With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:49 am I am so supremely uninterested in over a foot of snow right now.
Last I checked, it should end here around 9 a.m. Tuesday morning. But looking at The Weather Channel, I'm not sure I buy that. The storm is just sitting over us--kind of like those alien ships in Independence Day.

We have about 10-12 inches of snow here so far. The last time I went out to shovel the steps, it was coming down much lighter than earlier today.

Polly (the dog) is the only one here who likes it.

::

In other news, I got a set of twin lambs at about 2 a.m. Sunday morning. Getting them going kept me up until about 5:30 a.m.--thanks to the stupid twit who is still pregnant but thought they were hers and was constantly in my way because she wanted them to nurse. But all is well.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Sweet Polly! I'm so glad she's enjoying the snow cause I sure as heck am over it.

Yeah, I have a hard time believing the predicted amounts as well. It was *only* going to be an extra 6 inches earlier, looks way more like at least 8 inches out there since the last time I went out. Heading out now to tackle it. Think we're at around 15 inches total. And the snow is staying here throughout the day tomorrow, when it was supposed to be done early morning. This nonsense is just sitting here chilling. Are we honestly not getting much more than what is there now when it is staying around for another 24 hours? They switched the graphic of "Snow Thru Tuesday" to Snow Thru Wednesday". FML
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

They definitely underestimated this one.They'd predicted between 8-12 inches, but we've had more like 18 inches so far.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Our official was 16.5" in Central Park.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

It has continued to snow here off and on all day. We have at least 18 inches so far. Now I'm hearing something about another storm hitting around Thursday or Friday.

Meanwhile, I'm out of potatoes, and all I can think about during a snow storm is a rich stew full of veggies.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I went to work today and it was rainy and unseasonably warm (ca 10-12 C). I totally don't miss the snow except in the mountains.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I was just wondering - do any of our US/Canadian members live in the mountains or very close (1-2 h drive max)? It just struck to me that I don't remember anyone on TAT1.0 talking about it, it's either one coast or the other or Texas.
Last edited by Suliso on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I live part time in Colorado. 1/2 hour from the mountain :)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

I don't think my mountains really counts as a mountain. Or maybe it does. My car has an external temperature gauge (most cars do these days). The last time I drove over the mountain behind my house, it indicated a 10 degree drop in temperature by the time I got to the top of the mountain. And then the temperature went back up as I was driving down the other side of the mountain.

But the Swiss Alps we are not. :)
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Suliso wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 pm I was just wondering - do any of our US/Canadian members live in the mountains or very close (1-2 h drive max)? It just struck to me that I don't remember anyone on TAT1.0 talking about it, it's either one coast or the other or Texas.
Isn't Woody from Calgary, or was in Calgary?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 pm I was just wondering - do any of our US/Canadian members live in the mountains or very close (1-2 h drive max)? It just struck to me that I don't remember anyone on TAT1.0 talking about it, it's either one coast or the other or Texas.

Pretty sure this isn't what you meant since I live very close to the city. But can I get to a mountain to go skiing and is the trip under 2 hours? Yes, no problem. I can actually go to a place that is under an hour away if I wanted, it's at the extreme other end of my arguably too large county. But there are more places to ski about 90 minutes from me. Actually, one of the main roads in that ski area is the main road where I live that takes me 5 minutes to get to, and I can indeed take it all the way up there if I wanted (there faster ways to get there). So, though it's truly a different area than where I live, it is really isn't far. It's one of the appeals of living here, 90 minutes from the beach and the mountains.

Most of my TAT friends in NYC can meet me there, traffic depending of course, but they'd get there in 90 minutes to 2 hours. I've actually done that drive, it took just over 90 minutes when I did it with my cousin many moons ago. This is something Boston, Philly, and New York City have in common among other things, all 3 are relatively close to both the mountains and the beach.

I haven't been up to the mountains in ages. I used to go fairly regularly when I was younger, every few months or so. But that was when my aunt and uncle had a house up there. They've since sold it.

And I will echo what @dry said. I've been to the Austrian Alps. And what I'm talking about is most certainly not on the same level.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Indeed, I kind of knew that many places on the East Coast are within driving distance of Appalachian mountains and from LA it would be close to Sierra Nevada. But sure I meant more someone in Utah or Colorado or nearby where the truly high American mountains are. :)

Myself I live about 30 min from Appalachian like Jura mountains and about 1.5 h from the Alps. That's about as far as one could be from Alps in Switzerland. I used to go regularly in winter to ski, but it's been some time and these days I use them mostly for hiking.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

Technically, the mountains around Philly/NY are not Appalachians. The larger mountain ranges are Poconos, Catskills, Adirondacks and Berkshires. They kind of extend from Appalachia but have a separate formation history.

As Jazz points out, I've gone skiing about 1.5 hours from NY (once only, because I'm awful at it). And for hiking, there are decent size mountains (like Bear Mountain in the Hudson Highlands range) less than an hour away.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If we are counting the Appalachians and the Catskills as mountains, then technically I live in a mountain. The Appalachians highest point stands at 2.037 Mtrs/OSL. The Catskills stand at 1.027 Mtrs/OSL. My house stands at 2,600 Mtrs/OSL (8,500 ft), and the highest mountain in Bogota stands at almost 2,900.
Caracas stands at 1,000 Mtrs. Our highest mountain, which faces the city, stands at 2,700 Mts (Pico Naiguata). The emblematic mountain that stands right in front of the city, and which basically defines it, is El Avila, which stands at 2,065 Mtrs. We call it CERRO AVILA, or THE AVILA HILL. We don't even call it a mountain.
The first time I went to Colorado my friend stopped us and told us "Remember, you are at altitude here. If you feel a little faint or short of breath, stop, and we will rest". I had to explain that we had come DOWN from where we live :)
One issue about playing in Bogota. 10 years later and I still at times find myself short of breath. Sure, partially growing old, but also the height. I will never completely adapt to it. It is a city for flat strokes and pressure-less balls: regulars will bounce crazy high.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem