With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

'22 AO Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
MJ2004

Re: '22 AO Day 8 OoP & Discussion

Post by MJ2004 »

Halep looks like she stepped out on court with no game plan whatsoever. Guess we're seeing the effects of losing Cahill.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

MJ2004 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:16 am Halep looks like she stepped out on court with no game plan whatsoever. Guess we're seeing the effects of losing Cahill.
Right now she is about dead. Flashbacks of 2018. Yet she just broke back in the second. Insane.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know what quality they can bring for a third set. They are melting on court. Way too hot.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed this a couple of days ago while looking at her WTA page.

Alize Cornet has never been past the round of 16 at a major. This is the sixth time she's gotten that far. Doesn't that strike you as very surprising? She's been a top 60 player for 15 years now, and finished the year in the top 20 twice, six years apart. There have been a lot of random players that have gotten to the round of 16, or further in that time, and she's never gotten there once?

And just as I was typing this, were the commentators talking about how often she had collapsed late after having a lead (I wasn't paying close attention)? Maybe they just explained what puzzled me.

Post by meganfernandez »

martini4me wrote:Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I noticed this a couple of days ago while looking at her WTA page.

Alize Cornet has never been past the round of 16 at a major. This is the sixth time she's gotten that far. Doesn't that strike you as very surprising? She's been a top 60 player for 15 years now, and finished the year in the top 20 twice, six years apart. There have been a lot of random players that have gotten to the round of 16, or further in that time, and she's never gotten there once?

And just as I was typing this, were the commentators talking about how often she had collapsed late after having a lead (I wasn't paying close attention)? Maybe they just explained what puzzled me.
Yeah I thought she would have made a quarterfinal with her longevity and the people she had beaten. I want her to win this match just to cross that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Yeah, Cornet definitely let Halep back in. Halep is playing smarter now.
Heat seems to be a factor for both players, but more so when they're behind, respectively. Make of that what you will.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I'm watching Felix-Cilic, where Felix saved a set point against in the 2nd set tiebreak, and converted on his 2nd set point. One set each.

Also watching Medvedev-Cressy, which is now into a 2nd set tiebreak after Medvedev won the opening set. Medvedev saved a set point against with a great shot.
Cressy has played a really good 2nd set, putting the pressure on Medvedev.

Will switch to watch the end of Halep-Cornet after Medvedev-Cressy tiebreak.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote:I'm watching Felix-Cilic, where Felix saved a set point against in the 2nd set tiebreak, and converted on his 2nd set point. One set each.

Also watching Medvedev-Cressy, which is now into a 2nd set tiebreak after Medvedev won the opening set. Medvedev saved a set point against with a great shot.
Cressy has played a really good 2nd set, putting the pressure on Medvedev.

Will switch to watch the end of Halep-Cornet after Medvedev-Cressy tiebreak.
So much better than yesterday already.

martini4me Canada

Post by martini4me »

How is ESPN serving anybody by showing two tie-breakers at once on one screen? Even with a large TV, it's tough to follow the ball, and then there's the added distraction of hearing the sound (ball strikes, footsteps, crowd noise) from the other court. Just choose one match to show us, and then switch over to show us the other match on replay when the first tie-breaker is over.

Post by meganfernandez »

Just incredible effort from Cornet (and Halep, for that matter). So happy for her. Wasn’t she one of the first players to speak out about Peng Shuai?

dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I really enjoyed both of the women's singles matches today. They were really good, dramatic matches given the heat. And Collins vs Cornet for the semis. They can both win that match. And Cornet was super lovely in her talk with Jelena Dokic. This is the best of sport. :)

Kevin

Post by meganfernandez »

dmforever wrote:I really enjoyed both of the women's singles matches today. They were really good, dramatic matches given the heat. And Collins vs Cornet for the semis. They can both win that match. And Cornet was super lovely in her talk with Jelena Dokic. This is the best of sport. :)

Kevin
It was a great match. So dramatic. The nostalgia at the end was so sweet!

I thought Collins might pull out of dubs, but no. She’s playing now. Might regret this.

jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

That was one of the worst losses of Halep's career.

She fought well, but she could not hit a volley to save her life, and a butchered one at 30-0 in the game she was broken in the third set ultimately led to her doom.

The heat really got to her--she once had to default against Makarova in Washington when it was hotter than 100 degrees and she was staggering around the court-but I'm not sure why. I knew Cornet would come back strong in the third set because she always throws in horrid patches in her matches, but a top player needs to win that one. It reminded me of Halep's loss to Townsend at the U.S. Open a few years ago when Townsend played fantastic but Halep had plenty of chances to beat here in the third set, just like in this one,
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I only saw bits and pieces of the first 2 sets of Cornet-Halep, then saw all of the last half hour or so.
Though I didn't see the entire match, it was clear from the last half hour that the heat was oppressive during the match. Watching them fight and run and come up with shot after shot was mightily impressive.
It was one of those matches where it's really unfortunate that one of them had to lose. Both players did themselves proud.

Felix is now up 2 sets to 1 over Cilic.
Medvedev and Cressy are 5-5 in the 3rd, with Cressy cramping in his legs. Medvedev up 2 sets to love.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cressy took the 3rd set tiebreak.
I'm very impressed with Cressy. He's played 2 great tiebreaks vs. arguably the best player on tour right now. He came back after being 2 sets to love down - most players would be resigned to defeat down 2 sets to love vs. Medvedev. But he hung in there.

Not only is it great to see the serve & volley game back in tennis, but Cressy is also blasting some returns back. His timing is impressive. He'll even throw in a chip & charge once in a while - which is something he was doing more in previous matches, but it's admittedly tougher to do vs. Medvedev.

Cressy also reads his little note book of hand written notes on changeovers. This guy is straight out of the '80s.
And in addition to all that, he's great fun to watch. Great hands at the net, great timing, and great hand-eye co-ordination. His ranking will be up to 59 if he loses this match - he's been climbing up the rankings ladder quickly in the past few months. If he continues playing like this, he's definitely a solid top 30 player - maybe top 20.
R.I.P. Amal...