The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by ponchi101 »

Lost amidst this week's preparations for RG, nobody mentioned that Stefanos fired his coach. The WRONG coach. He and Phillipousis parted ways.
Not the man to get rid of, Stefanos. It is the other guy that hangs like an anchor around your neck.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:10 pm Lost amidst this week's preparations for RG, nobody mentioned that Stefanos fired his coach. The WRONG coach. He and Phillipousis parted ways.
Not the man to get rid of, Stefanos. It is the other guy that hangs like an anchor around your neck.
It's a lot harder to fire your father. The parents that do it well - Sharapov, and the Williams - realize they've taken their child as far as they can and withdraw as the child takes control of their career.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And ESPN reports that Zverev is no longer working with Bruguera.
You know, when NOBODY can work with you, it is probably not them.
(And I like Zverev).
Oploskoffie Netherlands

Post by Oploskoffie »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:47 pm And, being a jerk, on other news, Raducanu DID NOT change her coach on the 1st quarter of the year.

Ok, serious here. That seems to have stabilized, which is good for her.
In the 2nd quarter of the year, however...

Emma Raducanu: Former US Open Champion splits with fifth coach in less than two years

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/65776353

Challenging circumstances for both player and coach, I'm sure, but who's/what's next after she's done recovering from surgery?
My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Spoke too soon, didn't I? :?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was actually very surprised to see pics of Raducanu partying/hanging out in Mexico when the French Open began. Of course she made sure her bandaged wrist featured in a couple of them.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

What else is she supposed to do? She can't train.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Pilgrimage to Lourdes, Betania, Guadalupe, The Ganges, Mecca and Medina and any other place where she can exorcise whichever demons she has upset and keep getting her injured.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:06 pm What else is she supposed to do? She can't train.
Work on her core, her lower body strength? I'm sure a decent PT could design a regimen that wouldn't involve using her arms or did one of her lower extremities also get injured? She's had so many injuries it's hard to keep track. Maybe it's just me. I just thought it was tacky to be seen partying when you're injured.

Or she could do what Ponchi suggests. :)
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

She could be doing all those things and still go out at night.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:36 pm She could be doing all those things and still go out at night.
This is true.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Out at night? This girl needs to finish her therapy and then be tucked into bed, wrapped in bubble wrap and assorted layers of styrofoam.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

To me, and I'm in no way privy to what is going on with her other than what I read in the press it shows that she is not serious about her tennis. Yes, she's young and may want to go out at night but she can do that in England. London is known for its party culture. I thought she was with IMG who should, at the least have people who understand that being photographed partying/hanging out in Mexico while injured isn't a good look.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:59 pm To me, and I'm in no way privy to what is going on with her other than what I read in the press it shows that she is not serious about her tennis. Yes, she's young and may want to go out at night but she can do that in England. London is known for its party culture. I thought she was with IMG who should, at the least have people who understand that being photographed partying/hanging out in Mexico while injured isn't a good look.
With her tennis career in danger due to injuries and her tennis fame fading due to bad results, she (and surely IMG) has to at least consider making sure she can make an alternative living long-term and capitalize on her current fame. She wasn't "partying" in Mexico. She was attending a Dior show FOR Dior. There is a Harper's Bazaar feature about her collaboration with them on it. So, she was working and building her brand.

The expectation that, at the height of opportunity, an injured athlete should be hiding from the public, working on her core 8 hours a day (around the clock?) and not leave her neighborhood is very weird to me. It's not like air travel affects your wrist or you can't find a gym in Mexico City?

She has to pay her ever-rotating team and that costs a ton of money, so how can we fault her for making some and/or enjoying it in the process (if she did).

I understand criticizing a player who does a potentially dangerous physical activity (like skiing) while recovering from an injury, I don't understand an objection to travel or an evening out.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

mmmm8 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:29 pm
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:59 pm To me, and I'm in no way privy to what is going on with her other than what I read in the press it shows that she is not serious about her tennis. Yes, she's young and may want to go out at night but she can do that in England. London is known for its party culture. I thought she was with IMG who should, at the least have people who understand that being photographed partying/hanging out in Mexico while injured isn't a good look.
With her tennis career in danger due to injuries and her tennis fame fading due to bad results, she (and surely IMG) has to at least consider making sure she can make an alternative living long-term and capitalize on her current fame. She wasn't "partying" in Mexico. She was attending a Dior show FOR Dior. There is a Harper's Bazaar feature about her collaboration with them on it. So, she was working and building her brand.

The expectation that, at the height of opportunity, an injured athlete should be hiding from the public, working on her core 8 hours a day (around the clock?) and not leave her neighborhood is very weird to me. It's not like air travel affects your wrist or you can't find a gym in Mexico City?

She has to pay her ever-rotating team and that costs a ton of money, so how can we fault her for making some and/or enjoying it in the process (if she did).

I understand criticizing a player who does a potentially dangerous physical activity (like skiing) while recovering from an injury, I don't understand an objection to travel or an evening out.
I just posted about the Dior show in the "Injury and Illness" thread. The only bandage visible is on her wrist and it looks more like padding than support. There is also a video showing that she has no visible support on either of her ankles. I'll put the video in the other thread.

That said I don't think Dior would cancel their contract with her if she didn't go due to her recent surgeries.