirmed the tornado is literally 3 blocks away. So, I got lucky in that I only have some flooding in the basement. Typically I'd be annoyed, but I'm feeling mighty lucky and grateful. Exhausted from trying to get all the water out and stressed and weary from the last 36 hours, but otherwise fine and whatever the end result, the house is intact, it has its roof and siding, the huge trees are still standing, and the car is still out front, so even if I end up having to get some new carpet or furniture in the basement, it's comparatively great for this area. So can't complain (but can hate this bitch Ida with a vengeance).

@dry, really great to hear you're okay and the damage to your property appears minimal. Hope everyone else is doing okay as well.

I'll be back around in a couple of days.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

George Carlin rant re pro lifers from 1996.

It's George Carlin so expect profanity.

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1 ... 27521?s=20
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Carlin stopped being a comedian so early in his career. Yes, he was funny, but almost everything he ever said was true.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Florida man wearing body armor fatally shoots four people, including an infant in mother's arms, sheriff says
By Gregory Lemos and Eric Levenson, CNN

Updated 2:51 PM ET, Sun September 5, 2021

(CNN)A man outfitted in body armor who described himself as a "survivalist" fatally shot four people, including an infant in their mother's arms, outside Lakeland, Florida, early Sunday morning in what the local sheriff called an "active shooter rampage."

The man then engaged in a firefight with law enforcement officers before he was taken into custody, and he later attempted to take a gun from an officer at a hospital, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said.

Afterward, deputies found four people dead: a man, a woman and the infant inside the home, and another woman inside a second house on the property, Judd said. An 11-year-old girl had also been shot multiple times and was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital for surgery. Another child, originally reported as missing, was located alive and well, he said.

"This man killed four people this morning, tried to kill our deputies and then gave up," Judd said. The suspect described himself as "a survivalist" and confessed to being on meth, he said.

"He came here for a gun battle," Judd said. "We don't know why."

The quintuple shooting began Saturday evening when a woman called authorities about a suspicious vehicle and said that a man who was parked outside her house told her, "God sent me here to speak with one of your daughters," Judd told reporters on Sunday.

A deputy responded within six minutes and did not find the suspect or the car at the residence, he said.

About nine hours later, at about 4:30 a.m., a deputy two miles away heard two volleys of automatic gunfire. Deputies responded and calls reporting an active shooting began coming in as well, the sheriff said.

On arrival, deputies discovered a truck on fire and heard popping noises in the front yard.

"We saw an individual totally outfitted in body armor and looked as if he was ready to engage us all in an active shooter situation," Judd said. The suspect immediately ran back into the house, he said.

"At that moment in time, we heard another volley and a woman scream and a baby whimper," Judd said.

A lieutenant tried to make entry into the front of the house, but it was barricaded. The lieutenant then went to the back of the house and entered, and the suspect shot at the lieutenant, who returned fire and backed out of the house, Judd said.

At that point, things went silent and the suspect came out with his hands up, Judd said. The suspect, who had been shot once, was taken into custody.
While in custody, he told deputies that he was a "survivalist." The term generally refers to a person who proactively prepares for a post-apocalyptic world.

The suspect was taken to Lakeland Regional Hospital where, at one point, he jumped up and tried to grab an officer's gun, Judd said. He was eventually subdued and is being treated. Judd said the suspect will be booked upon release.

Judd said there were "at least dozens if not hundreds" of rounds fired between the suspect and deputies.

"It was a tough situation and it entailed at least two shootouts in close quarter with the suspect," he said.

Photos posted by the Polk County Sheriff showed the extent of the damage to the home on Sunday morning. A glass door appears completely shattered, two windows and a wall are riddled with bullet holes and a burnt truck sits outside the home.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/05/us/flori ... %3A05%3A25

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:05 pm The man then engaged in a firefight with law enforcement officers before he was taken into custody
Code for WHITE MALE.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »