Random, Random 2.0

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

MJ2004 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:20 am Piet Mondrian artwork displayed upside down for 75 years https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63423811

Proving the point I always make about contemporary art. If I can copy it, or if a 4 year can make it (unless that 4 year old is Picasso), it ain’t art.
:notworthy:
I was in the Oslo museum of modern art. I was "exposed" to a Cindy Sherman expo and a Damien Hirst expo. Pretty close to the most wasted hours I have spent at an art museum ever.
When I was walking out of these farces, I went to the gift shop. I saw one book, an apology for modern art: "Why your 5 year old can't do that". The point the author missed was simple: I saw NO books defending the renaissance, the baroque, the cubists or any other established movement. If you have to defend and explain art, it just isn't.
I mean, it was a bloody can of Campbell's soup. It was not art.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Sadly, the definition of what is 'art' is mostly dependent upon A) marketing, B) 'social status' and C) the 'artist's reputation, which itself is largely a mere product of the aforementioned marketing.
This is all commonly known as phoney B.S.

It's a tragedy that so many people believe whatever they're told, without actually enacting any thought process.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Is there some kind of benefit to "signing in with your google account" when I'm looking at a website?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Google will be able to track your browsing history better. They will be able to look at what you click and determine your purchase patterns and interests better; this information will be cleanly tabulated and sold to retailers, who will send you millions of spam mails and ads.
Seriously: the sole possible advantage will be that you will not use a password other than Google's.

Personally, I am navigating more and more in private window mode. But remember, I am paranoid to the max.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Please don't do drugs, people.
These days, more than ever before, it's playing Russian Roulette...

(Watch the video)
She Took One Pill, and it Killed Her

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

We have an autumn fair these last two weeks in Basel with street food, carnival rides etc. This festival has been held since 1471. Only been canceled 5x including two years ago due to covid. Last year was a bit limited, but this year back in full force. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Hope you enjoy it. The kind of thing that only happens in Europe (due to the longevity, I mean).
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ok. He has behaved indeed like :poop: regarding this Twitter thing. But he is not a criminal, nor a monster.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I don't personally believe in monsters, but he definitely fits my definition of a criminal.
R.I.P. Amal...

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:34 am Ok. He has behaved indeed like :poop: regarding this Twitter thing. But he is not a criminal, nor a monster.
Might want to read up on Elon. Many disturbing things about him, personally and professionally. And that's even if he never bought Twitter.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I think a lot of us, myself included, admire technologies his leading companies have developed. Certainly not the man himself, particularly after this Twitter fiasco.

Not that you could be like Elon even if you wanted to money aside. He has a strong Asperger's syndrome. That's why he can be so workaholic and focused on one thing only.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:39 am I think a lot of us, myself included, admire technologies his leading companies have developed. Certainly not the man himself, particularly after this Twitter fiasco.

Not that you could be like Elon even if you wanted to, money aside. He has a strong Asperger's syndrome. That's why he can be so workaholic and focused on one thing only.
Probably also why he behaves like a dick sometimes. My brother has it. Most people would consider him an asshole, but he can't really help it. He also has a lot of close buddies who know what an amazing friend he is. I'm sure it has a lot to do with Elon's personality. Too bad he doesn't use his position to raise awareness and understanding (I'm assuming he doesn't - I don't pay attention to him).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My point being: we (society) have to stop this process of demonizing people so easily. It is one of the problems that we have today, and I don't mean solely in the USA.
Story.
I was in Argentina during the 2019 election. Got into a conversation between people leaning for the two main contenders (Maccri and Fernandez). Invariably, I noticed that the camps were split along lines of good and evil: THEIR choice was trying to save the country, their OPPONENT was nothing but a SOB, bent on its destruction. Argentina is nowadays as polarized, if not more, than the USA, thanks in part to what I told those people that day: they could go from "such person is nice" to "that person is a SOB" in minutes. That is not healthy.
This type of mentality is detrimental to any kind of proper political or social discourse. Sure, Elon has truly mucked up this Twitter thing. Sure, he took Tesla from the original founders. But that does not make him a criminal, and some aspects of him are worthy. For example, he is truly passionate about science, which is something that is needed.

We can't have proper civilized discourse (and I mean not US, TAT2.0, but society) if everything gets dialed up to 11. And that is what that person's tweet is. Labeling an unnamed group of people as "toxic" is completely not helpful to have proper discourse.