by ti-amie The Jan. 6 Hearing Put a True-Crime Drama on Prime-Time TV
The first night of the Jan. 6 hearings was serious public service, but it told an engrossing story with the tools of a limited series drama.

Representatives Bennie Thompson, Democrat of Mississippi, and Liz Cheney, Republican of Wyoming, led the first hearing on the Jan. 6, 2021, attack, which was packaged like a prime-time news special.Credit...Doug Mills/The New York Times

By James Poniewozik
June 10, 2022

The first night of the congressional Jan. 6 hearings was not an entertainment. It was deadly serious reality, offering a panorama and a terrifying close-up of a real nightmare: The attempt, through violence, to effectively end American democracy by overturning the will of the voters and keeping President Donald J. Trump installed in an office that he lost.

But the hearings were also television, fighting for attention in a cacophonous media environment. This is not just me speaking as a TV critic. The committee itself acknowledged this by bringing on James Goldston, a former ABC News president and producer, to shape the broadcast, and by airing it, unusually, in prime time.

This was not simply a dutiful time capsule for the historical archives. This was TV meant to break through, and to matter, now.

What we saw in this first installment was impressive: a well-crafted, passionate and disciplined two-hour opening act. It made the committee’s case in miniature, that the attack on the Capitol was no spontaneous outburst but rather the “culmination of an attempted coup,” in the words of the committee chairman, Representative Bennie Thompson, Democrat of Mississippi. And it promised, tantalizingly, to flesh out the larger plot with fine detail and an expansive cast.

The proceedings had familiar hallmarks, including live testimony and opening remarks from Mr. Thompson and from the vice chairwoman, Representative Liz Cheney, Republican of Wyoming. But it was packaged like a prime-time news special, the live elements seamlessly interspersed with recorded interview excerpts, time stamps and graphics.

Even more striking, however, was the broadcast’s structure, which recalled 2022’s most ubiquitous TV format: The true-crime and true-scandal limited series.

Like “Under the Banner of Heaven,” “Candy” and similar ripped-from-the-headlines dramas, it introduced the culminating violent act in its first episode — the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol — in a point-of-view montage that made the viewer the target of the mob’s blows and curses. Then it promised to move back in the timeline and delve into the larger conditions and machinations behind the crimes.

It had both episodic structure and a serial arc. Ms. Cheney laid out how each installment would focus on a piece of a “seven-point plan” by Mr. Trump. But the presentation also put these parts in an overall context, giving evidence that Mr. Trump was told by his closest advisers that he lost, schemed to throw out the election anyway and summoned supporters, including organized, violent groups, for a “wild” day in Washington.

Then the muscle materialized, under the banner of Trump.

At compact length by congressional standards, the hearing introduced a universe of characters, relationships and antagonists: the president’s advisers, including the former Attorney General William P. Barr, who used “nonsense” and stronger language to dismiss claims of election fraud; Mr. Trump’s fury at his vice president, Mike Pence, which according to the committee led the former president to say that the mob members threatening to hang Mr. Pence might “have the right idea”; and the Trump-supporting groups, including the Proud Boys, described as leading a coordinated strike, not a spontaneous outburst.

The curtain raiser was at times brutal to watch, particularly the testimony of Caroline Edwards, a Capitol Police officer injured on Jan. 6, who described “slipping in people’s blood” as she and her outnumbered comrades faced hours of hand-to-hand combat. Maybe most haunting was seeing the quiet-spoken Ms. Edwards watch video of her own assault.

The testimony moved to the other side of the battle line with the documentarian Nick Quested, who had been embedded with the Proud Boys before and during the attack. His contribution was not just more shocking footage but a thesis: that the group had organized and begun its move toward the Capitol before Mr. Trump even spoke at his Jan. 6 rally — a counternarrative to the idea that the siege was simply a protest that got out of hand.

I know that some readers are offended by the mere use of “narrative” or “story” to describe crucial information about an attack on democracy. But these are no insults; story structure is not just for Marvel movies. Narrative is what gives a deluge of information form and pattern. Storytelling is a tool for engagement, not just distraction.

During the hearing, live elements were interspersed with graphic footage, recorded interview excerpts, time stamps and graphics.Credit...Doug Mills/The New York Times

The committee clearly knows this. As Jake Tapper noted on CNN before the hearing, it did not have to televise these sessions at all. It could have just issued a report. But as TV has proved, not everyone wants the 800-page paperback when they can opt for the compelling multipart adaptation. (At least 20 million people watched the hearing, according to ratings from Nielsen.)

And if you want to know the power of applying the lessons of entertainment TV to politics, look at Fox News, which did not air the hearings but spent the evening actively attacking them. Roger Ailes, a former talk-show producer, built Fox in part on showbiz production values, provocation and appeals to emotion. The current star of that channel, the authoritarian-friendly Tucker Carlson, was telling his sizable audience that the bloody assault on the center of government was “forgettably minor.”

The Jan. 6 hearings have to live in this context of infotainment and demagoguery, like it or not. And the first episode was savvy not only about the larger TV audience but also about a smaller one — the news media — and what it takes to maximize coverage.

Nothing draws the news like novelty; a brief scooplet, freshly exposed, will often outweigh a brazen plot freely confessed from a presidential podium or by tweet. So the committee repeatedly referenced “never-before-seen” video, a descriptor that was repeated over and over in the TV coverage.

The program offered preview clips of boldface-name testimony — including that of Ivanka Trump, undermining her father’s claims by saying that she accepted Mr. Barr’s assessment — which gave reporters numerous tidbits to write up and tweet about. Even the run time, at just under two hours, left time for recap and analysis before the broadcast networks’ 10 p.m. block.

There was, however, a key difference between this production and a TV crime drama. The hearings left no mystery about their theory of the case, and they engaged in no coyness about whodunit (in the committee’s judgment), how and why.

One last distinction, and maybe the most important: This, for once, was a true-crime serial made in the urgent hope that there not be a sequel.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/10/arts ... -time.html

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

https://terikanefield.substack.com/p/pr ... roving?s=w

She made it available for all to read. Cut and paste not available.

by ti-amie
This hit hard.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Lots of video because today's testimony deserves it.

by ti-amie Retired Judge Luttig's final remarks. The video is embedded at the URL below.

'Clear and present danger to American democracy': Jan. 6 testimony warns of efforts to subvert 2024 election
Thu, June 16, 2022, 4:41 PM

In his closing remarks to the Jan. 6 House select committee on Thursday, retired federal judge J. Michael Luttig testified that he believed former President Trump and his supporters represented, "a clear and present danger to American democracy" due to continued efforts to erode confidence in election security. Luttig added, "The former president and his allies are executing that blueprint for 2024 in open and plain view of the American public."

https://news.yahoo.com/clear-present-da ... 41306.html

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie The internet.

by ti-amie

When TFG put out a false statement saying he and his VP were on the same page about sending the electoral results back to the states that would've been a nice time for Pence to speak up. He did the right thing in the end but would January 6 have happened if he had spoken out back then?

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:51 pm

When TFG put out a false statement saying he and his VP were on the same page about sending the electoral results back to the states that would've been a nice time for Pence to speak up. He did the right thing in the end but would January 6 have happened if he had spoken out back then?
It's the thing that puzzles me the most. What did or does Tiny do that simply stops so many people from speaking up at the right moment? Why are they in line with the Tiny first, GOP second, Country third narrative?

by ti-amie From @judgeluttig

Thank you so much for this thread, Mr. Hagan, @joehagansays. You almost presciently understood precisely what I was at least attempting to do to the best of my abilities during the hearing Thursday.

What you could not know, and did not know, but I will tell you now, is that I believed I had an obligation to the Select Committee and to the country, first to formulate . . . then to measure . . . and then . . . to meter out . . .

every . . . single . . . word . . . that I spoke . . . , carefully . . . exactingly . . . and . . . deliberately, so that the words I spoke were pristine clear and would be heard, and therefore understood, as such.

I believed Thursday that I had that high responsibility and obligation -- to myself, even if to no other. Also please bear in mind that Thursday was the first time in 68 years, to my knowledge, I had ever been on national television, let alone national television like that.

And though not scared, I was concerned that I do my very best and not embarrass myself, as I think anyone who found themselves in that frightening circumstance would be.

I decided to respond to your at once astute and understanding tweet finally this afternoon, because I have been watching the tweets all day suggesting that I am recovering from a severe stroke, and my friends, out of their concern for me and my family,

have been earnestly forwarding me these tweets, asking me if I am alright. Such is social media, I understand. But I profoundly believe in social media's foundational, in fact revolutionary, value and contribution to Free Speech in our country,

and for that reason I willingly accept the occasional bad that comes from social media, in return for the much more frequent good that comes from it -- at least from the vastly more responsible, respectful speech on those media.

That is why, 16 years after my retirement from the Bench, even then as a very skeptical, curmudgeonly old federal judge, I created a Facebook account and then a Twitter account -- slowly . . . very slowly . . . one account first . . . and then . . . followed . . . by the other.

All of this said, I am not recovering from a stroke or any other malady, I promise. Thankfully, I have never been as sick or as so debilitated as that ever in my life, and would not want that for anyone. Knock on wood, I have never even been really sick a day in my life.

I was more ready, prepared and intellectually focused (I had thought) during Thursday's hearing than I have ever been for anything in my life. I gather my face appeared "too red" for some on Twitter, betraying to them serious illness. The explanation was more innocent than that.

At the last minute, I had been able during the weekend preceding my testimony to help my daughter get settled into her new home, where the temperatures were in the upper 90s, and where I was appreciatively, though unwittingly, to get just a little bit of needed suntan!

What I will say, though, is this. And I think it explains it all. All my life, I have said (as to myself, and at times, by way of sarcastic prescription for others) that I never . . . talk . . . any . . . faster . . . than . . . my . . . mind . . . can . . . think.

I will proudly assure everyone on Twitter that I was riveted, laser-like as never before, on that promise to myself beginning promptly at the hour of 1:00 pm Thursday afternoon.

What is more, as consciously as one can be aware of something subconsciously, I was, in your poetic words of which I was, and am myself, incapable even of conjuring, Mr. Hagan, supremely conscious that,

if I were chiseling words in stone that day, it was imperative that I chisel the exact words that I would want to be chiseled in stone, were I chiseling words in stone for history.

So, in all sincerity, thank you, all of you on Twitter, who are genuinely concerned about me. I can assure you that on last Thursday, June 16, I had never felt, or been, better in my life. And now, two days later, I feel better, still!

For better or worse, I was as compos mentis as I have ever been last Thursday, June 16, 2022. But please keep checking on me from time to time! You just never know these days! Thank you, everyone! You're the best!

via @threadreaderapp

by ti-amie

Sorry for the self promo at the end.

by ponchi101 If the USA tries Tiny, it will be the litmus test for the country. You know that at least the same people that think the election was stolen will not believe it when he is found guilty. But if you don't try him, he gets carte blanche for absolutely anything in 2024.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Lawmakers on Jan. 6 committee ramp up their security as threats increase
By Amy Gardner, Josh Dawsey and Jacqueline Alemany
June 22, 2022 at 12:13 p.m. EDT

Vice Chairwoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) and Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) and other members of the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol meet in a private room before a Tuesday hearing to reveal its findings. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)

In the past 24 hours, there has been an uptick in the number of violent threats against lawmakers on the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, and all lawmakers on the committee are likely to receive a security detail, according to three people involved with the investigation.

The committee on Tuesday held its fourth hearing, which focused on efforts by former president Donald Trump and his allies to overturn the results of the 2020 election and the resulting political violence and harassment experienced by many of those who resisted.

