The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Our main board to talk about our sport
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: The Tennis Coaching Merry Go Round

Post by ti-amie »

skatingfan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:33 pm Is mom still going to be involved?
When I saw her in the picture all I could do is shake my head.

We've got Raducanu who knows better than any coach on the planet and Rune's mother who seems to think dueling coaches will work best for her son. I don't know anything about Luthi's personality but we all know Boris. This will be an interesting experiment.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:03 am When I saw her in the picture all I could do is shake my head.

We've got Raducanu who knows better than any coach on the planet and Rune's mother who seems to think dueling coaches will work best for her son. I don't know anything about Luthi's personality but we all know Boris. This will be an interesting experiment.
Luthi has never worked with anyone else other than Federer, and unofficially with Wawrinka because he was Switzerland's Davis Cup Captain. I wonder how it will work with a player who he hasn't known for decades, and also manage the personalities of Becker, and the mother.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I think she will remain his punching bag.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:23 pm
I think she will remain his punching bag.
I don't think this woman is anybody's punching bag. Sure, he yells at her; but I don't think he has the reins...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I didn't think Ferreira was a good fit for Tiafoe or even a good coach at all...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

What about the results? Wayne was there to make him reach his highest ranking. That should count for something, at least.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I guess only Tiafoe knows who is good for him and who is not ..I will leave it at that

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Yibing Wu Continues Trend Of Working With Two Coaches After Appointing Wayne Ferreira

by Nurein Ahmed

Yibing Wu has named former ATP No. 6 Wayne Ferreira his new coach, but the retired South African star will not work alone.

The idea of working with two coaches has become a norm on the ATP Tour, with several established stars having at least two tennis coaches within their camps, outside of their hitting partners and physiotherapists.

Some ATP players in a dual partnership include Jannik Sinner, who works with Simone Vagnozzi and Darren Cahill. The pair won the men's tour's 2023 Coach of the Year award.

Greece's Stefanos Tsitsipas simultaneously worked with his father, Apostolos, and former Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis, but that alliance was short-lived. World No. 2 Carlos Alcaraz works with Juan Carlos Ferrero and Samuel Lopez.

The presence of two coaches helps with delegating day-to-day work and filling in for the other in their absence. For instance, Ferrero is set to miss the Australian Open next month to focus on his recovery from a knee operation, leaving all coaching responsibility to Lopez when he travels with Alcaraz in the first quarter of 2024.

Holger Rune appears to have jumped on that bandwagon, too. Having tied Boris Becker to a long-term contract, the Dane recently brought on board one of Roger Federer's longtime coaches, Severin Luthi, for the upcoming season.

Yibing Wu, who became China's first ATP titlist last February when he won the Dallas Open in dramatic circumstances, has been working with Marcos Baghdatis, also a former ATP pro, since March 2023.

The addition of Wayne Ferreira is certainly a significant boost for Yibing Wu's preparations for the upcoming season. Ferreira won 15 titles during his playing career, which spanned 16 years. He achieved his best Grand Slam result at the Australian Open, where he was a two-time semifinalist.

Until his appointment in this latest role, the South African coached USA's Frances Tiafoe since 2020 but decided to go their separate ways this month. Their partnership lasted three years, and Ferreira takes massive acclaim for steering Tiafoe to a previous best ranking of World No. 10.

Under Ferreira's tutelage, the flamboyant Tiafoe reached a maiden Grand Slam semifinal at the 2022 US Open. He remains eternally grateful for his work, developing him into the player he is today.

https://tennis-infinity.com/atp/yibing- ... e-ferreira
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/ma ... -interview

Bouzkova signs up Conchita..she is quite different from Muguruza so let us see...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Conchita was quite different from Mugu, so I say this can be a good coaching relationship. But, as you say, let us see.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Andy had one of the fastest serves in the sport. A completely obvious understatement. But was he a great server? I never felt he mixed it well enough, and he lacked a bit of variety for my taste.
Can he teach mechanics? Sure. But I wonder if he could teach placement. After all, he did not need it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:10 pm Andy had one of the fastest serves in the sport. A completely obvious understatement. But was he a great server? I never felt he mixed it well enough, and he lacked a bit of variety for my taste.
Can he teach mechanics? Sure. But I wonder if he could teach placement. After all, he did not need it.
I think Cori needed/needs to have better mechanics on her serve. As you say Roddick would be able to teach her that.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:11 am
My friend was on the court next to them in Charlotte and told me they were working on her serve. They were in a big tennis club. Nice place but not behind closed doors or anything.