Site Admin

Re: Tennis Related - Off Court Serious Issues

Post by ponchi101 »

w.o.w. :shock:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I just don't get being violent outside of self defense. No one likes it.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:19 am I just don't get being violent outside of self defense. No one likes it.
Deep rage and other psychological problems that people don't know how to channel any other way. That behavior is learned from an early age.

Post by meganfernandez »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:35 pm Yes, Djokovic was for sure using his platform. If some are right about his potential political ambitions, it was also a bit strategic.

I'd say the question to Seybouth Wild is warranted and in public interest (whether he is guilty or innocent) and although he didn't bring it up, the situation invites him as it concerns him directly.
I think nearly any question in the press room is warranted, beyond personally invasive questions and ones in clearly poor taste. Definitely questions about public accusations of this nature, absolutely. Wertheim disclosed that Wild's agent bullied the journalist afterward, trying to get a photo of his credential. Just awful.

In general, journalists should have a wide berth to pursue whatever stories they want. A player can always decline to answer. They have very little access to tennis players. They have to take advantage of the opportunity in press conferences.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 pm ...

I think nearly any question in the press room is warranted, beyond personally invasive questions and ones in clearly poor taste. Definitely questions about public accusations of this nature, absolutely. Wertheim disclosed that Wild's agent bullied the journalist afterward, trying to get a photo of his credential. Just awful.

In general, journalists should have a wide berth to pursue whatever stories they want. A player can always decline to answer. They have very little access to tennis players. They have to take advantage of the opportunity in press conferences.
A little off the subject.
What do you think of players/athletes that stonewall the interview? Marshall Lynch's famous "I am only here so I will not get fined" routine. Is that also fair game?
Serious question.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:35 pm Yes, Djokovic was for sure using his platform. If some are right about his potential political ambitions, it was also a bit strategic.

I'd say the question to Seybouth Wild is warranted and in public interest (whether he is guilty or innocent) and although he didn't bring it up, the situation invites him as it concerns him directly.

The story was already broken in a reputable (to my knowledge) Brazilian newspaper. The influencer/ex girlfriend made the texts where he admitted being a descendant of a "boy from brazil" so what was his agent going to get from bullying a tennis journalist doing what a journalist should do? Does he think his client will avoid the questions about these things going forward? Maybe Mr. Wild should go back to the Challenger circuit because as like Sabalenka will find out you can't duck out on these things.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I put this here because it's a topic that goes beyond Roland Garros.

Matt “Pickleball Mcnasty” Manasse
@Matt_Manasse
·
10h
So what do we do? Besides making sure we add pickleball to the Grand Slam docket…😜

Kyrgios out hurts 🇦🇺. Not sure where the 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 talent is these days. 🇺🇸 men are actually doing well but historically struggle at RG. I LOVE Asia representing. It’s a 2 man race regardless…
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

All I see is: a sport that was damn successful at reaching global audiences.
If we had not wanted that years ago, not tournaments outside the USA/GB/FR/AUS would have ever been started.
Look at is positively, and it is a raging success.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:55 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 pm ...

A little off the subject.
What do you think of players/athletes that stonewall the interview? Marshall Lynch's famous "I am only here so I will not get fined" routine. Is that also fair game?
Serious question.
I think so, occasionally. It's probably understandable at times, right? Haven't we all phoned something in at work now and then? But as a common practice, it's bad for the sport, bad for fans, bad for everyone.

I guess it also depends on what the topic is. If something big happened that the fans would benefit from hearing about, then it's worse. I'd rather they take some time to gather themselves and prepare for a press conference if they need to, rather than tank it or skip it.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:34 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:37 pm

The story was already broken in a reputable (to my knowledge) Brazilian newspaper. The influencer/ex girlfriend made the texts where he admitted being a descendant of a "boy from brazil" so what was his agent going to get from bullying a tennis journalist doing what a journalist should do? Does he think his client will avoid the questions about these things going forward? Maybe Mr. Wild should go back to the Challenger circuit because as like Sabalenka will find out you can't duck out on these things.
The agent accomplished nothing except maybe showing his client he has his back (or will take orders). But he would have served his client better by helping him understand the role of the media and that the journalist's question was totally fair.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:11 pm All I see is: a sport that was damn successful at reaching global audiences.
If we had not wanted that years ago, not tournaments outside the USA/GB/FR/AUS would have ever been started.
Look at is positively, and it is a raging success.
Right. Love the widespread representation.
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

I find the coincidence quite odd: Halep goes public with frustration that her doping case is stalled and she is not getting any answers. And then right after this the 2nd doping allegation appears. Are these doping people accountable in any way? Is there any authority which oversees them, other than them themselves?
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

mick1303 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:58 pm I find the coincidence quite odd: Halep goes public with frustration that her doping case is stalled and she is not getting any answers. And then right after this the 2nd doping allegation appears. Are these doping people accountable in any way? Is there any authority which oversees them, other than them themselves?
Court for Arbitration for Sport.

Halep's public statements, after months of silence, followed by a set of new allegations make it seem likely that she knew what was coming, and made the statements to sway opinions in her favour. This is good public relations messaging, but doesn't change the facts of the doping allegation.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Lucas Pouille, the Frenchman who had a feel-good stretch up to and through beginning of French Open, returned home to find it had been robbed to tune of over 600K euro

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:44 am Lucas Pouille, the Frenchman who had a feel-good stretch up to and through beginning of French Open, returned home to find it had been robbed to tune of over 600K euro
That is awful. Does SST have an alibi? Too soon?