Over the weekend, Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) revealed a letter addressed to his wife that threatened to execute them and their 5-month-old baby. He warned that the political violence of Jan. 6, 2021 was not an aberration but a consequence of his party’s repeated lies.

“There is violence in the future, I’m going to tell you,” Kinzinger said on ABC’s “This Week” program. “And until we get a grip on telling people the truth, we can’t expect any differently.”

Committee Vice Chairwoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) has been flanked with a security detail since last year, and has been unable to hold large, publicized campaign events, in part due to security concerns, according to aides.

During Trump’s second impeachment trial, which was held shortly after the insurrection, security details were provided to all nine impeachment managers.

“For safety reasons, the USCP does not discuss potential security measures for Members,” a spokesperson for the United States Capitol Police said in a statement.

Tuesday’s hearing featured some of the most emotional testimony so far, including appearances from mother-and-daughter election workers in Georgia, Ruby Freeman and Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss, who described the consequences of being targeted by the former president and his allies.

“It’s turned my life upside down,” said Moss. “I don’t want anyone knowing my name. I don’t want to go anywhere with my mom because she might yell my name out over the grocery aisle or something. I don’t go to the grocery store at all. I haven’t been anywhere at all. … I second-guess everything I do. It’s affected my life in a major way — in every way. All because of lies, for me doing my job, the same thing I’ve been doing forever.”

The remaining hearings are likely to focus even more on the culture of political violence on the right. Reps. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) and Stephanie Murphy (D-Fla.) are set to co-lead a hearing that explores the path to extremism that spurred insurrectionists to attack the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... y-threats/

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Jan. 6 committee to hold hearing Tuesday on ‘recently obtained evidence’

Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) and Vice Chairwoman Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) appear at a House Jan. 6 committee meeting on Capitol Hill in Washington on June 21. (Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)

By John Wagner and Mariana Alfaro
Updated June 27, 2022 at 2:41 p.m. EDT|Published June 27, 2022 at 7:22 a.m. EDT

Today, the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, unexpectedly announced a hearing for Tuesday afternoon, its sixth this month. In a statement, the bipartisan panel said it would “present recently obtained evidence and receive witness testimony.” More details are expected later.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

This man was a four star general. My mouth is still on the floor.

by ti-amie

by dryrunguy There's apparently a NY Times article with this as a teaser. It's behind a paywall, so I don't have the full text.

::

Cassidy Hutchinson, a former aide to Mark Meadows, testified to the Jan. 6 committee that Donald Trump insisted his rally that day allow armed protesters. She said that he tried to wrest the wheel of the presidential vehicle away from his Secret Service agent so he could join the mob at the Capitol.

::

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 About Flynn. This was about the same thing that happened in Venezuela. We ended up finding out, when Chavez proceeded with his shenanigans, how many of our generals and top military brass were NOT there to defend the nation, but to simply cover their asses and follow the lead. How deeply undemocratic and treasonous they could be.
I guess the USA was not immune to that.

by ti-amie Mags are metal detectors.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Flynn's response is still the most shocking thing I heard today.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie The MAGA crowd is very, very upset about the possible assault of an agent by TFG.

TFG wanting to lead an armed group of his followers into the Capitol, some with assault weapons and makeshift bayonets? Meh.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 I know you need to build the case properly. But at this pace, Congress will be in the hands of the GOP next January and all this will be buried. And you know what happens in January 2025.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

Is what Ornato did here legal? I mean we are talking about TFG so the interpretation of legal is fluid but wow. Was he being paid from that quarter billion slush fund TFG's groupies paid into?

by ti-amie

The video was shown on MSNBC and other outlets yesterday.

by ti-amie Found it.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

Pasquale Anthony (Pat) Cippolone is a member of the right wing Catholic group Opus Dei I believe.

Spouse(s) Rebecca Thelen
Children 10
Education Fordham University (BA)
University of Chicago (JD)

by ponchi101 Bill Barr is also a member of the Opus Dei.
I know them well. My catholic indoctrination was attempted by them. Part of their stated goals is that civil societies MUST follow religious/catholic processes and, of course, there must be no separation of state AND THE OPUS DEI. They are very strong in Spain and most S. American countries.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Trump called member of White House support staff amid Jan. 6 probe
The phone call was disclosed by committee Vice Chair Liz Cheney, who said the matter had been referred to the Justice Department
By Jacqueline Alemany and Josh Dawsey
July 14, 2022 at 6:52 p.m. EDT

Former president Donald Trump attempted to call a member of the White House support staff who has been in talks with the House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection, according to people with knowledge of the attempt at contact.

Trump’s call was to a member of his support staff who worked with former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson in some capacity and can corroborate aspects of her testimony, according to these people, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive matters. The attempt at contact was considered unusual because this staffer had not spoken with the former president for some time.

The call from Trump to the staffer, who is still in public service, was revealed Tuesday by committee Vice Chair Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) at the end of the committee’s seventh hearing.

“After our last hearing, President Trump tried to call a witness in our investigation,” Cheney said. “A witness you have not yet seen in these hearings. That person declined to answer or respond to President Trump’s call and instead alerted their lawyer to the call.”

“Their lawyer alerted us and this committee has supplied that information to the Department of Justice,” Cheney added, without identifying the witness.

CNN first reported the role of the staffer. A Trump spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Chairman Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) told reporters on Wednesday that the Justice Department must determine whether Trump’s call amounts to witness tampering. It is illegal to try to interfere with a witness’s testimony through either threats or promised rewards. Thompson said the committee would not reveal the person’s name.

“You know, we are concerned, obviously, about the witness. And we’re not going to put that witness in unnecessary jeopardy,” Thompson said.

Hutchinson offered bombshell revelations during her testimony, including that she was in the White House on Dec. 1, 2020, when a valet pointed her to “ketchup dripping down the wall” and a “shattered porcelain plate on the floor” of the dining room.

She said the valet told her that the president was “extremely angry … and had thrown his lunch.” The incident followed an interview then-Attorney General William P. Barr gave to the Associated Press in which he said the Justice Department had seen no evidence of systematic voter fraud.

Hutchinson also recounted a senior White House official telling her about a struggle between Trump and his Secret Service detail over whether he would be taken to the Capitol after his speech to protesters at the Ellipse on Jan. 6, 2021. And she testified that Trump had urged his supporters to march to the Capitol despite knowing some had come armed with weapons.

After Hutchinson’s public testimony on June 28, Cheney referenced two phone calls received by a witness — later revealed to be Hutchinson — that Cheney said raised “significant concern.”

“What they said to me is, as long as I continue to be a team player, they know I’m on the right team. I’m doing the right thing. I’m protecting who I need to protect. You know, I’ll continue to stay in good graces in Trump World,” Cheney, the committee’s vice chair, said the witness reported.

Trump has regularly called witnesses involved in the investigation, including former White House officials and campaign advisers, and has complained about the committee to a number of these people, said two people who have heard his comments.

In recent days, his advisers have tried to defend that practice, saying many of the people ensnarled in the investigation are also critical members of his political orbit.

Trump is a prolific worker of the telephone, sometimes making 50 to 100 calls a day in the White House, former administration officials said. He often used multiple cellphones, going around White House protocols and gatekeepers who would have preferred the calls come through a secure switchboard.

At one point, Trump asked an aide to buy him a cellphone because then-Chief of Staff John F. Kelly was trying to monitor his calls, former administration officials said.

The committee has continued to conduct its investigation behind closed doors, even as it prepares for a public hearing next Thursday that will focus on the 187 minutes in which a pro-Trump mob attacked the U.S. Capitol before Trump released a video calling on the rioters to go home.

Former Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne is expected to meet Friday with investigators. Byrne was present at the Dec. 18, 2020, meeting at the White House where Michael Flynn, Trump’s former national security adviser, and Sidney Powell, a pro-Trump lawyer, pushed Trump to seize voting machines and appoint Powell as a special counsel to assist his efforts to overturn the election results.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), a member of the committee, has reiterated his interest in seeking an interview with former vice president Mike Pence and Trump. He told the Wall Street Journal in an interview that the panel could ultimately decide to try to compel Pence to testify by issuing the former vice president a subpoena.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... p_politics

by dryrunguy That man is his own worst enemy. And still, nothing sticks to him.

by ti-amie

by patrick
dryrunguy wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:51 pm That man is his own worst enemy. And still, nothing sticks to him.
He will sue and paperwork will hang in the legal system for years until he leave Earth. Surprised that he haven’t found a way to leave Earth with all of the trips made from Earth done by Branson and Musk

by ponchi101 It says a lot about the American legal system.
Isn't there some sort of saying along the lines of "Justice delayed is no justice"? Precisely what he does. This committee will take so long that it will be still debating on whether to subpoena people by January 2025, by which time he will be returning to the WH. And then, his AG and other minions will fix everything.
And no justice will ever be made.

by ti-amie

by patrick Back to prime time they go

by ti-amie

January 6th Committee @January6thCmte

The procedure for preserving content prior to this purge appears to have been contrary to federal records retention requirements and may represent a possible violation of the Federal Records Act.

The Select Committee is seeking additional Secret Service records as well.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 I learned that when I was about 17. Under every bully, there is a coward. You just have to punch them once.

by ti-amie A lot happened during and after the hearings last night.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

This is who the Tweeter is. I don't think his network showed the hearings.
FOX Sports EVP / Head of Strategy. Data provided by Nielsen Media Research except as noted. All opinions my own. Bad horse racing picks also sadly my own.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 How close did you come to being the USSRA?

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:17 pm How close did you come to being the USSRA?
The clips showing Pelosi, Schumer, Scalise, et al visibly shaken and fearing for their lives was the most chilling thing I've seen in a very long time. As one talking head put it after the hearing ended not one lawmaker uttered TFG's name - he was completely out of the chain of command at that point. The Speaker of the House talking to the governor of a state and that governor accepting her leadership. Amazing video.

There might be some overlap between the two clips but they start at different places.

How close did we come? Too close for comfort.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 What will happen to her? She will lose re-election, and she certainly cannot become a democrat. Will she have to fade away and be an oddity, the republican with principles?

by Owendonovan
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:55 am What will happen to her? She will lose re-election, and she certainly cannot become a democrat. Will she have to fade away and be an oddity, the republican with principles?
She's going to run for president. I'd kinda enjoy her sharing the debate stage with Florida's governor, the orange buffoon, and Uncle Clarence's keeper, Ginni.

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:55 am What will happen to her? She will lose re-election, and she certainly cannot become a democrat. Will she have to fade away and be an oddity, the republican with principles?
She already lost in the primary so she is not running for re-election.

by ti-amie I am still marveling at how for a period of time on January 6 Nancy Pelosi was running the country with Chuck Schumer and Mike Pence. In heels. In her 80's. I think that is the reason this video clip has resonated with so many. The more you realize how dire the situation was, and how that small group of people (even Pence) just took over the chain of command of the US government.

Amazing.

by ti-amie I don't think I would ever vote for Liz Cheney for anything, she is so conservative. But she is the type of conservative who understands that the oaths you take to "support and defend the United States" are not just lines from an off Broadway play. I respect and admire her for what she's done with the J6 committee.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Nancy eating a Slim Jim - priceless

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:55 pm I don't think I would ever vote for Liz Cheney for anything, she is so conservative. But she is the type of conservative who understands that the oaths you take to "support and defend the United States" are not just lines from an off Broadway play. I respect and admire her for what she's done with the J6 committee.
Which is where your country should be. You can disagree with Liz Cheney, and you can be sure that you would never vote for her. But you can still respect her when she shows integrity.
That is the part of the equation that the rest of the GOP can't figure out (maybe Romney and Kipsinger (I can't ever remember his real last name).)

by ti-amie

I wonder if there will be another televised hearing before things change in the House?

by patrick Committee needs to finish before McCarthy request that they be disbanned from invesgating Jan 6th.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Judd Legum @juddlegum@journa.host
Four criminal referrals of Trump by the January 6 committee to the DOJ:

1. Obstruction of an official proceeding

2. Conspiracy to defraud the United States

3. Conspiracy to make a false statement

4 “Incite,” “Assist” or “Aird or comfort” an Insurrection

Jennifer Taub
@jentaub@mstdn.social
💥Boom! Criminal referrals of Donald Trump. Love that the former law professor walks through the statutes

18 USC § 1512(c) (obstruction)
18 USC § 371 (defraud clause)
18 USC § 1001 (false statements)
18 USC § 2383 (insurrection)

by ti-amie Pwnallthethings
@Pwnallthethings@mastodon.social
The referrals go to DOJ, who can either open a new case, add them to existing cases (or reject them), with a view to bringing an eventual indictment and prosecution if, in their view, the evidence is likely to lead to a guilty verdict.

The insurrection case is separately interesting: it is a plausible 14A Section 3 hook for barring DJT from office directly; the exact requirements for invoking it aren't clear, and will prob be litigated based on this referral whether or not an indictment occurs

https://mastodon.social/@Pwnallthething ... 1437363252

by ti-amie Judd Legum
@juddlegum@journa.host
January 6 committee referring four House members to the Ethics Committee for failing to comply with Congressional subpoenas:

1. Kevin McCarthy
2. Jim Jordan
3. Scott Perry
4. Rep Andy Biggs

https://journa.host/@juddlegum/109541938640753139

by ponchi101
ti-amie wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:32 pm Judd Legum
@juddlegum@journa.host
January 6 committee referring four House members to the Ethics Committee for failing to comply with Congressional subpoenas:

1. Kevin McCarthy

2. Jim Jordan
3. Scott Perry
4. Rep Andy Biggs

https://journa.host/@juddlegum/109541938640753139
Monty Python could not write something as absurd as this. The current congress is referring THE INCOMING MAJORITY LEADER, to the ethics committee.
Totally surreal. :rofl:

by ti-amie

by ti-amie It's 163 pages long. If i find a summary I'll delete this and post it here.

Read the summary of the Jan. 6 committee report

By Aaron Blake
December 19, 2022 at 2:29 p.m. EST

The House select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol has issued the first part of its final report — the culmination of the committee’s investigation over more than a year and half, including more than 1,000 interviews.

The full report, consisting of eight chapters, will be released later this week. The committee also plans to share video summaries of the evidence they’ve gathered.

This first section provides an overview of the committee’s findings about Donald Trump and his allies’ multipronged efforts to overturn the 2020 election results. It also outlines the committee’s reasons for making criminal referrals to the Justice Department for Trump and others.

You can read it here:

Introductory Material to the Final Report of the Select Committee

https://docs-cdn-prod.news-engineering. ... 477cf4.pdf

by ti-amie

by ti-amie Who's gonna tell him?

by dryrunguy And nothing will come of it.

by skatingfan
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:49 am And nothing will come of it.
We'll see what sort of retribution the new Republican lead House of Representatives deals out in the new year.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

Meanwhile...

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

It's 835 pages. I'm sure there will be summaries issued with bullet points.

by ti-amie These are really interesting, especially the ones detailing who took the 5th and why.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 It's going to be along and miserable weekend for a lot of assistant-journalists.
I would not want to work for CNN, MSNBC, BBC or any other serious organization.
(FOX already has all the lies lines up, so they can sleep tonight...)

by ti-amie

by ti-amie More from the J6 Committee transcripts

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

This is why all of the transcripts and other material has been released to the public.