World News Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
MJ2004

Re: World News Random, Random

Post by MJ2004 »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:34 pm Watches? Are you referring to the two Patek Phillippe's I read that he owns? It's not real if the NYT hasn't written a style piece implying he's some kind of elitist like they just did to President Biden for wearing a Rolex that runs about $7k.
Hmpf. I posted and it disappeared. Trying again.

Putin is in another league. A few years ago one of his PPs was on sale for a cool $1mil.

$7k is nothing in the world of watches.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Let's remember that Rafa goes on court with $800K on his right wrist. That is the price of his Richard Mille.
Hublot has one watch that is worth $1MM. The casing is made of diamonds (no, not COVERED in diamonds, it is made of diamonds, of basically industrial quality but diamonds still).
Nobody really knows how much Putin is worth. But he is certainly the richest man on earth.
Will love to hear from M8.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:55 pm Yes, it was clear that when Nalvany decided to return, he was willing to be a martyr for the cause.

I have a question for, maybe mmmm8 or someone else with advanced knowledge of Russia. I'm confused about the palace and the uproar surrounding it. Was it believed by most Russians before now that Putin was living a modest life? I recall coverage many years ago highlighting his lavish lifestyle. Is this seen as new information? If not, why is highlighting it making such a difference now?
There is no surprise or uproar, but having visual proof I think moved some people to action that before were more apathetic. More people being moved to action led to additional people being moved to action, so the release of the video timed with his arrest was just a good catalyst. There are now memes and even songs making fun of it so the conversation is catching some people that may like to call themselves "apolitical." They may have watched the video or read about it just for entertainment/amusement, but now they are talking about rather just ignoring any news around politics.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:37 pm
MJ2004 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:13 pm I remember reading about his crazy watch collection a few years back. Of course, Russian news portrays a very different story. Don't know how (much) western media is censored.
Exactly. I've read of lavish residences, cars, and yachts. There was a lot. Not remotely living the life of a commoner. So, is that what has happened over the years? That's it's like China where they censor out this information in internet searches to carefully craft the image they want for Putin? I feel like previous information has mostly come from opposition leaders in the past, similar to this. I'm just wondering what has changed. For instance, was there an account before of this going on, but not photos or videos to share with the Russian public like is happening now? Because I can see that making a big difference.
It's not censored like China in Russia, information is open on the internet and there are still independent TV channels and you can get CNN, etc on cable. But all the builders, service people, guests, etc. essentially have what probably is iron-clad NDAs with an added threat of persecution, and the primary media that does good investigative journalism of stuff like this are local media that often get stifled by local governments.

So the only photos of it publicly available before, as I understand, were some selfies builders took and put on social media in 2011/2 when it was under construction. You essentially had to look for this information to find it. Not many cared to look.

You have to also remember, Putin's very good at this clandestine stuff. For about 15+ years of his presidency people literally didn't know who his two daughters were, down to whether they even lived in Russia.

Navalny's organization has done dozens of this type of investigations on other officials and oligarchs tied to the regime but this is the first one that's garnered lots of national attention, not surprisingly.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Anyway, to the larger issue, it's nice to see some social organizing, but I'll believe it's a movement when I see it. The tide was much greater in 2012 and it led to nothing.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Thanks so much for the insight @mmmm8. Really appreciate it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

What Jazz said. Thanks mmmm8
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

China sharpens language, warns Taiwan that independence 'means war'

By Tony Munroe, Yew Lun Tian

BEIJING (Reuters) - China toughened its language towards Taiwan on Thursday, warning after recent stepped up military activities near the island that “independence means war” and that its armed forces were acting in response to provocation and foreign interference.

Taiwan, claimed by China as its own territory, reported multiple Chinese fighter jets and bombers entering its southwestern air defence identification zone last weekend, prompting Washington to urge Beijing to stop pressuring Taiwan.

