National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by JazzNU »

All kinds of blocks up today, for sure Robinhood and TD Ameritrade put up restrictions. Guessing all the Robinhood type companies will be under heavy pressure to follow suit, though this is quite the opportunity for new business if they resist. Since you do need a company to trade with, not sure if this will work or what, but it's definitely interesting to watch it unfold.

Post by JazzNU »

One of the main Wall Street Bets people that is directing people on Twitter is from Colombia...
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:21 pm One of the main Wall Street Bets people that is directing people on Twitter is from Colombia...
Ponchi? :)
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:14 pm All kinds of blocks up today, for sure Robinhood and TD Ameritrade put up restrictions. Guessing all the Robinhood type companies will be under heavy pressure to follow suit, though this is quite the opportunity for new business if they resist. Since you do need a company to trade with, not sure if this will work or what, but it's definitely interesting to watch it unfold.
We (my S.O. is doing the trading but it's a joint account) use Schwab and while they didn't restrict, the system slowed down A LOT yesterday and today. This is really screwing with a lot of stuff not just the Gamestop situation and the platforms that restricted trading. We're down quite a bit today when we should be up based on our portfolio....

Someone filed a class action suit against Robinhood with the Southern District of NY. They're going to lose a lot of business simply because of the irony of their company name in this situation.

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:31 pm
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:21 pm One of the main Wall Street Bets people that is directing people on Twitter is from Colombia...
Ponchi? :)

I mean, seems possible... he was just talking about the scam that Visa is, doesn't feel like a stretch that he'd be helping to lead the charge to take down some hedge funds.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is not me. If it were me, and I had this sort of knowhow, water dropping airplanes would be flying over Wall Street. The place would be on fire. ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:37 pm It is not me. If it were me, and I had this sort of knowhow, water dropping airplanes would be flying over Wall Street. The place would be on fire. ;)
Well if nothing else, you've confirmed that the idea that it was you wasn't that outlandish :lol:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Elizabeth Warren making mincemeat of some hapless newsperson. I love it.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:35 am Elizabeth Warren making mincemeat of some hapless newsperson. I love it.

Love Kamala. She will be a great vice president and will be a great president.
But Elizabeth Warren is the best politician at not suffering fools. And she is the smartest person in politics in the USA. No contest.

Post by JazzNU »

Disagree. I love Elizabeth, but really think that's overstating things, it is most definitely a contest, one I'm not sure she wins. I'd agree she's the best politician at not suffering fools on financial matters of all kinds.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I have no idea who's the smartest politician in US, but would just like to remind that the smartest is not necessarily the one who talks the most. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:44 am Disagree. I love Elizabeth, but really think that's overstating things, it is most definitely a contest, one I'm not sure she wins. I'd agree she's the best politician at not suffering fools on financial matters of all kinds.
Bypassing the joke that the bar is low, who would you consider to be "smart" politicians?
By this I mean people that are intelligent in an overall way, not that play politics in a smart fashion. For example: we can say anything we want about Mitch McConnell, and he is truly a man with a very personal trait of "evil", but it would be foolish to say he is not smart "politically": he usually gets what he wants, keeps being re-elected despite a career of almost no achievements for his constituency, and maneuvers the cesspool he inhabits with great dexterity.
Hilary is another super smart person. Bill, on the other hand, is a smart politician. AOC is a smart person, but not a smart politician, and to me seems unable to gauge pros and cons properly. Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz are verifiable idiots that navigate politics well.
Who are the smart politicians in the USA? The people that bring new, interesting ideas to solve problems? Because to me that is one of the issues in US politics. The GOP's sole solution to everything is: "Give a tax cut to the rich". And I really do not know what ideas the DEMS bring to the table, other than generic calls for a more equal society.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I don't think the United States has ever had a smarter politician (both in terms of genuine smarts and playing the political game) than Barack Obama.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I will grant you is a very smart person. I believe he is too decent to be a superbly smart politician. I will grade him as plain smart.
He misplayed Merrick Garland's nomination, he misplayed the Syrian chemical bombing attacks, he misplayed the election of 2016 (not informing the American public of the interference the intelligence community knew was going on).
He has too much hope in people.
And he has not one ounce of ruthlessness in him. Good as a person, it puts him at a disadvantage against the likes of McConnell.