TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Suliso Latvia

Re: TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Post by Suliso »

Finances yes, but not just finances. Having a child is a huge time commitment and very few want to do it more than once or twice if at all.

South Korea and Japan will disappear in a sense as will many other countries. There won't be that many immigrants to go around and those existing will not necessarily be desirable.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Also no amount of immigration could possibly save the coming Chinese population crash.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:09 pm This TED Talk was very instructive (it is from 2010).
As you say, the decline is not noticeable yet because we have a delay. And it is not that more people are being born; fewer people are dying.
Countries like S. Korea and Japan will have to accept more immigration or disappear. But with their very unique cultures, will they be able to accept new comers?

This thread has become quite a downer. But yes, I spoke about this in the past on the forum (feel like it was TAT 1.0), it's an area I did quite a bit of research on once upon a time. Japan has been well aware of their population cratering at a certain point, and in trying to keep their homogenous society, they altered their immigration laws and allowed those of Japanese heritage living in other countries (called Nikkeijin) to come and work in Japan. But it's not been enough to reverse the population trends significantly and those that have moved there haven't integrated as neatly into Japanese society as it was thought they would initially, so it has been far from ideal. I believe daily deaths in Japan outpace births at about a 2 to 1 rate. So there's a delay, but it's shrinking and will become more apparent over time. Projections have undoubtedly changed over the years since I researched it, but they were going to have about 100 million in population by 2050, but they had over 125 million two decades ago.

Post by JazzNU »

Super adorable

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:49 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:09 pm This TED Talk was very instructive (it is from 2010).
As you say, the decline is not noticeable yet because we have a delay. And it is not that more people are being born; fewer people are dying.
Countries like S. Korea and Japan will have to accept more immigration or disappear. But with their very unique cultures, will they be able to accept new comers?

This thread has become quite a downer. But yes, I spoke about this in the past on the forum (feel like it was TAT 1.0), it's an area I did quite a bit of research on once upon a time. Japan has been well aware of their population cratering at a certain point, and in trying to keep their homogenous society, they altered their immigration laws and allowed those of Japanese heritage living in other countries (called Nikkeijin) to come and work in Japan. But it's not been enough to reverse the population trends significantly and those that have moved there haven't integrated as neatly into Japanese society as it was thought they would initially, so it has been far from ideal. I believe daily deaths in Japan outpace births at about a 2 to 1 rate. So there's a delay, but it's shrinking and will become more apparent over time. Projections have undoubtedly changed over the years since I researched it, but they were going to have about 100 million in population by 2050, but they had over 125 million two decades ago.
That's all true... From what I've gathered South Korea is a supercharged Japan. Even less children, more xenophobic and less open to immigration than their bigger neighbour. Also a very macho and toxic work culture.

On the other hand it's also in the top 10 in population density. Wildlife will have more chance with less people on that peninsula.

Post by JazzNU »

Ajla has a photoshoot coming out in Vogue Australia. She spread the photos she posted out between 3 different posts, here's the first. If you want to see the others, just click on this and you'll be able to see her page and look at the other ones.

Post by JazzNU »

^^ It's pretty remarkable how Ajla's basically used her relationships, especially with Matteo, to raise her public profile. I contend she's not getting this spread or in Break Point without it. She's far and away the lowest ranked, least accomplished player in the series. And for a spread like this, she's been around and available for a long time, never had anything like this. Don't blame her for capitalizing exactly, but she's a glaring outlier in these things.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

On the other hand. She is a very attractive girl. So, what you say, but she is Vogue material.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:07 am On the other hand. She is a very attractive girl. So, what you say, but she is Vogue material.
Agreed. She was also attractive 5 years ago when she was dating Australia's most popular tennis player too, though they were not an overtly public couple. And 3 years ago when she was single, still pretty. No Vogue spread though still attractive and a tennis player the entire time. Just saying. But in the last year Vogue comes calling. Netflix comes calling. Tennis Channel comes calling. The latter is the only one that legitimately might have happened without all the rest.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

On the one hand:
Sounds like a grown up (I jest)
On the other: he is Belgian. ;)
Yep, I can't see myself watching it either.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

The replies are interesting to me since I haven't watched any of the show. There's stuff with Nick and his girlfriend and Fritz and his girlfriend and few seem to be finding the focus on those couples worthwhile.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It is being compared to 'Drive to Survive' - the series Netflix has been doing about Formula 1 racing.
And the comments from knowledgeable people about 'Drive to Survive' have been that it's artificially dramatic; that they deliberately use things out of context in order to create 'sensational' and 'dramatic' content.
Not my kind of thing at all.

'Nexflix documentary' is an oxymoron.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

Lovely. So happy for him.

Post by JazzNU »