China believes that Taiwan’s democratically-elected government is moving the island towards a declaration of formal independence, though Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen has repeatedly said it is already an independent country called the Republic of China, its formal name.

Asked at a monthly news briefing about the air force’s recent activities, Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman Wu Qian said Taiwan is an inseparable part of China.

“The military activities carried out by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army in the Taiwan Strait are necessary actions to address the current security situation in the Taiwan Strait and to safeguard national sovereignty and security,” he said.

“They are a solemn response to external interference and provocations by ‘Taiwan independence’ forces,” he added.

Wu said a “handful” of people in Taiwan were seeking the island’s independence.

“We warn those ‘Taiwan independence’ elements: those who play with fire will burn themselves, and ‘Taiwan independence’ means war,” he added.

While China has never renounced the use of force to bring Taiwan under its control, it is unusual for Beijing to make such overt, verbal threats of conflict.

Asked about the remarks, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said there was no reason that tensions between China and Taiwan “need to lead to anything like confrontation.” He also reaffirmed longstanding U.S. military support to Taiwan’s self-defense.

“We have obligations to assist Taiwan with their self-defense and I think you’re going to see that continue,” said Kirby, a retired admiral, in the first Pentagon briefing of the Biden administration.

Taiwan’s Mainland Affairs Council said China should think carefully and not underestimate the island’s determination to defend its sovereignty and uphold freedom and democracy.

Taiwan’s Defence Ministry reported six Chinese air force aircraft, including four J-10 fighter jets, flew into its air defence zone on Thursday, close to the Taiwan-controlled Pratas Islands at the top end of the South China Sea.

The weekend Chinese incursions coincided with a U.S. carrier battle group entering the disputed South China Sea to promote “freedom of the seas”.

China routinely describes Taiwan as its most important and sensitive issue in relations with the United States, which under the former Trump administration ramped up support for the island in terms of arms sales and senior officials visiting Taipei.

President Joe Biden’s government, in office for a week, has reaffirmed its commitment to Taiwan as being “rock solid.”

Taiwan has denounced China’s threats and efforts at intimidation, and Tsai has vowed to defend the island’s freedom and not be coerced.

Reporting by Tony Munroe and Yew Lun Tian, writing and additional reporting by Ben Blanchard in Taipei; additional reporting by Phil Stewart and Idrees Ali in Washington, Editing by Himani Sarkar, William Maclean and Richard Pullin

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKBN29X0V3
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Better the USA send an carrier group there. Maybe even two.
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

As nothing more than a counter to America's waning 'super power' status, I welcome China's rise. But their aggressive posturing will only grow more obnoxious and dangerous if left unchecked. They need to be brought down a notch or two. I'll leave 'the how' to diplomats or the military-industrial complex. And if China is keen to engage effectively in the international community then a modicum of compromise needs to be applied to their rigid doctrine. Tall ask I know, but stranger things have happened.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I find their rise terribly worrisome. I get to work with Chinese crews with certain frequency and they view the world as their enemy. They do not forge diplomatic ties based on mutual common moral ground or economic relations that are equal vis-a-vis, but rather on possible exploitation tactics.
Their internal behavior towards their population tells you how they see a model of functioning government. Their record of human rights is, of course, appalling, and they see no issues with other countries following that model.
One issue that I truly dislike of the Chinese (the people) is the way they treat each other. I have seen supervisors completely demean and degrade a subordinate, to the point that I had to intervene (I asked him to talk to me in the same fashion; he dropped his gaze, as in theory I was his "superior"). I, together with a colleague, once had to pull a Chinese supervisor and explain to him that if he were to talk to another Kurd in that fashion, not only would we request his departure, it was not smart, as there were 400 Kurds in that group, 30 Chinese and 6 "Westerners" (Kurds would have no issues killing us, and I do mean that).
China does not see diplomacy as a way of conflict resolution; they see it as weakness. Their constant claims to several surrounding people (let's not forget Tibet/Nepal, which are simply successful occupations of foreign people) are an example.
Add to that their view of women ("having a baby girl is like watering your neighbor's garden" is one of their sayings) and, well, let me keep the USA as a superpower a bit longer.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Wow. A relevant diplomatic response in real time. It's been about 4 years...

