With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
atlpam United States of America

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by atlpam »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:02 pm I hope that person gets charged for time and money wasted due to his behavior.
These people should be given like their own country. See how long it takes for them to descend into savagery.
There were plain closed police on board and the man was taken off in handcuffs. Hubby talked to the neighbor to his Dad’s house who saw it on the news; she didn’t know that was the ferry my hubby was on.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 pm So the hubby had to get a ferry back to the mainland to return to the US after closing out his father’s estate on Vancouver Island. The ferry had to turn back to remove an unruly passenger who refused to wear a mask or stay in his car. Apparently he was going to an anti-mask rally.

This is wild. Thanks for sharing. You see these things on the news sometimes, but I don't know anyone who has witness these crazies in person.

And sorry to hear about your family's loss. I hope your husband is doing okay.
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:47 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:48 pm AZ seems to have higher risks but efficacy is 76% (100% vs severe disease) while J&J is 66% (85% against severe disease). I think there are different results in different regions and age groups but these are the main overall stats

You should post what you are reading. I haven't read anything that actually references the trial data where J&J isn't 100% against hospitalizations and death. Severe disease is this context doesn't include being hospitalized with the virus. And unlike the other approved vaccines, it ran trials where the most concerning variants are and while those variants were dominant and that was still the case. And they had hospitalizations and death in the placebo group.

Also, the AZ vaccine had concerning results against the South African variant to the point that the trial was suspended there and use of the vaccine were halted as they study that variant more.

If you're seeing something else legitimate, you should post it.

[DELETED URLS FROM YOUR POST BECAUSE OF THE LINK LIMIT)
Sorry for the late response but work and life get in the way - which is why I didn't post sources in the first place. Maybe I should have, but this isn't a news site, we are not always going to have the footnotes ready.

The materials I saw had "severe illness" for not only J&J but Pfizer and Moderna.

https://www.fda.gov/media/146304/download (J&J, Search for efficacy)
https://www.fda.gov/media/144637/download (Moderna, search for efficacy)
https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/covid ... comparison
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/29/health/j ... index.html

Conscious that there is no apples-to-apples comparison because of the timing of the testing, but there have been reports that "real world" current research supports the fact that Pfizer and Moderna are 90% effective, although doesn't provide data for each of the two. https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... ld-setting

Post by atlpam »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:36 pm
atlpam wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 pm So the hubby had to get a ferry back to the mainland to return to the US after closing out his father’s estate on Vancouver Island. The ferry had to turn back to remove an unruly passenger who refused to wear a mask or stay in his car. Apparently he was going to an anti-mask rally.

This is wild. Thanks for sharing. You see these things on the news sometimes, but I don't know anyone who has witness these crazies in person.

And sorry to hear about your family's loss. I hope your husband is doing okay.
Thanks Jazz - My father-in-law passed 3 years ago. Family was taking the time to sort through what was in the house prior to selling, but with Covid, no one had been able to travel there since all the family is in the US. They got a contract on the house, so as executor my husband had to go finish clearing out the house. Bittersweet as the home had a fabulous view, but it wasn't financially feasible for the family to hold on to it.

Scheduling the trip was a nightmare - he changed his reservations at least 5 or 6 times. Finally ended up flying to Seattle & renting a car to drive across the border & take a ferry to the island so he could go directly to the house to quarantine instead of a hotel. He was fully immunized prior to travel. He had to take 3 Covid PCR tests - 1 prior to travel, 1 when he crossed the border into Canada, and 1 after 10 days of quarantine. He had to stay in his car on the ferry. I think International travel is still a ways off for us.

Post by JazzNU »

My 99-year old great aunt finally got her covid vaccine today! In NYC, she's been eligible since very early on, but the city didn't send mobile units to senior apartments like hers early on, only to the senior centers and they aren't considered a nursing home. So she could get one, but she had to leave her building. We all decided that wasn't a necessary risk to take given her fragile health. So had to wait for them to send out mobile units like this where she could get it administered in her apartment or at least in her building and that finally happened today.

She got the J&J. She is deathly afraid of needles. The look on her face (her aide sent us photos) getting the shot is heartbreaking, she looks petrified, so I'm very happy she won't have to get a second shot.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I guess no one ever told him huh? Either that or he's never traveled outside of the country.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

The same way everybody in the world feels when we are required to have a Yellow Fever vaccine before we can enter ANY country in Africa or many in South America. Perfectly normal.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:47 pm The same way everybody in the world feels when we are required to have a Yellow Fever vaccine before we can enter ANY country in Africa or many in South America. Perfectly normal.
It's almost like vaccines are for your own protection...

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:41 pm I guess no one ever told him huh? Either that or he's never traveled outside of the country.
He could've never left the state of California, this is egregious. Who the heck ever heard of a Internal Medicine doctor that doesn't know and hasn't signed off on immunization records for their patients to travel or attend school or go to camp or wherever else? Outside of pediatricians, that's the #1 doctor that signs those forms. If he's still board certified, a hearing needs to be called to put that certification into question. And if he sits on any medical school's boards, they need to ditch him quickly if they didn't in 2020 when they should have. His mind is cracked.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I actually never heard of him until today but it seems like as usual I'm out of the loop.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:41 am I actually never heard of him until today but it seems like as usual I'm out of the loop.

The height of his fame was in the late 90s as the co-host of the MTV show Loveline with Adam Carolla, really a call-in radio show turned into a TV show giving out relationship advice. I never understood their or the show's popularity, though Drew was easier to take than Adam's abrasive personality by a mile. The last few years are not what people expected out of Dr. Drew at all. Adam, on the other hand, is partly why I've never fully warmed up to Jimmy Kimmel like others have.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Thanks Jazz for explaining who he is.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by atlpam »

Received my second dose this morning. Very few cars at the state mass vaccination site - no wait. Sign as you entered said no appointment necessary. Just shows how low the demand is once you leave the Atlanta metro area and enter rural GA. Anyone 16 and over is eligible.