Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Great Tennis Journalism 2.0

Post by meganfernandez »

dave g wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:57 am AMA? I am assuming you don't mean the American Medical Association, which was Google'a interpretation.
Ask Me Anything, aka a Q&A interview
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

dave g wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:57 am AMA? I am assuming you don't mean the American Medical Association, which was Google'a interpretation.
Ask Me Anything
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... eave-in-us

Guardian is my favorite paper so I was a bit sad to see this - the sports witer doesnt even know that Osaka already has 4 major titles..basic competence..even wikipedia would tell you.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Indeed. Tennis wise, embarrassing.
But, Naomi... PAID maternity leave is the exception, not the rule. In the majority of the countries in the world, what you get is a few weeks, or you get UNPAID extended leave. Paternity leave is even more rare; the three countries I can vouch for (Vennieland, Colombia and Argentina) do not have it. I am pretty sure that the majority of countries in Asia do not have paternity leave or a long maternity leave.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:36 pm Indeed. Tennis wise, embarrassing.
But, Naomi... PAID maternity leave is the exception, not the rule. In the majority of the countries in the world, what you get is a few weeks, or you get UNPAID extended leave. Paternity leave is even more rare; the three countries I can vouch for (Vennieland, Colombia and Argentina) do not have it. I am pretty sure that the majority of countries in Asia do not have paternity leave or a long maternity leave.
The US does not have a national system, so it is typically dependent on the employer. Most companies provide for anywhere from 6-12 weeks of leave, but the pay would also be dependent on the company policy. US has a family leave policy, but that just allows you to take the time; it is still up to the employer as to any pay (full pay, short term disability, etc.).

The last company I worked for had excellent benefits and provided both maternity & paternity leave as well as leave for adoptions to enable the parents time to bond with the newly adopted child.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

This is not quite true for maternity. The vast majority of countries (not US) have paid maternity leave, usually starting at 12 weeks at the lowest (a few countries will have less). There are 7 countries in the world without mandated paid maternity leave requirements - US, Papua New Guinea, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Tonga. 25% of women in the US return to work within 2 weeks of childbirth. This is generally unsafe.

Paid paternity leave is often insufficient although things are changing in a lot of countries. Many countries offer at least a short leave and some provide shared leave (of course a number of countries offer long and often gender-neutral parental leaves).

Colombia has 2 weeks fully paid paternity leave and 6 weeks of maternity leave can be transferred to the father
I think Venezuela also has 2 weeks..
Argentina does only offer 2 days.

Employers can provide more of course.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:17 pm https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/ ... eave-in-us

Guardian is my favorite paper so I was a bit sad to see this - the sports witer doesnt even know that Osaka already has 4 major titles..basic competence..even wikipedia would tell you.
I'll have to defend the writer here. It was a simple mistake. Wasn't double-checked. She probably isn't a tennis fan or tennis journalist, and maybe she thought she knew that for sure and was just wrong. It might even be someone else's mistake, like an editor's. But it seems like the Guardian isn't fact-checking anything or everything. I've published mistakes. It happens to everyone. Most of them are harmless. I doubt it means this writer is careless, incompetent, or a bad journalist. Hasn't everyone made a mistake in their jobs?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

As you say, just a mistake, probably not a tennis writer..but why can't they get one?
Given that it doesn't actually say anything worth saying, one wonders if it is a' paid' article, intended to promote Rothenberg's book..quite common in India.
Though I commend the commentary on paid maternity leave in the US, but I am sure everyone is aware of that already, though Svitolina may not have been...
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:23 am As you say, just a mistake, probably not a tennis writer..but why can't they get one?
Given that it doesn't actually say anything worth saying, one wonders if it is a' paid' article, intended to promote Rothenberg's book..quite common in India.
Though I commend the commentary on paid maternity leave in the US, but I am sure everyone is aware of that already, though Svitolina may not have been...
There is no mention of the book in the article at all and her return is a big story so I can't see this being a paid promotion.

I think Osaka (not Svitolina :) ) is/was aware and is just using the opportunity to call out a wrong as she's done with other issues.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

in India, it is up to every employer.. some are very generous, some dont have any at all..
most modern companies do have, but it is quite limited..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

re my comment about the tennis writer, it is just part of my plea for journalists who follow, and understand tennis, rather than some football or baseball writer who has been asked to do a story on tennis. We need journalists dedicated to tennis..the error is probably not the fault of the writer - the magazine or news site should get journalists who follow tennis full-time. Nobody who really follows tennis full-time would be ignorant of the fact that Osaka has 4 majors.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:24 pm
in India, it is up to every employer.. some are very generous, some dont have any at all..
most modern companies do have, but it is quite limited..
For paternity. India has a minimum for 26 weeks paid maternity leave for the mother for the first 2 births and 12 weeks if third child or beyond (which is silly because healing, taking care of a new baby, and of 2 other children is more challenging than 1 or 2)
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

On paper yes..reality is something else .more than 90 percent of the workforce is in the informal sector, to whom no laws really apply
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, but that is a macro issue. M8's point is that, as far as the laws are concerned, maternity leave is in them.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sorry to be pedantic but it pains me when I read 'can Sabalenka defend her title?' When what the writer means is 'successfully defend' or 'retain'..,,if Sabalenka so much as steps on the court, she is defending her title.