2022 Predictions (NOT THE CONTEST!)

Our main board to talk about our sport
Deuce Canada

Re: 2022 Predictions (NOT THE CONTEST!)

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:55 am I know everyone here is seeing parity in the WTA but I think that is mistaken..over the next 3-5 years, I expect Osaka and Barty to rule, rather like Federer and Nadal did earlier..their reign has just begun but if we cut the clutter, it seems clear they are head-and-shoulders above the field, in sheer ability and accomplishment...
So... you think that Barty and Osaka will win 20 Majors each - like the Federer and Nadal guys you mention?
I hope for your sake that you're not a betting person. :)
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have not seen Osaka as a force on anything other than hard courts. Ashely surely can play on all surfaces and I can now see her as winning around 10 slams.
But remember. She looked great at Wimby, and then was taken down at the USO.
It has been what, 3 straight years of 4 different winners at the Slams?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Not convinced of them ruling anything, especially Osaka, but those two are the only post Serena players to have held more than one Slam at the time. Kerber did it as well, but I think 2016 can't yet be called "post Serena"
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Deuce wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:02 am
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:55 am I know everyone here is seeing parity in the WTA but I think that is mistaken..over the next 3-5 years, I expect Osaka and Barty to rule, rather like Federer and Nadal did earlier..their reign has just begun but if we cut the clutter, it seems clear they are head-and-shoulders above the field, in sheer ability and accomplishment...
So... you think that Barty and Osaka will win 20 Majors each - like the Federer and Nadal guys you mention?
I hope for your sake that you're not a betting person. :)
Betting on sports is illegal where I live. Fortunately!!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Jokes aside, the tennis World will soon settle down after Covid..was very impressed by how Barty crossed the Ocean and won Miami ...she is a real champion. So is Osaka. I am quite confident the current chaos will end soon.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You call it chaos? It has happened before, although it was brief. In the early 2000's, with almost 10 players looking like potential GS winners. Then Venus and Serena took over.
You know my opinion. It is parity. All players play very much alike, and all are in excellent physical condition. Barty may be an exception, with her slice BH being a singular weapon, but everybody is about the same: first serve at about 105 MPH, solid FH, solid 2 handed BH, reasonable volleys (with all of them hitting swinging volleys when they come in, and missing about 25% of them). Barty, again, seems to be the one with the better net game.
It will be hard for somebody to gain any separation from the group.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And:
TIME TO LOOK AT OUR PREDICTIONS!!!!!!

For me: man, that crystal ball was fuzzy. I only got right:
Gauff and Alacaraz into the top 10.
The retirements were mostly correct (Serena and Roger did). Of course, Barty's was impossible to see.
Slam winners: only got Novak right. Missed anything Rafa did. My high hopes for Annet were wishful thinking.

Overall: I am no good at this thing of predicting.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

atlpam wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:17 pm Who ends 2022 as #1? Djokovic, Barty
Who wins the slams? Djokovic, Medvedev, Zverev
Who retires? Federer, Venus
Who drops from the top 10? Sakkari, Nadal
Who enters the top 10? Alcaraz, Rybakina
Which player from outside the top 50 makes the jump into it? Potapova, Brooksby
Will the WTA play in China? No
Will the ATP NOT play in China? (Alternate question, will the ATP grow a pair?)No
What really odd thing will happen in tennis? Roland Garros will use electronic line calling

And last:
Will C19 throw the entire calendar out of whack, or will the tours be able to play a full year? Some disruptions, but basically a full year of play will be possible.
Foiled by Barty’s unexpected retirement, Djokovic not getting vaccinated, and the lack of Wimbledon points.
Would Rybakina made the top 10 with Wimbledon points?
Potapova and Brooksby did make it into the top 50.
Nadal obviously had a much better year than I anticipated.
I did get the Federer retirement but no official word from Venus.
led14pa2 United States of America

Post by led14pa2 »

led14pa2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:59 pm This is always fun to look back at after the year is done!

Who ends 2022 as #1? Zverev and Barty
Who wins the slams? ATP - Zverev (2), Djokovic (1), and Nadal (1) WTA - Barty, Osaka, Rybakina, and Swiatek
Who retires? Federer, Fognini, Isner, Venus, Serena, Kuznetsova
Who drops from the top 10? Hurcazk, Berrettini, Sakkari, Konteveit, Badosa
Who enters the top 10? Fritz, Alcaraz, Rybakina, Mertens
Which player from outside the top 50 makes the jump into it? McDonald and Osorio
Will the ATP NOT play in China? (Alternate question, will the ATP grow a pair?) No, they'll play in China.
What really odd thing will happen in tennis? A teenage man makes a grand slam final.

And last:
Will C19 throw the entire calendar out of whack, or will the tours be able to play a full year? Similar to 2021. Some tournaments get cancelled, but most get played including all 4 slams.
Mixed results for me here! My teenage man making a grand slam final prediction hit. I wish I had been bold enough to say one would win. I got 3 out of the 4 WTA slam winners, including Rybakina! On the mens' side, I got Novak and Rafa each winning a slam. Both my #1 guesses were way off as neither finished in the top 10, though for very different reasons.

I got 3/5 dropping out of Top 10 correct and 2/4 entries (Fritz and Alacaraz). Sakkari staying in the top 10 surprised me, and Osorio disappointed.

We'll see how next year's picking goes!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

led14pa2 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:51 pm ...

Mixed results for me here! My teenage man making a grand slam final prediction hit. I wish I had been bold enough to say one would win. I got 3 out of the 4 WTA slam winners, including Rybakina! On the mens' side, I got Novak and Rafa each winning a slam. Both my #1 guesses were way off as neither finished in the top 10, though for very different reasons.

I got 3/5 dropping out of Top 10 correct and 2/4 entries (Fritz and Alacaraz). Sakkari staying in the top 10 surprised me, and Osorio disappointed.

We'll see how next year's picking goes!
You know? Wow! :notworthy:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ashkor87 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:05 am An even more futuristic look- how many majors will they win over their entire career?
Djokovic- 23
Nadal - 22
Federer - 20
Medvedev -5
Zverev - 2
Thiem - 1
FAA - 3
Alcaraz - 5

Barty- 6
Osaka - 8
Serena - 23
Raducanu- 3
Sabalenka - 2
Leylah - 2
Rybakina - 1
Ostapenko - 3
Swiatek - 3

Thoughts?
Barty confounded us all by retiring..and Raducanu doesn't look like getting 3, ever but am pleased Rybakina did win 1 and Swiatek is already at 3
My revised forecast at the end of '22 would be:
Swiatek 6
Osaka 5
Rybakina 2 (1 more,)
Ostapenko 1 ,(no more, that is)
Gauff 1
Leylah 3
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:12 pm As we are starting a new year, it is time for us to make our predictions for what will happen. So, get your crystal ball, sieve through the tea leaves or the coffee grinds, or pluck the entrails of a chicken (preferably dead but, your method is your method) and tell us, for both the ATP and the WTA:

For 23 ..
Who ends 2023 as #1? Djokovic and Swiatek
Who wins the slams? Djokovic and Alcaraz, Kyrgios wins Wimbledon..Swiatek wins 2, Osaka returns with 1 and Qinwen Zheng wins one
Who retires? Venus, Muguruza, Svitolina, Monfils
Who drops from the top 10? not sure I even know who is in there but- Sakkari and Fritz
Who enters the top 10? Osaka, Rybakina, coric
Which player from outside the top 50 makes the jump into it?again, don't know off the top of my head who is in there so ..
Will the ATP NOT play in China? (Alternate question, will the ATP grow a pair?) ATP will not either
What really odd thing will happen in tennis? Pickleball will draw a lot of money and players away from tennis

And last:
Will C19 throw the entire calendar out of whack, or will the tours be able to play a full year? Not relevant now, I hope.
Off Topic
We didn't do it last year but this time we will look back at our forecasts and check how well we did ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

You did well, Ashkor. You called Swiatek and Novak was one AELTC dumb decision away from #1 again. :thumbsup:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Thanks..Rybakina is the call I am proudest of...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

2023 looks like the return of the Big 3, except it will be a different 3:
the men; Alcaraz, Djokovic, Medvedev
the women: Swiatek, Sabalenka, Rybakina

these will mostly win all the big titles...

hope Zverev will be back, and Sinner steps up, but dont see them as challenging the big 3 this year..