The World of Style & Entertainment

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Jeff from TX United States of America

Re: The World of Style & Entertainment

Post by Jeff from TX »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:31 pm Image
Photo: Getty Images
Margot Robbie

I have no idea who/what her plus one is.

Jeff: I think the comforter from dream Barbie's bedroom got tied up with her sash and had no more time to fix it. Her handlers said "walk!"
It seems like time is going backwards towards 1984 . . . :freaking:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

derek guy
@dieworkwear
Some comments on the Oscars outfits. The following isn't meant to be mean or shame anyone, but just to help people develop an eye for certain details so that they can be better at deciding what fits them when shopping. 🧵

The velvet, shawl collar dinner jacket here is meant to convey elegance, but the cut ruins the effect. The jacket is too short, the pants are too tight, and the shirt collar is too low on his neck. Compare to Redford in 1974.

Trousers and sleeves should be hemmed. If you want to wear a black dress shirt with a black suit, I think it would look better if the dress shirt was made in a more casual material, like a black denim Western shirt worn without a tie. Outfit is very "welcome to Applebee's."

Very bad material for tailoring. If you want to use a slightly shinier fabric for an evening event, try wool-mohair. It will drape better and not make you look like you're wearing polyester. The fabric here also highlights all the problems with the fit.

P1
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

derek guy
@dieworkwear

Not bad, but it would look better if the trousers were pressed (not steamed) and if the jacket was a little longer. A suit jacket should end roughly halfway from your collar to the floor when you're in heeled shoes. Doesn't the silhouette on the right look better?

I think double-breasted jackets look better with a slightly lower buttoning point. This will elongate the lapel line and give you a better V-shaped silhouette. The sleeves on the left also look too tight.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

derek guy
@dieworkwear

The sleeves are too short, and the trousers are too narrow. Dinner suits (aka tuxedos) should also always be worn with some kind of waist covering, such as a cummerbund or vest. If you are wearing a DB tuxedo, you can forgo the waist covering if you never unbutton the jacket.

Terrific. One of the few "innovative DB" designs I've seen. Beautifully tailored, drapes well, and looks elegant. The detail around the fastening point is nice without being gimmicky.

I suspect his lapels are buckling away from his body and his jacket is twisting on him because his armholes are too low. Possibly a ready-made designer garment or made-to-measure. Compare his jacket to any dance scene by Fred Astaire.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

derek guy
@dieworkwear

Well done!! Beautifully tailored, well proportioned, no puckering or pulling. The outfit is tastefully put together.

I think he would look better in a slightly longer jacket, but the outfit is still very beautifully tailored. And I like the cowboy boots.

The "innovations" here don't feel like they add anything: the velvet collar, the trim short jacket, the black dress shirt with tonal tie (very high school prom), and the last button being fastened (was this intentional?). I'd scrap the entire outfit and put him in something else

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

@Disinvoltura
Dear
@dieworkwear what about Cillian?

derek guy
@dieworkwear

He looks great. I wish I saw that photo earlier, as I would have loved to include it as an example of "very well done."

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I'll do a full red carpet post tomorrow.
My daughter and I disagree about how America looks here. I LOVE how she's wearing that Versace gown. Where we disagree is her hair. I think it's too casual.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Perfection

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

She's wearing the hell out of this Versace as well but why the "I'm going to the mall" hair? Too casual.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think @derekguy would approve of Roger's look.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Red Carpet Looks via https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/10/styl ... hotos.html

Ariana Grande, one of the ceremony’s presenters, in Giambattista Valli.Credit...Nina Westervelt for The New York Times

I guess there is someone in there wearing this gown. I can't believe it walked in on its own...

Billie Eilish
Nina Westervelt for The New York Times

Her schtick is getting old...

Greta Lee of “Past Lives,” which was nominated for best picture, in Loewe.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Emma Stone
Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

I would like this better if the designer had chosen either the peplum or the train instead of both.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Bradley Cooper (in Louis Vuitton), nominated for best actor and best original screenplay for “Maestro,” with his mother, Gloria Campano.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Why the blue buttons though?

Da'vine Joy Randolph in Louis Vuitton Credit...Frederic J. Brown Agence French Press - Getty Images

Carey Mulligan, nominated for best actress for “Maestro,” in Balenciaga.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Talk about retro looks. She pulls it off although walking in that must be a...bit difficult

Ryan Gosling, a nominee for best supporting actor and one of the ceremony’s most anticipated performers, in Gucci.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

I guess no one told him this was the Oscar red carpet not the GG's or the Grammy's.

Cillian Murphy Invision via Associated Press

I chose the close up here because the detailing on the shirt is exquisite. I'm also glad he tied the tie this time.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Charlize Theron, one of the ceremony’s presenters, in Dior.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Mahershala Ali, one of the ceremony’s presenters.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

No tie? Since he's the actor I'll leave his partner alone. They're both too casual for an Oscar Red Carpet.

Robert Downey Jr., winner of the Oscar for best supporting actor, for “Oppenheimer,” and his wife, the producer Susan Downey, both in Saint Laurent.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Since she's in the business and is listed by name I will ask why she looks angry in that ill fitting gown.
We all know what Downey Jr has been through and I hate to drag him but really dude? Again this is the Oscars not the Golden Globes. I should mention that Ms Downey has been with him through it all. It's just an odd choice on such a big night for him.

Jennifer Lawrence, one of the ceremony’s presenters, in Dior.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

This is a perfect look for her. She's perfectly styled from head to toe. I don't have a problem with long hair at a formal event it just needs to be styled. Margot Robbie didn't style her hair. Jennifer did and it makes all the difference.

Emily Blunt (in Schiaparelli), nominated for best supporting actress for “Oppenheimer,” and her husband, John Krasinski (in Brioni).Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Matchy matchy and it doesn't work for me.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Jon Batiste, in Zegna, a nominee for best original song and one of the ceremony’s performers, and Suleika Jaouad Batiste, a star of “American Symphony,” in Atelier Jolie.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Well he's a musician. I like that men are playing with color but I think this is a bit casual for the Oscars.

Sterling K Brown a nominee for Best Supporting Actor
Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

I like the playfulness of this look. It's formal, very well styled and yet you see the man's personality. One of the best dressed men

Florence Pugh of “Oppenheimer,” which won the Oscar for best picture, in Del Core.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

I haven't liked anything she's done this season but then again she was up against Zendaya who was being styled by Law Roach during the Dune 2 promo tour. That said I saw another look at this from the front and I hope to post it later. The fabric is very difficult to work with and she looks decent enough.

Greta Gerwig, nominated for best adapted screenplay for “Barbie,” in Gucci.Credit...Nina Westervelt for The New York Times

Nothing to see here. Moving on.

Matthew McConaughey, one of the ceremony’s presenters, and his wife, Camila Alves McConaughey, both in Versace.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Was this award show bath optional? Both he and Gosling looked as if they rolled out of bed and threw on their clothing.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Lupita Nyong’o, one of the ceremony’s presenters, in Armani.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Lupita looks good here. Armani used a "peplum" of feathery material at the waist and repeated the look at the hem. No train. I love the color on her.

Melissa McCarthy, one of the ceremony’s presenters, in Christian Siriano.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

I usually love Siriano but this doesn't hit right for me. I'm not a fan of the huge swath of material wrapped around the wearer.

Chris Hemsworth, one of the ceremony’s presenters.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Bro culture on the Oscar Red Carpet. At least he looks as if he bathed.

Kate McKinnon, one of the ceremony’s presenters, in Akris.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times

Despite the statement choker this comes across as too casual for the Oscars Red Carpet

Michelle Yeoh, one of the ceremony’s presenters, in Balenciaga.Credit...Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet for The New York Times