With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Suliso Latvia

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by Suliso »

Is the vaccine freely available for everyone in all states in US from tomorrow as was promised?
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Suliso wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:04 pm Is the vaccine freely available for everyone in all states in US from tomorrow as was promised?
In my area, that started about 2 weeks ago.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My niece, in GA, had her second shot on Thursday. She asked specifically about our situation and was told that all we would need to do would be show our passports, as a form of ID. They told her they have plenty of vaccines and she reports that, the whole time she was there (she is highly allergic to everything, so she was kept the extra 1/2 hour) there were some people but nothing like a crowd.
Only "issue": they have MODERNA, which calls for a second shot at 28 days. So the stay would have to be long.
In Colorado, all our friends have bene vaccinated, even their children. So it seems Uncle joe delivered on his promise.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I'm happy to report that I just got my appointment for ten days from now, for Pfizer 1.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:51 pm My niece, in GA, had her second shot on Thursday. She asked specifically about our situation and was told that all we would need to do would be show our passports, as a form of ID. They told her they have plenty of vaccines and she reports that, the whole time she was there (she is highly allergic to everything, so she was kept the extra 1/2 hour) there were some people but nothing like a crowd.
Only "issue": they have MODERNA, which calls for a second shot at 28 days. So the stay would have to be long.
In Colorado, all our friends have bene vaccinated, even their children. So it seems Uncle joe delivered on his promise.
The state mass vaccination sites in Georgia having been giving Pfizer.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

She did go to a private health provider, as she works in a University and that is her supplier.
When I finally decide to go I will look into the state sites. Specially one that has J&J, if possible.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

This really is a thing. Ask someone which vaccine they got and if they got Pfizer the nose goes in the air and an expression of moral superiority appears on their face before they even answer you.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I get my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday April 20.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Post by Togtdyalttai »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:43 pm This really is a thing. Ask someone which vaccine they got and if they got Pfizer the nose goes in the air and an expression of moral superiority appears on their face before they even answer you.

I can't believe that exists. I would have happily gotten Pfizer (or J&J for that matter), but a small part of me is happy to have gotten Moderna because it's a small company, as opposed to a pharma giant.

Post by atlpam »

Lots of anecdotal info around side effects being worse with Moderna, but from people I know, there hasn’t been much difference. My husband had Moderna; I had Pfizer. We didn’t choose - it was what was available when/where we were able to schedule.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:51 pm My niece, in GA, had her second shot on Thursday. She asked specifically about our situation and was told that all we would need to do would be show our passports, as a form of ID.
That's great, looser than other places that I know of. Early on, I have a friend of a friend who flew here to get their vaccine from another state. Took their parents electricity bill and their passport and were able to get the vaccine. But they needed something with an address on it.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 am Lots of anecdotal info around side effects being worse with Moderna, but from people I know, there hasn’t been much difference. My husband had Moderna; I had Pfizer. We didn’t choose - it was what was available when/where we were able to schedule.
Though not apples to apples, Moderna is over 3x as strong as Pfizer, so not surprising that the side effects may be a bit more frequent or severe. Only time will tell if there's an advantage of it being stronger dosage, such as the Moderna potentially giving a longer window of protection than the Pfizer.

Personally, from what I've seen in the news and on social media, I've never seen so much whining about mild symptoms that disappear in 2 days in my life. You'd think people were at the hospital getting pumped full of IV medicine for the amount you hear about these side effects yet every story ends with "I was feeling fine after a few days."
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

There's also this weird "pity brag" thing happening. "Yes, I did the socially responsible thing and got the vaccine, but oh, the suffering, the suffering!"

That said, the complaining has been frequent enough that the two people living in this house are already planning to get their vaccines at separate times--just in case one or both of us is laid up, at least we will be laid up at different times. And one of us will be able to keep things going (feeding critters, cooking, laundry, etc.) on the other's behalf for a day or two if necessary.

Post by atlpam »

I took the day off after my second dose (because I could), but the headache and low fever I experienced would not have prevented me from working from home that day. A good friend's daughter ran a pretty high fever after her second Moderna. It was good that she had decided to spend the night with her Mom rather than being alone at her apartment, so scheduling at separate times, just in case, probably makes sense.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

It seems to be very individual. A friend in Virginia (35, no health risks) got her first dose (Moderna) few weeks ago and reported virtually no side effects at all and went back to work the same day.