The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
JazzNU United States of America

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:36 pm I'm not sure why people are still hiring Tursunov. There must be some sort of fundamental flaw in his coaching style to be bounced around so much, and after reading his comments about how Rybakina's coach was solely responsible for her Wimbledon win, I think I might know what it is.
Why are you making me defend Tursunov? I think he's been hired so many times because he's gotten great results with his players. He hasn't been fired for the most part. Sabalenka was... an interesting partnership. Let's leave it there, but he got her to this championship level and I'm not sure there's a ton of pushback on that, he didn't take her across the finish line, but she was largely an also ran before he took over coaching duties. Anett went from a player that was good but not that consistent to a very good player with a high level of consistency on her best surfaces. He left that partnership, he wasn't fired. Emma has fired everyone under the sun at this point, so not sure that can be put on Dmitry. I'm assuming that Bencic fired him and that's really the first not that successful partnership he's had I think.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

There is no denying that he is a good coach; I just don’t think the accompanying personality would be worth it :D

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:57 pm There is no denying that he is a good coach; I just don’t think the accompanying personality would be worth it :D
First, from your comments, I wasn't thinking you thought he was a good coach. But, what accompanying personality? The comments about Rybakina's coach that also happens to be his friend? Because I get that wasn't good, but that's like a brand new thing and not something Aryna, Anett, or Belinda has been saying about the way he acts, unless I've missed something?

I'm not trying to make you like him as a person or a coach, but the one comment about Rybakina seems like quite the outlier. Hearing how effusive Aryna and Anett were about their coaching relationships speaks more to me than his one comment on Twitter. Heck, even if she did fire him, Belinda has been more positive than I typically remember her being about him as well.

The way that everyone has been concerned about the manner which Rybakina's coach talks and acts isn't something I've heard at all in relation to Dmitry. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Post by JazzNU »

Another coaching move I didn't see mentioned - Caroline Garcia is back with her coach, Bertrand Perret, from last season that she saw such great success with.

Reminder - he split with her right before the WTA Finals last year, not the other way around.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

It's more like most of his comments on Twitter, albeit I stopped following him long ago, so haven't seen anything recently. Plus, he doubled down on that Rybakina comment once he started getting pushback for it. I liked him quite a bit as a player and thought his irreverent attitude was kind of fun, but to me his ever-ballooning ego since making the transition to coach has diminished his appeal.

Also, Aryna may remember that coaching duo fondly, but I distinctly remember her not enjoying it while it was happening, or at least there was a lot of on court friction between the two.

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:46 pm It's more like most of his comments on Twitter, albeit I stopped following him long ago, so haven't seen anything recently. Plus, he doubled down on that Rybakina comment once he started getting pushback for it. I liked him quite a bit as a player and thought his irreverent attitude was kind of fun, but to me his ever-ballooning ego since making the transition to coach has diminished his appeal.

Also, Aryna may remember that coaching duo fondly, but I distinctly remember her not enjoying it while it was happening, or at least there was a lot of on court friction between the two.
Not sure how she remembers it, but again, I wouldn't go there in general. They had the best OCC coaching exchange ever in the history of the WTA for sure at Indian Wells in I think 2019. But while she was in that coaching relationship, she was very positive about it and regularly talked about him improving her game and being a fun coach to have, very much in line with the personality consistent with when he was a player.

I have never followed him on Twitter, so I'm not at all sure about what he says on there. I just know what's been posted here and what his players have said, as I do follow Aryna and Anett. I only check in here and there with Belinda, she's never been a favorite.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Muguruza and Conchita have parted ways . Well, Mugu has practically retired, I guess,😥
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Yes. Now is the moment for somebody to pick up Conchita for a coach. She has been good.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 3:41 pm Yes. Now is the moment for somebody to pick up Conchita for a coach. She has been good.
Coco?!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

If you go by the philosophy of picking somebody that has a different game than yours so she can teach you new things, that could be a good match. Conchita had a very reliable FH, which, for example, you say is one of Coco's weaknesses. And it seems Conchita is also the mellow type.
Don't see it happening, but it could work (I think).

Post by JazzNU »

I posted about Conchita and Garbine yesterday and that post is now gone? Like I'm positive I posted it right before I posted about Caroline Garcia
and why that says "another" coaching move. Posted the IG message and a link to the Spanish version, double checked and everything, now I can't find it? That's strange. It was a nice message and they are still on good terms.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

The language barrier would be a problem for Cori and Conchita I think.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:17 pm I posted about Conchita and Garbine yesterday and that post is now gone? Like I'm positive I posted it right before I posted about Caroline Garcia
and why that says "another" coaching move. Posted the IG message and a link to the Spanish version, double checked and everything, now I can't find it? That's strange. It was a nice message and they are still on good terms.
Very odd. I can't find any post from you about the subject, yesterday. Sole thing I can think of is that the "somebody posted something while you were composing" function kicked in.
If you don't mind posting it again. Would be good to read.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:59 pm The language barrier would be a problem for Cori and Conchita I think.
Unless I missed Karolina being fluent in Spanish (which is entirely possible), I would hazard a guess that Conchita speaks very good English and this wouldn't be an issue.

That being said, I have a hard time seeing her becoming Coco's coach.

Post by JazzNU »

This is what Conchita posted. Posting English here and a link to the Spanish version.

In Español - https://www.instagram.com/p/Cq8dzEtNQs0/