Injury and Illness

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Injury and Illness

Post by ponchi101 »

He said he used the exo and his match with Novak to precisely test the knee. He was able to play but he says it would not withstand a real match.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

He posted on his IG Stories some disgusting looking substance that was extracted from his knee. For anyone that doesn't remember, his knee has been injured in the past, so it's going to be an area they monitor closely. Won't be surprised if he's out longer than they were initially projecting. Feel like he regularly gets healthy to be ready for Acapulco more often than not.

Honestly, Nick's not that durable. He's not all that young anymore, been on the tour for a while and he's spent a lot of time not playing, not because of suspension or being disgruntled in some way, but because of injury. A host of them. I recall a shoulder more than once, an elbow, a wrist and repeated knee injuries and I know there are others. There was some question about whether his style of play, especially his serve, would lead to injuries and that was probably a valid concern.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The only thing I would add is that it is puzzling. His serve is as smooth a motion as can be. The BH is compact as hell. The forehand flows.
It is not as if he has poor biomechanics; I think he is as pure as striker of the ball as anybody. That is why the injuries are a surprise to me.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Mr. Nadal - a class act as always...
Asked if his ‘team’ had told him to retire from the match, Nadal replied (paraphrasing):
“I’m old enough to make my own decisions. As the defending champion, I didn’t want to retire. I lost. Nothing to say... Congratulate my opponent... That’s sports - just try your best to the end. It doesn’t matter the chances you have (of winning) - that’s the philosophy of the sport; that’s the essence of the sport by itself. I’ve tried to follow that through all of my career. But, of course, I try not to increase the damage (of the hip injury) because I don’t know what’s going on there.”

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:53 pm The only thing I would add is that it is puzzling. His serve is as smooth a motion as can be. The BH is compact as hell. The forehand flows.
It is not as if he has poor biomechanics; I think he is as pure as striker of the ball as anybody. That is why the injuries are a surprise to me.
But his motions are very fast, right? Or is heavy the better word?.

Here's something I noticed for him and a few others, like Raonic. They are serving heat on almost every single serve, first and second. Not completely unlike a baseball pitcher. You know what most baseball pitchers do when they are done pitching? Have their arm in a sling of ice. I've seen plenty of photos of the big tennis servers and I can't recall ever seeing them in one, and that's the time they'd have them on, soon after getting off court. It's especially done in baseball after a pitcher has had an injury to their shoulder, elbow, or wrist to help prevent future injury. I've seen Raonic wear a compression sleeve and Kyrgios where something close to that, but never the ice sleeve.

Brad Gilbert has said more than once that he was surprised that Andy Roddick's abbreviated motion serve wasn't heavily adopted more because it mitigates a lot of injury risk. Everyone's body is different, so maybe it wouldn't make a difference in other big servers, but given the level of serving Andy was doing day in and day out, it's rather impressive how little injury he sustained to his shoulder/arm during his career. He was injured it a few times, but not a lot and not for long, rarely missed the slams during his career.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

Wasn't sure where to put this.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And we are happy that the doctor was wrong.
But: he was probably trying to do his best and be honest.

Post by JazzNU »

Just sharing the post since Andy posted it and it's doing numbers, not judging the doctor. Many doctors that are not quacks have been proven wrong before, doesn't make them an overall bad doctor, just likely means most patients with the exact same injury or ailment have not been as lucky to have the recovery that you did.

My first reaction to this was to call BS - your (I assume) British hip doctor was in Melbourne and you "randomly" ran into him? BS. But you know, just sharing.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:28 am Just sharing the post since Andy posted it and it's doing numbers, not judging the doctor. Many doctors that are not quacks have been proven wrong before, doesn't make them an overall bad doctor, just likely means most patients with the exact same injury or ailment have not been as lucky to have the recovery that you did.

My first reaction to this was to call BS - your (I assume) British hip doctor was in Melbourne and you "randomly" ran into him? BS. But you know, just sharing.
Murray's first hip operation was done in Melbourne. The second surgery was done in London, and that's the procedure that allowed him to continue to play.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... t-20935398

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Torn muscles are in vogue.
And this is a non-contact sport. A measure of how physically tough it is.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

"My kingdom for a PR firm!"

Djokovic unsure on injury return after Australian Open 'perfect 10'

Small sample:
Djokovic's coach, Goran Ivanisevic, said most players would not have played after a pre-tournament scan showed the extent of the hamstring injury.
"But not him -- he is from outer space," Ivanisevic told reporters.
"His brain is working different. He gave everything, 77 therapies a day. Every day was kind of better and better."
End quote.

You just won a slam dropping only one set. You went through the #24, #6, #34 and #4 players in the world like a hot knife through butter. We saw you move with the speed, power and precision of a laser guided missile.
Stop it. For your own good, stop it.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

His persecution complex might count as an injury