The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by ti-amie »

Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 🤖
@christophclarey@sportsbots.xyz
Jessica Pegula, back on tour in San Diego after split with longtime coach David Witt, just told us she is now working with Mark Merklein & Mark Knowles, both former tour players. Knowles was No. 1 in doubles
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Former world No 6 gives insight into how he is helping Daniil Medvedev in coaching role

In an interview with Le Figaro, Simon revealed he has been helping Medvedev since December and that he had given him tactical advice ahead of his first win over Novak Djokovic at the 2019 Monte Carlo Masters.

“Daniil contacted me and asked if I’d be interested in doing a few weeks with them (Medvedev and his team) in 2024,” the 39-year-old said.

“[In 2019, before Medvedev faced Djokovic in the quarter-finals in Monte-Carlo] he had said to me: ‘Novak…what do you think?’ I had explained to him how to play and he had won. He remembered, which is why he wanted to try it out with me.

“I’ve already been working with him since December, but we haven’t said anything. In Australia, I sent all the tactics. During Daniil’s matches, I would send instructions to Gilles Cervara, who would pass them on, or not, in real time to Daniil! That’s really where I can help him.

“For example, he gave me a list of 16 players he doesn’t like to play against, and I prepared 16 tactics! Daniil is extremely strong tactically, feels very precisely what needs to be done, but it happens to him, like everyone else, to make mistakes.

“Because of emotions, because he’s impatient… So, I try to explain it to him, and I think he likes it.”

Full article at this link: https://www.tennis365.com/tennis-news/g ... ching-role
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:59 pm Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 🤖
Jessica Pegula, back on tour in San Diego after split with longtime coach David Witt, just told us she is now working with Mark Merklein & Mark Knowles, both former tour players. Knowles was No. 1 in doubles
She played Knowles's charity tournament in December, too. And last year, I think.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:49 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:59 pm Christopher Clarey 🇺🇸 🇫🇷 🇪🇸 🤖
She played Knowles's charity tournament in December, too. And last year, I think.
good, not retiring or anything. But does it mean she wants to focus on doubles more?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:49 pm
ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:59 pm Christopher Clarey Image Image Image Image
good, not retiring or anything. But does it mean she wants to focus on doubles more?
Almost definitely not. Must communicate well with him and respect his knowledge and views on preparing, analyzing opponents, getting the most out of her game, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.wtatennis.com/news/3925119/ ... d-strategy

Feels so good to see this..now we need more women coaching men...
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I've never liked Knowles as a commentator or a coach. Maybe it will work out with Pegula, but I doubt it.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sakkari now working with Witt...hope she learns there is more to tennis that building muscle.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Exactly. I think she focuses to much on the physical part, and has not been learning a few new things.
It reminds me of one practice session I saw with Rublev. Vicente was feeding him balls to his forehand, and Andrei was hitting three inside out forehands and then crushing one down the line. I thought: "You REALLY need to practice THAT? That is 90% of what you do all the time, in every match against everybody."
I know you have to keep your strengths, but you have to add new things too. Let's see what Witt can teach Sakkari.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Yes, practice what?..McEnroe said once he only practices going backwards, because people keep lobbing him . .no point trying to pass him

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Uhm.... somebody is losing confidence in his game? I wonder...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Good comment from Clerc:
"That also means he has no intention to retire soon."
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Djoko is probably upset because Goran cannot figure out what is wrong with him....my own theory is it is Old Father Time...Kaala as we say in India (btw the verse Oppenheimer read in the movie said 'I am Kaala' not 'I am death'....)
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 am Djoko is probably upset because Goran cannot figure out what is wrong with him....my own theory is it is Old Father Time...Kaala as we say in India (btw the verse Oppenheimer read in the movie said 'I am Kaala' not 'I am death'....)
I agree with this analysis. Clerc might be right in saying that Djokovic doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon. However, it is not clear to me that Djokovic will ever truly return to winning majors, nor does Djokovic realize that he is not likely to win majors anymore. That is, just because Djokovic is not planning on retiring anytime soon does not mean that he will not retire anytime soon.