With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

^^ Looks like a 19 year old Comp Sci student paid $8 and followed all the rules and put up this Adam Schefter parody account to prove a point. Chaos caused. Point made.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Chaos is continuing today. I am posting most of the shenanigans in the Business thread. TL;dr the CISO, Chief compliance officer and various others have resigned. He wants engineers - all that's left - to self certify FTC compliance.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

My problem with Reddit is the same one I'm having with Mastodon. For example, when I first joined Twitter I started by following people I knew who posted about tennis. I then looked to see who they were following and it was easy from there.

Mastodon is like Reddit to me with all the silo nonsense. TBH I don't feel like working so hard to find and join a community on either site but I did set up a profile on Reddit. I'll see if I can find it again.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:20 pm My problem with Reddit is the same one I'm having with Mastodon. For example, when I first joined Twitter I started by following people I knew who posted about tennis. I then looked to see who they were following and it was easy from there.

Mastodon is like Reddit to me with all the silo nonsense. TBH I don't feel like working so hard to find and join a community on either site but I did set up a profile on Reddit. I'll see if I can find it again.
Reddit isn't hard. You can just search for a word or phrase and see what's posted about it like you can on Twitter. But you can also follow a community and check in from time to time to see what's posted in that community. You can also see what certain people are posting. And you can follow people as well, I haven't done that, but I think it's not much different than following communities in terms of how it gives you information. For me, I am a member of communities for tennis, tv, all the podcasts I listen to, and other random interests (like there's a great Trader Joe's community where people post about products they tried, what was good, what wasn't, how they used a certain product, etc.).

There's also a large knowledgebase there. Current news, old news, how to fix something, should I update to the latest software version or wait, problems I'm noticing on my cell phone, problems with my cable provider, how to get a discount on a streaming service, is anyone else having this glitch on their computer. Similar to Twitter, the answer is there, but Reddit is actually a more helpful community overall, especially because you can find more complete explanations about things.

There is no need to join any specific community on Reddit, that's up to you. It doesn't really make much of a difference if you belong to it or not, it's just the ones you join, those posts will appear on your home page feed, similar to the home page on Twitter having posts of people you follow (or that's how Twitter used to work).

*** FYI, you may be blocked from posting in certain communities depending on that communities' guidelines if you're a new user and it might require you to have a higher count of karma (their point system). I believe it's a spam prevention, but there is a group there where you can post to increase your karma quickly if that is an issue for you. Let me know if I can be of assistance if you do want to try to use Reddit more often.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

So on Reddit to be able to customize it you have to sign up for premium it seems.

I'll leave it at the basic level for now.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:23 pm So on Reddit to be able to customize it you have to sign up for premium it seems.

I'm not sure what you mean by customize. I definitely don't have Premium FWIW, never entertained the idea at all, and I'm not aware of any way in which I'm limited in using the site because of it. To my knowledge, very, very few sign up for Premium.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:10 am
ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:23 pm So on Reddit to be able to customize it you have to sign up for premium it seems.

I'm not sure what you mean by customize. I definitely don't have Premium FWIW, never entertained the idea at all, and I'm not aware of any way in which I'm limited in using the site because of it. To my knowledge, very, very few sign up for Premium.
I don't like the little thingie they use as your avatar. I tried to change it a bit and was told that what I chose was a premium look so I'm kinda stuck with this little thingie.

I am going to make a serious attempt to use it this time. I have no idea what my previous account was so I set up a new one. I'll keep posting about my adventures here.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:38 am
I don't like the little thingie they use as your avatar. I tried to change it a bit and was told that what I chose was a premium look so I'm kinda stuck with this little thingie.

I am going to make a serious attempt to use it this time. I have no idea what my previous account was so I set up a new one. I'll keep posting about my adventures here.
Ahh, I see. Yeah, the avatars are awful, but you will ignore them very soon. They don't feature prominently at all, think about one of the AITA posts, they're very small. I just picked whatever the best look was of what they showed me I could have and haven't paid attention to it since. I barely see it. If I open it to change it, it's like Ugh! because that's by far the largest it ever is, but I never do that. It's just there.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is from a Tumblr blog.

What happens when the world’s knowledge is held in a quasi-public square owned by a private company that could soon go out of business?
MIT TECHNOLOGY REVIEW

surroundedbybooks
Jesus, I hadn’t even thought of this, but of course.

daalseth
This is something that historians have been warning about for a couple of decades. How much of our history was not just on Twitter, but on MySpace, on blogs and web sites that came down after a few years, on e-mail, on texts. None of that leaves a record. Once the file is deleted, the server shut down and scrapped, the backup disks decay into being unreadable junk, that history is gone.

