In Memoriam

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
dryrunguy

Re: In Memoriam

Post by dryrunguy »

The NY Times is reporting that Henry Kissinger has died. He was 100.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Re Kissinger:
Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia – the fruits of his genius for statesmanship – and you will never understand why he’s not sitting in the dock at The Hague next to Milošević.

Anthony Bourdain
He's also the man who brought us Pinochet and the dirty war in Argentina.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It seems that MAGAts are the only ones who want to celebrate this man.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

This is making the rounds:
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

In sadder news, Shane MacGowan of the Pogues has died at age 65.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

MJ2004 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:25 pm In sadder news, Shane MacGowan of the Pogues has died at age 65.
I'm not familiar with his music but there seems to be wide spread grief about his passing.

mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:34 am It seems that MAGAts are the only ones who want to celebrate this man.
When I was in college studying political science in the early 2000s, I had to read a lot of stuff and was recommended books that glorified Kissinger's foreign affairs expertise, especially in the Cold War. I could never understand why he was so revered as he seemed to really hate humanity and not wish well on most of the world's peoples.

Maybe I somehow missed any wide criticism of him at the time, but I've enjoyed watching the tide turn around on the public opinion of him.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:11 pm
ti-amie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:34 am It seems that MAGAts are the only ones who want to celebrate this man.
When I was in college studying political science in the early 2000s, I had to read a lot of stuff and was recommended books that glorified Kissinger's foreign affairs expertise, especially in the Cold War. I could never understand why he was so revered as he seemed to really hate humanity and not wish well on most of the world's peoples.

Maybe I somehow missed any wide criticism of him at the time, but I've enjoyed watching the tide turn around on the public opinion of him.
It's amazing how there are more people quoting Anthony Bourdain than any msm organization. Rolling Stone did an obituary that was spot on. Very long, but spot on.

Henry Kissinger, War Criminal Beloved by America’s Ruling Class, Finally Dies
The infamy of Nixon's foreign-policy architect sits, eternally, beside that of history's worst mass murderers. A deeper shame attaches to the country that celebrates him

BY SPENCER ACKERMAN

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... 234804748/

The reporting on SE Asia and the rise of Pinochet alone are worth the read.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

NY Times is reporting that former U.S. Supreme Court Justice and the first woman appointed to the court, Sandra Day O'Connor, has died at the age of 93.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Andre Braugher was seriously good
The actor knew how to wield his extraordinary gravitas — even when it was a punchline

Perspective by Travis M. Andrews
December 13, 2023 at 5:25 p.m. EST

Braugher as Detective Frank Pembleton in “Homicide: Life on the Street.” (Eric Liebowitz/NBC/Everett Collection)

You didn’t want to end up in the box with Andre Braugher.

That is to say, you wouldn’t want to be interrogated by Detective Frank Pembleton, or Capt. Raymond Holt, or any of the other lawmen and soldiers Braugher — who died Monday at 61 after what his publicist described as “a brief illness” — inhabited in his career. The interrogation room was his greatest stage. As Pembleton, his fiercely religious and religiously fierce detective from NBC’s “Homicide: Life on the Street,” he described how a person might end up there.

“You are a citizen of a free nation. Having lived your adult life in the land of guaranteed civil liberties, you commit a crime of violence, whereupon you are jacked up, dragged down to police headquarters and deposited in a claustrophobic anteroom containing three chairs, a table and cold brick walls,” he intoned.

“Have a seat, please.”

Braugher tackled serious roles with an almost frightening intensity. Trained at Juilliard, his career began in 1989 as Kojak’s partner, Detective Winston Blake, on the small screen and as a free man who joins the Union Army in the film “Glory.” A few years later, he became Pembleton, the resolute, self-righteous Baltimore detective on “Homicide,” a role that earned him his first of two Emmys. (The second was for “Thief.”) “I’ve worked with a lot of wonderful actors,” David Simon, who worked on that show and who wrote the book on which it was based, posted on X. “I’ll never work with one better” than Braugher.

If Pembleton is one pillar of his TV-acting legacy, Holt — the no-nonsense leader of a band of clownish (but still competent) detectives in the sitcom “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” — is the other.

The show finds Holt consistently exasperated by his people, even when he’s impressed by their work. Playing opposite Andy Samberg and a bunch of other goofballs, Braugher used his gravitas to elevate the comedy, allowing us to imagine what would happen if one of his aging hard-bitten cops had been plucked off the set of a gritty drama and dropped into a sitcom universe.

No episode exemplified this better than Season 5’s “The Box” (of course), which finds a tuxedo-clad Holt en route to the theater. But Detective Jake Peralta (Samberg) has a dentist (Sterling K. Brown) suspected of murdering his business partner in the interrogation room. They don’t have enough evidence to put him away, so they need a confession. “An interrogation with a ticking clock and everything on the line,” Holt says. “I better call Kevin and tell him I won’t be attending the opera. There’s someone else I’d rather hear sing.”

He then calls his husband and reminds him the tickets are under his name. He spells it out: “H. O. L. T.”

What follows is an homage to “Homicide,” which also featured an episode-length interrogation, only this time it’s played for laughs. Holt and Peralta spend the night trying to break the dentist. At one point, Holt loses his temper during an argument about the validity of a dentist considering himself a doctor.

“Most people want to become actual doctors,” he says.

“That’s ridiculous,” replies Brown’s character. “It’s not like we’re college professors calling ourselves doctors. … When someone has a heart attack on a plane, do they yell out, ‘Yo, does anybody here have an art history PhD?’”

Holt flies off the handle, a white-hot temper taking over — the full-on Pembleton. But instead of screaming something Pembletonian, such as, “Son, you are ignorance personified!” he says this: “A PhD is a doctor-ate. It’s literally describing a doctor. ... The problem here is that medical practitioners have co-opted the word ‘doctor.’ I know we live in a world where ANYTHING CAN MEAN ANYTHING AND NOBODY EVEN CARES ABOUT ETYMOLOGY!”

Braugher was always in complete control of his instrument: a baritone that could fluctuate between plush velvet and serrated blade. His intensity could be a warm embrace or a deadly chokehold.

Consider another line from that same “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” episode:

“I imagine a bear mistook the rotting corpse for a female of its species and had intercourse with it,” Holt says, remarking on a victim’s body that was found by hikers in a desecrated state. “Nothing I haven’t seen before.”

Those are grisly sentences, the stuff of true crime, twisted thrillers and terrifying horrors. Braugher gets the laugh by stating it matter-of-factly, almost as if he’s put off by having to explain something so obvious.

Some people say the role of Holt ruined Braugher’s career. These people are wrong.

Whether he was playing the title role in Shakespeare’s “Henry V,” or investigator Tommy Goodman in “Primal Fear,” or the thief in “Thief,” Braugher practiced total and absolute dedication to understanding the characters. Just because one was in a 22-minute network sitcom didn’t mean it required less conscientiousness, less commitment. So when an episode of “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” revolved around Holt’s knowledge of “Sex and the City,” Braugher began studying.

“It deeply bothered Andre that he didn’t know the show so we spent days getting him up to speed. He was quizzing his wife at night too. He cared so deeply and was so so funny,” wrote Ryan Case, a director and editor who worked on the show, on X. “My ‘challenge’ editing him in the Brooklyn pilot was finding takes where he wasn’t smiling. We wanted to save that for the end. He was like a giddy school child doing his first comedy and it was so wonderful.”

But the most impressive thing about Braugher, as many have noted since his death, might be the opportunities he didn’t take, because his family, his wife and fellow “Homicide” actress Ami Brabson and their three sons, came first — a fact many tributes to the actor are quick to point out. Critic Alan Sepinwall wrote in Rolling Stone about his time interviewing the actor: “The part that stayed with me wasn’t about Andre Braugher, world-class thespian, but rather when he talked about how he had worked out to a science how to maximize time with Brabson and the kids, despite working 3,000 miles away from them.”

In a 2020 interview with Variety, Braugher talked about how he hadn’t done as much as he might have, if his priorities had been different. “I think it could have been larger,” he said of his career. “I think it could have spanned more disciplines: directing, producing, all these other different things. But it would have been at the expense of my own life.”

“I haven’t been in Australia. I haven’t been in Prague. I haven’t been shooting in San Paolo or whatever,” he said. “I’ve got three boys, and I want them to know me as someone other than the guy who takes them to the circus every once in a while. I wanted to be there through the course of their life because I know how important fathers are.”

The rest of us were lucky for the time we got to spend watching Braugher in the box, grateful we weren’t the ones in there with him.

Braugher in 2018. (Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... reciation/

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I never watched him in "Brooklyn 99" but I'm very familiar with his other work. He was one of the actors that if you saw him working in a production you knew it was going to be something worth watching. May he RIP.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

His comedic performance on Brooklyn 99 was very impressive and he seemed like a lovely person, very sad
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/re ... -metallica
It is reported that he was once asked after losing to Gonzales, ' did his serve trouble you?' , his reply 'Pancho' s serve is a thing of beauty..how can a thing of beauty be a trouble?'..he used to hang out with Jeff Borowiak, and they used to practice at 2 am or something...a unique person, never before, never again probably, to grace this earth and teach us that, in the end, it is the game, the beautiful game...!
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Once he was leading Newcombe 2 sets to love, when a butterfly flew into his face and caused him to stop...his only comment was 'am I a butterfly dreaming I am a man or a man dreaming I am a butterfly?'
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And it happened at match point, and he went on to lose the match.
A truly unique individual. May the universe welcome him back.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem