4. Denis Shapovalov v Arthur Rinderknech

COURT 17 - 11:00AM

1. Oceane Dodin v Jelena Ostapenko
2. Maryna Zanevska v Barbora Krejcikova
3. Holger Rune v Marcos Giron
4. Liam Broady v Lukas Klein
Not Before: 5:00pm
5. Donna Vekic v Jessica Pegula

The Committee, while adhering as closely as possible to the order of play given, is unable to guarantee that it will be maintained in its entirety.
This may result in matches being moved from one court to another. GERRY ARMSTRONG - R

by meganfernandez Berrettini out with COVID. Ymer takes his place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Suliso Oh no, that's a huge loss in the draw.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:30 am Oh no, that's a huge loss in the draw.
And a huge gain for Diego Schwartzman or Jack Draper. That R4 section is a ghost town now.

by Suliso I'd take de Minaur, but that's more of a wild guess.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:55 am I'd take de Minaur, but that's more of a wild guess.
He kicked me out of the French SP. All yours. :) Draper with that serve... good chance.

One of these guys is getting to the Fourth Round. Three qualifiers, two wild cards, and a lucky loser. Didn't realize how easy Berrettini's draw was. QF was Tsitsipas, too.

SWE E. YMER vs CHI C. GARIN
SUI M. HUESLER Q vs FRA H. GRENIER LL
CZE Z. KOLAR LL vs FRA B. BONZI
KAZ M. KUKUSHKIN Q vs USA J. BROOKSBY 29

AUS A. DE MINAUR 19 vs BOL H. DELLIEN
BEL Z. BERGS WC vs GBR J. DRAPER
GBR L. BROADY WC vs SVK L. KLEIN Q
CRO B. CORIC vs ARG D. SCHWARTZMAN 12

by JTContinental Dimitrov tweaked his thigh coming down hard on a landing, and doesn't look like he'll be around much longer either.

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco Gauff has taken the court for her first match of the tournament.

by patrick At the moment, Gauff is struggling. Only reason she is not down a double break is Ruse is struggling with her serves.

by Cuckoo4Coco Gauff is a bit inconsistent right now. She is either making huge mistakes or hitting a great shot. I think she will settle in.

by ponchi101
JTContinental wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am Dimitrov tweaked his thigh coming down hard on a landing, and doesn't look like he'll be around much longer either.
More points for my theory that grass is becoming the most dangerous surface. Yesterday it was Osorio that fell and retired. Now Dimitrov. Have I missed somebody else?

by Suliso Gauff struggling this much against nobody in particular is a surprise. Overall I think she's bound to have a small slump after the great result at RG. Most players of her age and experience level do.

by ponchi101 Checking scores and after our entertaining conversation of who would win between Belinda or Beatriz, both out on day 1.
---0---
Agree that Coco could have a slump, but who is Ruse? First time I hear of her.
---0---
Iga doing her thing. She got her first 6-0 already. Now the other two sets may be contested but good start.
(I know, stating the obvious...)

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco breaks in the 2nd set. If she can pull out this 2nd set I think she will be OK.

by Suliso I also think Coco will win this particular match.

by ashkor87 Bencic is out! Wonder what happened..injury still bothering her?

by Cuckoo4Coco Gauff takes set #2 and she seems zoned in on her serve winning the last two at love.

by ponchi101 Maybe just a case of first set jitters, getting used to the surroundings. Looks very much in control. Same as Fett in CC. Obviously has never played there, never against a #1, got blanked in the first. Much more competitive now (she is really attacking Iga's second serve).

by ponchi101 They just showed Nadal's and Cerundolo's entourage coming into the AELTC. Fully packed entrance, nobody wearing a mask, everybody crammed.
Maybe they have not heard of Berrettini.

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco breaks early in the 3rd set.

by Suliso #36 has been secured by Iga. Equal to the best win streak by Seles. Hingis at 37 is next.

by Cuckoo4Coco Gauff broken back. We are back on serve in the 3rd set.

by JazzNU Very nice to see Yanina Wickmayer making her way back on tour and climbing the rankings steadily. She really looks to be in good form. I hope she's given a few wild cards this summer, main draw or qualifying, so she doesn't have to play so many ITF events.

by Cuckoo4Coco Coco sure had her chances in that last game to break, but couldn't get it done. Now she has to hold her serve to stay in the match.

Gauff finally breaks Ruse after missing so many chances, but not in the way that really anyone would have wanted it. Ruse double faults on break point. Coco to serve for the match.

by ponchi101 Opelka giving a statement that grass is no longer for servers. That grass has become too slow. Looking at Rafa and Cerundolo, yes, this is no longer the court of the 1980's.

by Cuckoo4Coco Ruse has nothing to be ashamed of in this match against Coco Gauff. Coco moves on in a very tough fought 3 setter.

by ponchi101 You must have suffered that match all through. Anyway, she is through, which is all she wanted. Now, look at the tape, and work out what happened.
And, Kyrgios, a much more natural grass court player, was also stretched to the limit. Grass is like that.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:47 pm You must have suffered that match all through. Anyway, she is through, which is all she wanted. Now, look at the tape, and work out what happened.
And, Kyrgios, a much more natural grass court player, was also stretched to the limit. Grass is like that.
I did suffer through that match. :lol: I said a few come ons to Coco for sure.

I was also sweating out the Kyrgios match because he was the player I picked in the Suicide game.

Now it is time to go and relax and hit and practice myself on the court.

by ponchi101 ESPN stat. Feliciano has just become the first player ever to have played at least 20 times at each GS.
I say that record will stand forever.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:40 pm Opelka giving a statement that grass is no longer for servers. That grass has become too slow. Looking at Rafa and Cerundolo, yes, this is no longer the court of the 1980's.
Not saying that's not somewhat truthful, but I also think he's just making excuses because he expected to be winning handily on grass and instead barely wins on it. Grass might be less for servers than it used to be, but it's still a hefty advantage. Kyrgios, Berrettini, Cilic, Hurkacz and even Cressy with his recent success shows how much a big serve can pay dividends on grass. I think it's possible the type of serve that Reilly has is the problem or not being much of a threat to serve and volley could be the problem, and he thought it would be easier because it was for him in juniors. I think it's the super successful college player shocked that he's not killing it in the pros.

by ponchi101 ESPN also reporting that not only Cilic trained with Novak, Berrettini trained with Rafa.
Oh boy...

by JazzNU I'm no Simona Stan, but it's just disrespectful that Wimbledon didn't put her match on Centre Court. And they don't even have the excuse of being concerned that it would be a bad match. Injured last year, so It's her first match since winning the title, and Barty isn't there as defending champ. There is no reason they shouldn't have given her that honor.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:46 pm ESPN also reporting that not only Cilic trained with Novak, Berrettini trained with Rafa.
Oh boy...
Yes. It was heavily promoted, they were the first ever pre-tournament practice on Centre Court.

by dryrunguy
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:40 pm Opelka giving a statement that grass is no longer for servers. That grass has become too slow. Looking at Rafa and Cerundolo, yes, this is no longer the court of the 1980's.
I don't think Reilly has ever said anything that made any sense to me. It's as if he lives in some alternative universe I've never heard of. Sure, big servers have had some success at Wimbledon, but I can't name a single player who ever won Wimbledon with nothing but a serve. You have to have other tools to go with it. (And Reilly DOES have other weapons, which just makes the statement even more mystifying.)

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding him.

by shmrck14
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:46 pm ESPN also reporting that not only Cilic trained with Novak, Berrettini trained with Rafa.
Oh boy...
If I'm the AELTC I'm sh#&*ing bricks waiting for the other shoe to fall for these 2, particularly the unvaccinated 3x time defending champ. It kinda feels like it's only a matter of time.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Oh boy...
Yes. It was heavily promoted, they were the first ever pre-tournament practice on Centre Court.
Ok, I missed that. So I guess that by now they must be aware (Rafa's team).
BTW: Rafa just fell on court. Nothing major because his legs was not twisted, but... I am getting totally paranoid about these falls.
(And I know, it does not take much for me to go paranoid).

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:19 pm
JazzNU wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm
Oh boy...
Ok, I missed that. So I guess that by now they must be aware (Rafa's team).
BTW: Rafa just fell on court. Nothing major because his legs was not twisted, but... I am getting totally paranoid about these falls.
(And I know, it does not take much for me to go paranoid).
The best news for Rafa on the covid front is that the practice was several days ago, so there's a real chance that Matteo wasn't positive then. I'd say maybe it was on Friday.

You're not alone in your paranoia. Every grass fall makes me concerned for the player. Recent history hasn't been kind here and it's not just for this tournament either, I think that's part of the problem, the grass injuries have lingered and affected players for months so it makes me more worried.

Update - Rafa and Matteo practiced on the 23rd, so that was Thursday. - https://www.instagram.com/p/CfKDpYFonjc/

Matteo and Novak on the 24th, not sure if it was a practice that day or not - https://www.instagram.com/p/CfL4evQDsno/

by meganfernandez
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm
I don't think Reilly has ever said anything that made any sense to me. It's as if he lives in some alternative universe I've never heard of. Sure, big servers have had some success at Wimbledon, but I can't name a single player who ever won Wimbledon with nothing but a serve. You have to have other tools to go with it. (And Reilly DOES have other weapons, which just makes the statement even more mystifying.)

What about Philippoussis? Did he get to the final behind almost nothing but a serve? Or was his FH a serious weapon, too?

by Cuckoo4Coco Looks like FAA is having a test in his first match.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:44 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:17 pm

What about Philippoussis? Did he get to the final behind almost nothing but a serve? Or was his FH a serious weapon, too?
Philippousis had a monster FH, and was very adept at the net, with good volleys and an excellent smash.
Actually, in 97 when Sampras won, Mark had him on the ropes and retired with a knee injury. He was not a fluke (he also reached a USO final, so he has a bit of credentials).

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:47 pm Looks like FAA is having a test in his first match.
And we said it. Cressy in the first round, coming from a weekend grass final, was not going to be easy.
And the famous "Cerundolo is not going to win this match" is very much up in the air. Sure, I would not put money on him, but he is playing well.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:53 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:47 pm Looks like FAA is having a test in his first match.
And we said it. Cressy in the first round, coming from a weekend grass final, was not going to be easy.
And the famous "Cerundolo is not going to win this match" is very much up in the air. Sure, I would not put money on him, but he is playing well.
Cerundolo just might take Nadal to a 5th set but that is when Nadal always seems to go to the next gear and roll through that 5th set.

FAA looks like he is ready to go into a tie break in the 3rd set. This 3rd set is huge for both players.

by ponchi101 Rafa ties Martina for #4 in all time wins at Grand Slams. 306.
Behind just Roger, Novak and Serena (I am not sure if Serena and Novak are in that order).

by Cuckoo4Coco Welp, Felix is gonna have to take this to 5 sets to win this one.

by nelslus *AND Cerundolo had chances to go up a double break in the 4th set. The lousy bum. :gorgeous:

*I can only stand watching Felix/Cressy for a few games here and there. It's weirdly unnerving to watch a match where you want both players to win.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:15 pm Welp, Felix is gonna have to take this to 5 sets to win this one.
In a very close match. It is not looking good. I think he will pull through but not the way to start a tournament that is this tough.

by nelslus
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:57 pmThis 3rd set is huge for both players.
WIth players on this level at a Slam, I never really buy any particular set being of huge value. Could definitely see this going 5, The final result remains a toss-up IMO.

by Cuckoo4Coco I still think Felix has a shot in this match. It is not going to be easy at all. He just needs to take it one game at a time and that is probably what he is doing.

by meganfernandez First impressions of Serena: Power is still there, movement is okay, range/timing isn't great. Determination is high, she's roaring on every halfway aggressive shot a couple games in. If Tan can say calm and focused and get a lot of first serves in, I think she had the edge. Serena is teeing off on her second serve, which is forcing some double faults.

by nelslus
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 pm I still think Felix has a shot in this match. It is not going to be easy at all. He just needs to take it one game at a time and that is probably what he is doing.
And WHAT do you think you're doing, still here posting in TAT? Get out there on the practice court. 2025 Wimbledon will be here any day now. :o

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:35 pm First impressions of Serena: Power is still there, movement is okay, range/timing isn't great. Determination is high, she's roaring on every halfway aggressive shot a couple games in. If Tan can say calm and focused and get a lot of first serves in, I think she had the edge. Serena is teeing off on her second serve, which is forcing some double faults.
Well, Serena just ran down the dreaded drop shot/lob/drop shot combo and ended the point with an overhead. She must have had flashbacks to playing Hingis.

by Cuckoo4Coco
nelslus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:30 pm I still think Felix has a shot in this match. It is not going to be easy at all. He just needs to take it one game at a time and that is probably what he is doing.
And WHAT do you think you're doing, still here posting in TAT? Get out there on the practice court. 2025 Wimbledon will be here any day now. :o
:lol: I was already out there today for 2 hours. One thing my mom and coach tell me is that #1 is I need to be a kid first. For the two hours or so I am on the court that is my tennis time. Then the rest of the time they want me to be a kid.

Also when I am in school that comes first before hitting the tennis court. Moms rules.

by nelslus
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 pm :lol: I was already out there today for 2 hours. One thing my mom and coach tell me is that #1 is I need to be a kid first. For the two hours or so I am on the court that is my tennis time. Then the rest of the time they want me to be a kid.

Also when I am in school that comes first before hitting the tennis court. Moms rules.
Pretty imaginary little Pool trophies matter more. Nelslus Rules. :gorgeous:

PS: Your mom and coach are correct. You playing for an NCAA Division 1 university would be huge. My partner John (otherwise known in these parts as baby nelslus) and I have been a few times at the women's tennis NCAA play-offs at Northwestern, my alma mater. Not sure if I missed this- which universities are your top choices? :)

by meganfernandez FAA out of the bottom half. Thinks looking better and better for Rafa (and Botic, also in that half).

by ponchi101 FAA out, against Cressy.
I took Cressy out of my GA team thinking that Felix would be a bit too much. But a very close match.
Out in R1: Berrettini, Cilic, Hurlacz, FAA. Different reasons but still, a few dents in the draw.

Posted after Megan: yep, a VERY good day for Rafa.

by meganfernandez Tan out-steadied Serena to take the first set. It's fun stuff.

Cressy is so much fun to watch. Gets Sock next. Has a great shot at the quarters vs. Rafa or Botic.

Ponchi, dare we watch Muguruza??

by Suliso FAA, Shapovalov and Sinner have stalled in their development somewhat. Especially compared to Alcaraz albeit in his case also we need to see first how well he can follow up.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:26 pm FAA, Shapovalov and Sinner have stalled in their development somewhat. Especially compared to Alcaraz albeit in his case also we need to see first how well he can follow up.
I think Alcaraz is in a different league them them. Maybe half a league. Seems to have the steely belief of a champion.

by Suliso That's how it seems right now, but we might be having a recency bias. His Slam results not so special yet.

by Cuckoo4Coco
nelslus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:04 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:42 pm :lol: I was already out there today for 2 hours. One thing my mom and coach tell me is that #1 is I need to be a kid first. For the two hours or so I am on the court that is my tennis time. Then the rest of the time they want me to be a kid.

PS: Your mom and coach are correct. You playing for an NCAA Division 1 university would be huge. My partner John (otherwise known in these parts as baby nelslus) and I have been a few times at the women's tennis NCAA play-offs at Northwestern, my alma mater. Not sure if I missed this- which universities are your top choices? :)
I just finished the 10th grade and I really just started thinking about universities. Obviously the University of Florida is one of my choices. Not sure if I would get recruited there, but that would be my dream. Then there is also Vanderbilt University which is also one that I probably will not be recruited at. Others include The University of South Carolina, The University of Tennessee, & The University of Kentucky. There are also local schools like The University of Maryland & The University of Delaware. There is also a small Division 3 college in Vermont called Middlebury that I like a lot.

