Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Does this make Sharpless the third person to receive TWO Nobel Prizes (Curie and Pauling)?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:29 pm Does this make Sharpless the third person to receive TWO Nobel Prizes (Curie and Pauling)?
The fifth. Besides the two you mentioned also Frederick Sanger (chemistry 1958, 1980) and John Bardeen (physics 1956, 1972).
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know why they chose today (it was neither her Bday or Dday), but today is Ada Lovelace Day.
A wonderful and also sad story about one truly great mathematician.
Ada Lovelace Day: who was the mathematician and what is she known for?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

A little reminder that SPACE cannot be conquered based on corporate rules.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

To be fair nothing was really conquered here. They guy merely funded and launched a satellite internet service. Not even a new idea, but the government would never have.

Musk is being stupid in offering his ill informed opinions on this conflict and then getting offended when he's called out for it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

As I posted something about the vandalism being attempted at art pieces, in the name of "Climate Change Awareness".
I received from a friend a small chart showing the amount of metals needed to phase out fossil fuels. I went on line to look a bit more into it, and found a few articles about this. I will link only one:
Is There Enough Metal to Replace Oil?

Now, the article starts by pulling no punches. The short answer is NO. There are not enough metals to phase out oil.
But, the few articles I read all stem from a single presentation by an Iceland professor, so the BS detection kit has to be deployed. If all articles refer to one single source, the required "multiple sources to verify" rule is not being applied.
However, the articles are not sensationalist, and the youtube talk in which this professor explains his point of view is given in a very didactic sense.
The video is long (over one hour), so it takes a little commitment.
And, of course, remember I am an O&G person, whose critical thinking may be currently affected by financial pressures.

The following is the chart sent to me:
IMG-20221025-WA0000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thank you for the above^. Everyone wants to get rid of fossil fuels but that's where the discussion should start not stop.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Not everyone. People in Russia, Nigeria, Venezuela, the Arab Peninsula and several other places, simply don't want to or CANNOT get rid of them.
The sleepy, little town of Añelo, in the Argentinean province of Neuquen, truly did not want to. A booming economy in 2019, it's now a ghost town, simply because of lack of investment in O&G. Venezuela will never recover unless oil reclaims some position.
It is a very complicated issue (and remember, I may be O&G, but CC, for me, is not even possible to challenge as an anthropic-based phenomenon).

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:36 pm Not everyone. People in Russia, Nigeria, Venezuela, the Arab Peninsula and several other places, simply don't want to or CANNOT get rid of them.
The sleepy, little town of Añelo, in the Argentinean province of Neuquen, truly did not want to. A booming economy in 2019, it's now a ghost town, simply because of lack of investment in O&G. Venezuela will never recover unless oil reclaims some position.
It is a very complicated issue (and remember, I may be O&G, but CC, for me, is not even possible to challenge as an anthropic-based phenomenon).
You're right. I started to go back and correct my post to say "almost everyone" but there's a lot of stuff going on today. I agree.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It is not a "Town Square".
It is a bully sand lot.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It was until the "influencers" in media, show biz and politics found out where everyone was hanging out.

I got into Twitter when I was seriously blogging a few years ago. It was the best way to reach Tennis Twitter.

I'm leaning towards staying but I'm also thinking about opening or re-opening another account somewhere else.
MJ2004

Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by MJ2004 »

I’m on book twitter. I refuse to use booktok, so I’ll stay on Twitter for now, at least until the authors, podcasters and bloggers I follow go elsewhere. I don’t actually post anything, I just follow others.