Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

Today is International Labor/Workers' day in most of the world (the USA is one exception). I read this one.
"Happy Workers' Day! That is, until AI takes over..."

(I have my fixations too. Sorry).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Related to this.
Happy workers' day, whole world. With demonstrations in:
Colombia, France, Lebanon, Tunisia, South Korea, Brazil, Argentina and I don't know how many other countries. Everybody protesting for "fairness".
(It varies from country to country).
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:07 pm Today is International Labor/Workers' day in most of the world (the USA is one exception). I read this one.

Will there be a Happy AI day? Forgot Ai can't be happy or sad!
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:10 am
ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:07 pm Today is International Labor/Workers' day in most of the world (the USA is one exception). I read this one.

Yet :lol:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:10 am ...

Sorry Ashkor, I'm afraid I can't do that...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

well, Ai has its limitations. Saw a great interview with Chomsky where he pointed out that ChatGPT is just sophisticated plagiarirm, cannot tell us anything about the human mind or language...
I am reminded of the incident in Hitchkikers Guide to the Galaxy where the computer spits out 'the answer is 42..' but cannot say what the question is! It is the ability to ask the right question that matters, anyone can give the answer.. even chatGPT..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

AI is not being designed to tell us anything about the human mind or language. Mostly because not even the human mind can tell us anything about the human mind. It is still a largely unexplored area, in the sense that few inroads have been made.
And if AI has limitations, so do we.
AI is getting good enough at writing, both languages (including software programming) and in other human endeavors such as the arts and music. The recent award of a photography prize to an AI generated photo shows that this is moving at great speeds. Which is what is troublesome.
My issue with AI is the prospect of work automation to the point in which millions, if not hundred of millions of people, will be left unemployed. In my area, the sub-sector of surveying has been replaced by better and better GPS systems. I can very well see how my sector could be, at the very least, greatly reduced by an array of drones and robots, which with an AI controller could replace a lot of what we do and therefore a lot of us.
Think about the push to implement Full Self Driving cars/vehicles. The real goal is NOT to create great comfort for people when they drive their Tesla to work. The real issue is replacing millions of truck drivers, cutting down on the overhead. A FSD truck could go from one place to another, and service stations can be automated to refuel such trucks. Even worse, with such a truck all the weight destined for the driver's cabin could be replaced by fuel, making it possible for the trucks to cover extremely long ranges.
You and I live on countries with exploding populations. Young people need to find proper work in order for a society to be functional. And if Chomsky thinks AI is not important because it cannot write the next WAR AND PEACE, he is (as he very frequently does) just being unable to leave his Cathedratic Ivory Tower and realize that the vast majority of people live their day to day doing tasks that AI could easily replace.
And it will be a cold day in hell on the day that major organizations will say NO to laying off 60% of their workforce if it can be replaced by a little widget or APP. The prospects for a massive societal upheaval are not trivial.

And.
Thanks for your human appraisal that anybody can give the answer to any properly given question. Very optimistic from your side. We are still asking ourselves how to handle Nuclear Fussion, and although the question is very well formalized, we are still going forward al glacial speed.
And as brilliant as THGTTG was, invoking it as an indicator is... well, it is a funny book.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Chomsky is wrong about so many things that it's not even funny anymore. As for AI it's probably inevitable. Interesting that anything involving physical motion is harder. Self driving cars very difficult, writing a bla bla essay for you not that hard. For now anyway.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:37 pm Chomsky is wrong about so many things that it's not even funny anymore. As for AI it's probably inevitable. Interesting that anything involving physical motion is harder. Self driving cars very difficult, writing a bla bla essay for you not that hard. For now anyway.
I would agree. Then, the issue will be what will so many people do.
A few years ago, in your country of residence, we had that "March of the Robots" (if you remember). People marching because they were voicing their opposition to severe automation. So, if AI indeed arrives soon, we may have to think about that idea. Better do it now than wait for AI to replace many. Or, will we let AI solve the problem of AI? Has anybody asked an AI: "What problems will AI bring forth to HUMAN society? In how many ways can YOU replace US?".
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think we'll wait till there are severe employment issues in the rich countries. There aren't right now.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. I can see that.
Therefore, it will have to be us 3rd world countries that ask the question. Because our employment issues are here, right now.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:59 pm Ok. I can see that.
Therefore, it will have to be us 3rd world countries that ask the question. Because our employment issues are here, right now.
Would your employement issues be significantly better at say 2010 automation level?

Outsourcing of manufacturing to Mexico is huge. Countries further South seem not to benefit from it significantly...

In Latvia, in between Colombia and Switzerland wealth wise, there is a great lack of qualified employees and salaries not high enough at the same time.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Mexico is benefitted a lot because it is a member of NAFTA. They get a lot of tariff breaks when exporting to the USA, so many USA companies have set shop in Northern Mexico because they can pay lower wages across the border and get the same product.

What level of automation would be best for us? Hard to say indeed, but here in Colombia, the service sector is very large. So any technological improvement that can replace service personnel can affect us badly. My point about AI and automation is simple: automation that replaces people without creating other jobs somewhere is what scares me.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

What are the main exports of Colombia?