Tough match for Felix and I am kind of bummed about that, but Cressy did play a great match and deserved to move on.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:39 pm

I just finished the 10th grade and I really just started thinking about universities. Obviously the University of Florida is one of my choices. Not sure if I would get recruited there, but that would be my dream. Then there is also Vanderbilt University which is also one that I probably will not be recruited at. Others include The University of South Carolina, The University of Tennessee, & The University of Kentucky. There are also local schools like The University of Maryland & The University of Delaware. There is also a small Division 3 college in Vermont called Middlebury that I like a lot.

Tough match for Felix and I am kind of bummed about that, but Cressy did play a great match and deserved to move on.
Allow me to put the University of Indianapolis on your radar. :) It's a top D2 school. They always make the national championship. I live near there and play at their tennis center, and support the teams. It's a fantastic program, great coach, great group of kids. They support each other a lot. Good school, too.

You have a great attitude about your favorites winning and losing.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:25 pm Tan out-steadied Serena to take the first set. It's fun stuff.

Cressy is so much fun to watch. Gets Sock next. Has a great shot at the quarters vs. Rafa or Botic.

Ponchi, dare we watch Muguruza??
Can't. Only showing Centre Court here, so I get spared that pain.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:46 pm

Allow me to put the University of Indianapolis on your radar. :) It's a top D2 school. They always make the national championship. I live near there and play at their tennis center, and support the teams. It's a fantastic program, great coach, great group of kids. They support each other a lot. Good school, too.

I think in the my Senior year and the Summer before my Senior year I will visit some of these schools and see what they offer and what the coaches are like and maybe even hang with some of the players on the tennis team. I want to get a feel of what college is like and what schools will offer me the best chance of helping my tennis game and mostly the school that will give me the best education. That is what the main thing is and my mom makes sure she tells me that at least once or twice a week. :lol:

Both of my older brothers are in college right now. One is going to be a Senior next year and the other a Sophomore. They played Lacrosse since they were young and both play Club Lacrosse at the colleges they go to.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:29 pm That's how it seems right now, but we might be having a recency bias. His Slam results not so special yet.
It's like Wertheim has been saying - it's not just the results, it's simply what you can see. We have all seen Alcaraz play and I think it's pretty clear he's a special player and competitor, more special than those guys you mentioned. Whether the results follow, who knows. Most likely.

by ponchi101 Alcaraz is WAY ahead of the pack because, although he has not done anything great at a slam (he has done well), he already has two MS1000's. Those count.
It is a bit like Zverev, who has yet to win a slam, has been successful at MS1000's and has better results that his peers (Daniil and Stefanos) at that level (sure, Daniil has one slam). Right now, because of the age difference, Carlitos is in a class by himself, meaning he is not part of the NextGen-1, but has cleared himself from the NextGen-2 group.

by Cuckoo4Coco Shelby Rogers is about to take an early 1st round exit in straight sets to Petra Martic.

Although Martic gets the Match Game Yips and loses her serve.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:59 pm Alcaraz is WAY ahead of the pack because, although he has not done anything great at a slam (he has done well), he already has two MS1000's. Those count.
QF of the USO last year was special, beating Tsitsipas. Youngest male US Open quarterfinalist in the Open Era, and only his fourth Slam.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 pm Shelby Rogers is about to take an early 1st round exit in straight sets to Petra Martic.

Martic's a tough customer with decent Slam runs. I stayed away from this match in SP.

by ponchi101 @ megan. Sure, Carlitos has done well. He has yet to go beyond a QF. And at the level we are talking, one good showing (together with his RG QF) is not the stuff of what we expect him to reach. I am with you in the sense that he passes the eye test: his FH is a truly unique weapon, the serve is improving from tournament to tournament, the overall persona is very pleasant. He will reach further heights.
But he is not there yet.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:10 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:05 pm Shelby Rogers is about to take an early 1st round exit in straight sets to Petra Martic.

Martic's a tough customer with decent Slam runs. I stayed away from this match in SP.
I didn't. And am about to die (or at the very least, :vomit:

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:10 pm

I picked Serena today and I am a little nervous with the match still but things are looking good for her now.

by Cuckoo4Coco I really want to watch now with Felix out both Taylor Fritz and Cameron Norrie.

by ponchi101 My question is: what is really happening with Mugu? Because a few bad results are one thing. This level of performance is something else. Especially in view that she is not injured (or has not said so).

by Cuckoo4Coco Martic ends Shelby Rogers on day one for her in straight sets.

by ponchi101 And puts me out of my misery... :cry:

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:30 pm And puts me out of my misery... :cry:
My two Suicide Contest players today were about ready to make me commit suicide :D with Nick Kyrgios and his 5 set match and now Serena in the 3rd set versus Tan. Making me hold my breath til the bitter end.

by JTContinental Venus brought some hair with her to England

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:40 pm
My two Suicide Contest players today were about ready to make me commit suicide :D with Nick Kyrgios and his 5 set match and now Serena in the 3rd set versus Tan. Making me hold my breath til the bitter end.
Bwahahahaha! Welcome to the Suicide Pools! :twisted: You still have time to repent and leave this messy place...
(Actually, no you don't. You are stuck here with the rest of us :freaking: )

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:09 pm
Bwahahahaha! Welcome to the Suicide Pools! :twisted: You still have time to repent and leave this messy place...
:lol:
And Serena can't close the match out on her serve. Unfreakingbelievable.

Heck of a match for Harmony Tan. Has to be her best match ever. Too bad for Serena and this early exit.

Also a pretty early exit for me in the Women's Suicide Contest. At least I am still alive on the Men's side.

Another awesome day at Wimbledon.

by jazzyg At least we're spared the garbage about Serena being a possible contender. Throwing in 80 mph first serves, missing shots by yards and moving sluggishly, all of which is totally expected for any 40-something player who has not competed for 12 months regardless of their history.

Tan fed her a steady diet of junk and it paid off because of the poor footwork and massive rust.

Gauff and Serena played horribly today, but since Gauff is 18 and coming off a slam final, she found a way to win. I don't like her chances here with those extreme grips, but I don't want to underestimate her incredible will and movement.

by dryrunguy
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:09 pm
Also a pretty early exit for me in the Women's Suicide Contest.
Don't worry. It gets worse. :)

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:10 pm ...

Heck of a match for Harmony Tan. Has to be her best match ever. Too bad for Serena and this early exit.

Also a pretty early exit for me in the Women's Suicide Contest. At least I am still alive on the Men's side.

Which, for those of us with years of experience and frustration in this game, is the fastest and most effective way to jinx yourself into tomorrow your pick losing, again, in another agonizing final set Tie-Break.
The little nuances of this game...

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 pm At least we're spared the garbage about Serena being a possible contender. Throwing in 80 mph first serves, missing shots by yards and moving sluggishly, all of which is totally expected for any 40-something player who has not competed for 12 months regardless of their history.

Tan fed her a steady diet of junk and it paid off because of the poor footwork and massive rust.

Gauff and Serena played horribly today, but since Gauff is 18 and coming off a slam final, she found a way to win. I don't like her chances here with those extreme grips, but I don't want to underestimate her incredible will and movement.
Even if Serena had been in prime form, Tan's only chance was that. No pace, no rhythm, nothing for Serena to build on. Sure, a prime Serena would have squeaked the first set and roll on the second, but a good tactical plan from Tan.
For those that are followers of Serena: last match at the AELTC?

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 pm

Which, for those of us with years of experience and frustration in this game, is the fastest and most effective way to jinx yourself into tomorrow your pick losing, again, in another agonizing final set Tie-Break.
I am not that confident with my pick of Paul for tomorrow and the last time I checked I think only me and meganfernandez selected him.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

I am not that confident with my pick of Paul for tomorrow and the last time I checked I think only me and meganfernandez selected him.
Don’t jinx us!!! :) I originally picked Serena today, for old time’s sake, then decided to save AND avoid her, so ai changed it. I’m sorry you got “cheeked” early but at least you made it last Day 1! I have never won a women’s SP and rarely made it to the second week. I think the men’s is easier.

I’m feeling good about Paul tomorrow. My only worry is that we could have used him in the next round.

Positive thoughts!! :)

by jazzyg I've never won a women's SP, either. I made a rare appearance in the final page at Roland Garros and promptly lost.

I picked Paul to reach the third round before the tournament, but I feel there are a lot of better picks tomorrow. Mannarino has made the fourth round three times.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:27 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

Don’t jinx us!!! :) I originally picked Serena today, for old time’s sake, then decided to save AND avoid her, so ai changed it. I’m sorry you got “cheeked” early but at least you made it last Day 1! I have never won a women’s SP and rarely made it to the second week. I think the men’s is easier.

I’m feeling good about Paul tomorrow. My only worry is that we could have used him in the next round.

Positive thoughts!! :)

I don't want to jinx other peoples picks but I think I will be cheering against Otte and Kecmanovic tomorrow. :D

I will be watching and cheering on Tommy Paul tomorrow for sure.

by Deuce
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:51 pm At least we're spared the garbage about Serena being a possible contender. Throwing in 80 mph first serves, missing shots by yards and moving sluggishly, all of which is totally expected for any 40-something player who has not competed for 12 months regardless of their history.

^ Yes... I saw the 1st set and the beginning of the 3rd set of Serena - Tan, and Serena was as you describe above.
Wozniacki (and her annoying voice) was one of the commentators for that match, and she said that Serena's movement was "really good" - thus providing a strong argument against having people commentate on the matches of their personal friends - because, from what I saw, Serena's movement was terrible. And Tan was taking advantage with the drop shots that Serena wasn't getting anywhere near.

Along with the poor movement, Serena missed all kinds of shots. But every once in a while, she'd hit a great shot. She looked exactly like a 40 year old player who is coming back from a 2 year retirement, and who used to be really good, but who has not competed in a long time.
I'm surprised it went 3 sets. I guess Serena must have done something right in the middle set (which I didn't watch, as I was focused on Felix - Cressy).

by ashkor87 Very impressed with Halep and Swiatek today ..both played like champions...Gauff not so much..her forehand was repeatedly exposed yet again ..

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:59 pm Alcaraz is WAY ahead of the pack because, although he has not done anything great at a slam (he has done well), he already has two MS1000's. Those count.
It is a bit like Zverev, who has yet to win a slam, has been successful at MS1000's and has better results that his peers (Daniil and Stefanos) at that level (sure, Daniil has one slam). Right now, because of the age difference, Carlitos is in a class by himself, meaning he is not part of the NextGen-1, but has cleared himself from the NextGen-2 group.
Right, but he's definitely the same generation as Sinner and FAA. Age difference is only 1-2 years.

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:26 am Very impressed with Halep and Swiatek today ..both played like champions...Gauff not so much..her forehand was repeatedly exposed yet again ..
I didn't see any of the Halep match - but I was surprised by the rather one-sided score vs. Muchova.

I didn't see any of the Gauff match, either, but I'm not surprised that Ruse gave her significant trouble.

by patrick
Deuce wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:58 am

^ Yes... I saw the 1st set and the beginning of the 3rd set of Serena - Tan, and Serena was as you describe above.
Wozniacki (and her annoying voice) was one of the commentators for that match, and she said that Serena's movement was "really good" - thus providing a strong argument against having people commentate on the matches of their personal friends - because, from what I saw, Serena's movement was terrible. And Tan was taking advantage with the drop shots that Serena wasn't getting anywhere near.

Along with the poor movement, Serena missed all kinds of shots. But every once in a while, she'd hit a great shot. She looked exactly like a 40 year old player who is coming back from a 2 year retirement, and who used to be really good, but who has not competed in a long time.
I'm surprised it went 3 sets. I guess Serena must have done something right in the middle set (which I didn't watch, as I was focused on Felix - Cressy).
On that break point when Serena served for the match, she played that point too loosely which gave Tan the easiest passing shot in tennis. Also, she was undecided at times on what shot to hit and almost whiffed on them.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:26 am ...

Right, but he's definitely the same generation as Sinner and FAA. Age difference is only 1-2 years.
Should have written my post better. Sure, he is together with FAA and Sinner (and Rune), but he is clearly ahead of those. I am not sure if he can be a contender here at W, because of the surface (although it is playing so slow he can be very good on it), but at the USO, and with his good result at Miami, he will be one.
We agree, just I did not explain myself well enough.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:49 pm

I think in the my Senior year and the Summer before my Senior year I will visit some of these schools and see what they offer and what the coaches are like and maybe even hang with some of the players on the tennis team. I want to get a feel of what college is like and what schools will offer me the best chance of helping my tennis game and mostly the school that will give me the best education. That is what the main thing is and my mom makes sure she tells me that at least once or twice a week. :lol:

Both of my older brothers are in college right now. One is going to be a Senior next year and the other a Sophomore. They played Lacrosse since they were young and both play Club Lacrosse at the colleges they go to.
Solid priorities!

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:27 pm

Solid priorities!
When I was younger my dream was to be on the pro tour. Well it still is but I think as I have gotten a bit older I have widened my goals a bit and my main one is to get a good education from all of this.

I look at players like Coco, Emma, & Leylah and say OMG they are 18 & 19 years old and already established on the tour. Here I am only a few years younger and I am playing on my high school team. I also know that there are a lot of players that go through college and then the pro tour and maybe I will grow into that player. I have a lot of work to do to reach that level but I am a hard worker both on the court and in the classroom.

One thing you all will quickly realize about me is though I am really young I am dedicated. Heck I started all of this when I was just 5 years old and I still love it and am still going strong with it. Even if I just play at college and get a great education and then after that just play tennis for recreation for the rest of my life it will be all worth it.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:51 pm

Solid priorities!
When I was younger my dream was to be on the pro tour. Well it still is but I think as I have gotten a bit older I have widened my goals a bit and my main one is to get a good education from all of this.

I look at players like Coco, Emma, & Leylah and say OMG they are 18 & 19 years old and already established on the tour. Here I am only a few years younger and I am playing on my high school team. I also know that there are a lot of players that go through college and then the pro tour and maybe I will grow into that player. I have a lot of work to do to reach that level but I am a hard worker both on the court and in the classroom.

One thing you all will quickly realize about me is though I am really young I am dedicated. Heck I started all of this when I was just 5 years old and I still love it and am still going strong with it. Even if I just play at college and get a great education and then after that just play tennis for recreation for the rest of my life it will be all worth it.
That is such a healthy perspective. It would be well worth all the hard work if you play as a student-athlete and then have tennis in your life as a serious hobby and something fun. But going to college is a totally legit path to the pros, for sure. More and more, players are choosing that route, and I think it's so smart. Take time to develop for (mostly) free if you can and get an education along the way. Do you follow Cracked Racquets, which covers college tennis? Noticed this today and it's such a great point.

About those teenage players you mentioned - for every one of them, there are dozens of players like you who also made it to the pros. It sounds like you have all the ingredients to keep it in your sights. Good luck.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:57 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:51 pm

Solid priorities!

That is such a healthy perspective. It would be well worth all the hard work if you play as a student-athlete and then have tennis in your life as a serious hobby and something fun. But going to college is a totally legit path to the pros, for sure. More and more, players are choosing that route, and I think it's so smart. Take time to develop for (mostly) free if you can and get an education along the way. Do you follow Cracked Racquets, which covers college tennis? Noticed this today and it's such a great point.

About those teenage players you mentioned - for every one of them, there are dozens of players like you who also made it to the pros. It sounds like you have all the ingredients to keep it in your sights. Good luck.
Thank you so much. I try and work so hard everyday with my tennis. I try and take in everything I possibly can on and off the court. There are many times when my mom tells me to take a break from tennis.

I listen to a podcast that is called The Mini Break which mentions Cracked Racquets. They discuss everything about tennis. The pros and college. Right now it is all about Wimbledon.