Laver Cup

Davis Cup, BJK Cup, ATP Cup, Olympics and Laver cup, plus maybe a few others
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Laver Cup

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:12 pm Competes with IW for title of slowest court on the planet...Nadal is clearly the leader of Team Europe...though Fed and Djoko are present ..I find that very interesting
Yeah, I don't know if it's because he's just more intense and a more natural coach, or because he's closer to the guys or because he has 22... maybe the others are lke, Why would I listen to the guy who only has 20 or 21 Slams when I could listen to the one with 22? :)

I love the bench conversations, especially player to player. Fascinating to know what resonates with them about a match.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

MJ2004 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:39 pm WTF?

Protester sets fire to his arm during Laver Cup opening session - The Guardian

The opening session of this year’s Laver Cup in London was overshadowed when a protester set fire to his arm during the match between Stefanos Tsitsipas and Diego Schwartzman.

Tsitsipas clinched the first set by a 6-2 score and during the changeover at O2, a spectator ran on to the court and set his arm on fire.

The protestor was wearing a T-shirt which read “End UK Private Jets” and was quickly dragged out of the court after water had been poured on his burning arm. After a brief delay, the match, the second of day one, was able to resume.
I mean... maybe it was a last resort? Had nothing else to set on fire? At least he used his own arm and not someone else's. This is really strange, though.

Post by meganfernandez »

The announcer called Casper Ruud the Norwegian Nail Gun. I'm all for nicknames, but they can't come from the marketing department.

Dr. Feelgood for De Minaur was a little better, after all his drop shots, but he's already Demon.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:58 pm
Yeah, this right after he beat Murray in front of a London crowd. Everyone knows World is supposed to let Federer win, anyway. :)

Post by meganfernandez »

She should be on the roster, along with other chicks.
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

In his last competitive match, Roger finds something new to do: hit a ball THROUGH the laces attaching the netcord to the post.

And they also assigned Mohammed to umpire this match.

Post by meganfernandez »

martini4me wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:25 pm In his last competitive match, Roger finds something new to do: hit a ball THROUGH the laces attaching the netcord to the post.

And they also assigned Mohammed to umpire this match.
Crazy shot. Fitting that Roger is still coming up with no-way shots until the very end. On the bench, he said, "My eyes are still good. I saw it go through." Love that Mo is in the chair. I wonder if he's Roger's favorite umpire.
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

Announcer just said that tennis might be Nadal's second-, or third-, best sport, noting he's very skilled at soccer and golf. Still, that's an absolutely preposterous statement.

Post by meganfernandez »

martini4me wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:42 pm Announcer just said that tennis might be Nadal's second-, or third-, best sport, noting he's very skilled at soccer and golf. Still, that's an absolutely preposterous statement.
Truly absurd. Which one has he spent tens of thousands of hours training? That's his best sport.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Uncle Tony did say that the reason Rafa "only" has won 22 slams is his fault. You know, he told him to play left handed when he is a natural right handed.
Guess we will never know.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

Tiafoe was called for a double hit and lost the point - it was BP for Fedal to get back on serve in the 2nd. The racket made two contacts with the ball on the same bounce. It was a half volley, and the first contact was right at the ground and then the racket continued forward and touched the ball again in the air. One motion, two touches. So that's illegal?

Berrettini, Nadal and Federer discussed it on the bench, and even they aren't clear. Berrettini seems to think it was illegal because on the first touch, the ball was traveling in one direction (into Tiafoe's court) and on the second touch, it was traveling in the opposite direction - so like a carry. Federer says if it was one swing, it was probably legal.

I think it was one swing, but very tough to call in the moment. Don't know why umpire can't review it and revise the call. Everyone in the stadium saw the video. Why not use it?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I think that's illegal. It was one motion, but the second impact was after a delay.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem