Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Science/Techno Babble Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

Maybe it should go in the Business thread? How to destroy a thriving community space in a week?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

My vote would be that it goes in the 'entertainment' section.
That's the closest thing to 'soap opera' that we have, isn't it?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Musk's expertise if any is in technology (hardware type) and he hates traditional advertising (Tesla and Spacex do none). Why the hell did he move into this field? Sounds like a total hubris to me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:33 pm Maybe it should go in the Business thread? How to destroy a thriving community space in a week?
Business topic. Go there.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:44 pm
I'll just add that the holidays are rapidly approaching. So more layoffs are almost certainly on their way. Big corporations LOVE to spread this particular form of holiday cheer.
You are so right. It's a time-honored tradition.

Post by JazzNU »

I'm not sure of others' experiences, but it feels like they've already started altering the algorithm. I thought it was my imagination at first, but I've noticed in the last week that when I search for a word or phrase, the MAGA results are fast and furious though the search term should technically be showing me both, and if the system knows me (it does), then it should show me slightly more stuff from individuals I'm more likely to engage with (click on, like, retweet) and not stuff I'm more likely to ignore or block. That's how it always used to be. Right now, it's a lot of scrolling to try to find posts from more legitimate sources.

And for non-political things, I've noticed a change in giving me a lot of blue check mark results without any consideration for time. For instance, let's say it's about the NFL. I have the basically useless Jonathan Taylor on one of my fantasy teams this year. Search for him and it will give me like every tweet from Adam Schefter about him in the last 5 days in the first 10 results. I follow Adam, so that's not the issue, but that's not how it used to be. Adam's most recent one or two tweets might be there because they were in the last few days, but the other top results would give more preference to tweets that had a lot of likes in the last say 48 hours.

Feeling like this could crumble quicker than MySpace after Murdoch bought it.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If it crumbles, what replaces it? MySpace was a distant second to FB. TW is the clear cut leader, if not sole player, in this form of SM.
I won't miss it, as I am not in any SM, but hundreds of millions interact via this platform. If it goes, who or what steps in?
A bit surprised that no other giant (Google?) has stepped in.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I have no idea what could possibly replace it, but social media of this type will not disappear. People will move somewhere however it could be more fragmented. Also it's still an unsolved question how exactly to monetize such sites and still not lose vast majority of your customers.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:44 pm If it crumbles, what replaces it? MySpace was a distant second to FB. TW is the clear cut leader, if not sole player, in this form of SM.
I won't miss it, as I am not in any SM, but hundreds of millions interact via this platform. If it goes, who or what steps in?
A bit surprised that no other giant (Google?) has stepped in.
MySpace was #1 for a time, FB overtook it, but it was definitely #1, no question about it.

Twitter is bigger in perception than actuality. Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, TikTok are all bigger platforms than Twitter is. And they all are much more profitable than Twitter. Heck Reddit is a bigger platform than Twitter (though one of the few that is less profitable).

That placement among social media platforms is why the price Musk paid for it was laughed at so much, it was a wildly overpriced bid.

What will replace Twitter that will be a Twitter-esque replica? Not sure. I would guess something new would pop up. But a combo of the other platforms in the meantime is most likely. It's worked for many people and brands that way for a long time. It's pretty common already for many brands, celebrities, and influencers to have no real Twitter presence. It's been the media companies propping up Twitter more than anyone else I think.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This is why I try to avoid that site like the plague and also try and avoid posting their videos here.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Twitter not the biggest social media site for sure, but it's the only mostly text based one. Can hardly be replaced by Tiktok...
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:21 pm

This is why I try to avoid that site like the plague and also try and avoid posting their videos here.
^ All the others are just as bad/crooked/corrupt, even those that are not owned by a communist party or by Elon Musk.

What will replace twitter?
The obvious answer is 'Truth Social', no? :D
But a little bit more seriously, what about Parler?
I know nothing about this stuff, as I don't partake - and feel absolutely no desire to - but isn't parler similar to twitter?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:33 pm Twitter not the biggest social media site for sure, but it's the only mostly text based one. Can hardly be replaced by Tiktok...
Reddit is text based. Less relevant unless it makes an epic comeback, but Tumblr is mostly as well.

But the truth is, TikTok has been invading Twitter a ton the last couple of years. There are more and more videos, especially TikTok videos that are just put on Twitter for additional engagement, they've taken a backseat in many ways even further back than where they were. Twitter has added features to be more in like with TikTok and Instagram's offerings to try to appeal more to the changing trends. Twitter is not nearly as text based as it once.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

This could be important. Particularly for heating houses in a cold climate.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2022 ... ean-energy
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If not a total game changer, it could be a very easy technology to implement in many places. Brilliant.