Post by JazzNU »

Myanmar military says it is taking control of the country

NAYPYITAW, Myanmar (AP) — Myanmar military television said Monday that the military was taking control of the country for one year, while reports said many of the country’s senior politicians including Aung San Suu Kyi had been detained.

An presenter on military-owned Myawaddy TV made the announcement and cited a section of the military-drafted constitution that allows the military to take control in times of national emergency. He said the reason for takeover was in part due to the government’s failure to act on the military’s claims of voter fraud in last November’s election and its failure to postpone the election because of the coronavirus crisis.

The announcement follows days of concern about the threat of a military coup — and military denials — and came on the morning the country’s new Parliament session was to begin.

The detention of the politicians and cuts in communication services on Monday were the first signals that plans to seize power were in motion. Phone and internet access to Naypyitaw was lost and Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party could not be reached.

The Irrawaddy, an established online news service, reported that Suu Kyi, who as state counsellor is the nation’s top leader, and the country’s president, Win Myint, were both detained in the pre-dawn hours. The news service cited Myo Nyunt, a spokesman for the NLD.

Its report said that the party’s Central Executive Committee members, lawmakers and regional Cabinet members had also been taken into custody.

The U.S., Australia and others issued statements expressing concern reports and urging Myanmar’s military to respect the rule of law.

“The United States is alarmed by reports that the Burmese military has taken steps to undermine the country’s democratic transition, including the arrest of State Counselor Aung San Suu Kyi and other civilian officials in Burma,” White House spokesperson Jen Psaki said in a statement from Washington. She said President Joe Biden had been briefed on the reported developments.

“The United States opposes any attempt to alter the outcome of recent elections or impede Myanmar’s democratic transition, and will take action against those responsible if these steps are not reversed,” the statement said. Burma is the former name of Myanmar.

Australian Foreign Minister Marise Payne called for the release of Suu Kyi and others reported to be detained. “We strongly support the peaceful reconvening of the National Assembly, consistent with the results of the November 2020 general election,” she said.

Myanmar lawmakers were to gather Monday in the capital Naypyitaw for the first session of Parliament since last year’s election.

The 75-year-old Suu Kyi is by far the country’s most dominant politician, and became the country’s leader after leading a decades-long nonviolent struggle against military rule.

Suu Kyi’s party captured 396 out of 476 seats in the combined lower and upper houses of Parliament in the November polls, but the military holds 25% of the total seats under the 2008 military-drafted constitution and several key ministerial positions are also reserved for military appointees.

The military, known as the Tatmadaw, charged that there was massive voting fraud in the election, though it has failed to provide proof. The state Union Election Commission last week rejected its allegations.

Amid the bickering over the allegations, the military last Tuesday ramped up political tension when a spokesman at its weekly news conference, responding to a reporter’s question, declined to rule out the possibility of a coup. Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun elaborated by saying the military would “follow the laws in accordance with the constitution.”

Using similar language, Commander-in-Chief Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing told senior officers in a speech Wednesday that the constitution could be revoked if the laws were not being properly enforced. Adding to the concern was the unusual deployment of armored vehicles in the streets of several large cities.

On Saturday, however, the military denied it had threatened a coup, accusing unnamed organizations and media of misrepresenting its position and taking the general’s words out of context.

On Sunday, it reiterated its denial, this time blaming unspecified foreign embassies of misinterpreting the military’s position and calling on them “not to make unwarranted assumptions about the situation.”

https://apnews.com/article/aung-san-suu ... ce=Twitter

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Britain was the colonial power in Myanmar/Burma. Boris say anything yet?