Does anyone remember when Obama and Clinton each held town hall campaign events on MySpace? Good luck finding anything about those now other than some news articles that say they happened. How many business zoom calls have formal meeting minutes taken? We are not saving histories. We aren’t even writing letters. I’m as guilty as anyone. My art is online and kept in the cloud. I make my Christmas Card every year, but I haven’t printed and mailed one in over a decade. It’s all sent electronically. Meaning that a generation from now no one will remember.

So the problem is bigger than Twitter. We are now a couple of decades into an age that will not leave any detailed historical record.

That is not good.

macleod
In pseudo and acadamic circles this has routinely been called the ‘digital dark age’, I even wrote on the subject a few years ago but can’t find that article right now. [There is even a Wikipedia article on the concept] (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital ... ta%20decay).

It’s thought this might just be a black spot of knowledge, there are organizations working to stop this — archival websites primarily, but these are not able to penetrate all these corporate gated gardens, where paywalls, sign up walls, and more block access to. There is an ongoing campaign by megacorps to shutdown as many archival sites as possible.

This coupled with the fallibility of hard drives, CDs (make sure to back them up! They only have a 20-30 year lifetime!), and more and there is a chance that even though there is more information than ever before, more primary and secondary sources than ever, we may become just a strange blank spot in societal and cultural history. Digital decay is a terrifying concept that we are already beginning to live through.

https://www.tumblr.com/katy-l-wood/7012 ... YF4AAAA%3D

This is a chart that is part of the discussion created by Avatar
fallentechnate

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I finally set up a tennis account on Mastodon. I did it after seeing that another Tennis Twitter denizen used a server that wasn't there when I first tried - .world

This will be an opportunity to clean up my tennis twitter account so that it's mostly tennis, cats and pretty pictures. I will follow the NY Times and WaPo there too.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Can you post something here from Mastodon? See how easily it can transfer? (Twitter did it seamlessly, as we have seen).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:54 am Can you post something here from Mastodon? See how easily it can transfer? (Twitter did it seamlessly, as we have seen).
Sherrilyn Ifill
@ifilljustice@mastodon.social

Many commentators are tweeting & tooting that we need to expand the SCOTUS. That is not the answer to everything. Unless you just want a larger Court, not bound by ethics rules, engaging in the kind of behavior described in the NYT piece. What we need are guardrails - an understanding that the Court sits w/i our democracy. Our job us to strengthen it by creating the processes that promote impartiality & insulation from lobbying, not crossing our fingers & hoping for the best.
The first one is a simple copy and paste.

https://mstdn.social/@stux/109369969599633401

This was copying the URL of a post by someone who is important I guess. This is what the link says. When I post from Twitter here it's usually done via the link.

sтυx⚡
@stux@mstdn.social
What's it with people reporting every single person they dont like.. :amaze:

Please, stop with that.

This is not #Twitter. Please use features like mute or block if you don't like people but stop reporting otherwise I'll start banning people who keep reporting for nothing :blobhammer:

I'm trying to keep things running with so many new people and it's such a waste of time to hear whatever you don't like

Otherwise go waste Elon's time, not mine

Post by JazzNU »

Elon reinstated Asshole in Chief, so I won't be surprised if Twitter gets replaced quickly unless he behaves. The entire tone of Twitter was considerably less toxic when he got banned. It was noticeable how different and I doubt many are interested in a return to that. Not sure about this Mastodon at all, but it won't be a surprise if a migration to somewhere begins sooner than Twitter's actual demise. There is no way the review process he said would happen before re-instatement actually occurred when he's down like 75% of his staff.

I could be very wrong obviously, but Mastodon feels like a placeholder to me, not the endgame. I haven't used it, but the terminology doesn't seem like it was well thought out for big time success. Feels like they've got a marketing/branding problem.

Post by JazzNU »

In terms of posts pre-populating on their own, that's something that typically needs to be written into the code I believe. So unless that happens by someone where it recognizes that is a site to do it for, then it won't. i.e., Insta, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, and Giphy were all written into the code of the forum. Tenor, which is very popular and a direct competitor to Giphy, was not and so it doesn't automatically appear just by pasting a link.