The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by ashkor87 »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:38 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:28 am Pegula is at her Witt’s end. Sorry.::: they split.

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/je ... david-witt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So who will she pick? Saban or Carroll? Belichick?

:lol:

I wonder if he would work with Cori considering the two women are friendly.
Then again Raducanu could ask him questions for a week or two before firing him because he doesn't know as much as she does...
I wonder if she is going to sign off soon.. she doesnt need the money or the aggravation or the injuries..and she seems to have hit a wall anyway.. not able to challenge seriously for major titles..
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Things must be really bad if they're jumping ship this quickly - this seems like a Tsitsipas situation - we'll see whether Rune can cut the apron strings, because Tsitsipas never has, because otherwise he's done.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Well, the Rune's are wealthy, so they have all the right answers. I'm also not opposed to watching wealthy peoples "plans" go to pot. Maybe if Holger grows up one day, he'll know how to escape.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Becker's reason for leaving sounds suspect to me. I'm guessing there's got to be some sort of conflict happening for both coaches to jump ship.
meganfernandez United States of America

The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by meganfernandez »

skatingfan wrote:Things must be really bad if they're jumping ship this quickly - this seems like a Tsitsipas situation - we'll see whether Rune can cut the apron strings, because Tsitsipas never has, because otherwise he's done.
I just edited the Shapiro podcast with Aneke Rune. It’s out - I recommend a listen.

She seems wise, normal and like a good tennis parent, not a controlling one. She explained that last year was necessary for Holger from a maturity standpoint. She said he has had the same coach since he was 6 and it is normal to not find the perfect scenario right away after moving on from that. It could take some trial and error. She also said they were naive to think they could change coaches (Luthi) before a Slam and expect good results … it was too much adjustment. They’d had a great offseason with him and thought it might work out, but practice and Grand Slam matches are too different, too hard to gauge that way. But they were encouraged by the early results, when he played well in UTS in London and finaled Brisbane, because he had lost first round in Adelaide two years in a row. But at the AO, he was flat against Cazeaux, who played a great match.

With Boris, it sounds like they clicked personally and that is important to Rune, so they signed up with him even though they knew he wouldn’t be available very much. And ultimately they changed their mind. Same with Luthi - he wasn't going to work with Holger again just til late March. They decided that was too long to go between sessions, after the AO.

Anyway, it’s easy to judge but the guy is 20 and has had great success. Changing teams isn't a science. Sounds like Mouratoglou might be coming back.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote:Becker's reason for leaving sounds suspect to me. I'm guessing there's got to be some sort of conflict happening for both coaches to jump ship.
Not necessarily. Could be scheduling.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:28 am Pegula is at her Witt’s end. Sorry.::: they split.

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/je ... david-witt

So who will she pick? Saban or Carroll? Belichick?

:lol:

I wonder if he would work with Cori considering the two women are friendly.
Then again Raducanu could ask him questions for a week or two before firing him because he doesn't know as much as she does...
Haha. :)

Coco doesn’t need a coach. :) I bet they wouldn’t let the friendship get in the way of a potential coaching relationship, though.

skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:13 pm
skatingfan wrote:Things must be really bad if they're jumping ship this quickly - this seems like a Tsitsipas situation - we'll see whether Rune can cut the apron strings, because Tsitsipas never has, because otherwise he's done.
I just edited the Shapiro podcast with Aneke Rune. It’s out - I recommend a listen.

She seems wise, normal and like a good tennis parent, not a controlling one. She explained that last year was necessary for Holger from a maturity standpoint. She said he has had the same coach since he was 6 and it is normal to not find the perfect scenario right away after moving on from that. It could take some trial and error. She also said they were naive to think they could change coaches (Luthi) before a Slam and expect good results … it was too much adjustment. They’d had a great offseason with him and thought it might work out, but practice and Grand Slam matches are too different, too hard to gauge that way. But they were encouraged by the early results, when he played well in UTS in London and finaled Brisbane, because he had lost first round in Adelaide two years in a row. But at the AO, he was flat against Cazeaux, who played a great match.

With Boris, it sounds like they clicked personally and that is important to Rune, so they signed up with him even though they knew he wouldn’t be available very much. And ultimately they changed their mind. Same with Luthi - he wasn't going to work with Holger again just til late March. They decided that was too long to go between sessions, after the AO.

Anyway, it’s easy to judge but the guy is 20 and has had great success. Changing teams isn't a science. Sounds like Mouratoglou might be coming back.
Yeah, I was in a bit of a mood about things going on in skating, and was probably too harsh on the Rune's situation. I will look for that podcast.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thanks for this Megan.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sakkari has split from her coach Tom Hill after 6 years...she definitely needs a change...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She needs to stop training as hard physically and train on bringing more variety to her game. Her conditioning is off the charts. Her tennis has stalled in the last three years.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:45 pm She needs to stop training as hard physically and train on bringing more variety to her game. Her conditioning is off the charts. Her tennis has stalled in the last three years.
yes, completely agree. But it isnt so easy to add variety, going to the gym is easier! Maybe this is her limit.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »