With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I did find a I AM SHOCKED CASABLANCA gif. But it is two big.
Wonder who grifted from that. I mean, of the kids and Jared.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Sidebar: Something that is attracting a decent amount of local conversation here... Apparently, several reports indicate that vaccine candidates should abstain from consuming alcohol in the days leading up to and following the administration of COVID vaccination doses because alcohol lowers immunity and can significantly reduce vaccine effectiveness.

It's quite the topic of conversation around here. As you may know, rural Pennsylvania has astronomical rates of alcoholism, and for some, alcohol is far more important than preventing COVID.

Just mentioning it.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Really? Instinctively that doesn't make much sense to me, would like to see some proper study proving it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:50 am Really? Instinctively that doesn't make much sense to me, would like to see some proper study proving it.
Alcohol has been long thought to have a negative effect on the immune system.
Just dug these up quickly...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4590612/

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/alcohol-covid

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It was one year ago today that the first official fatality of COVID-19 was recorded - a man in Wuhan, China.

And since then, the virus has spread as dramatically as it has rapidly, and grew quickly out of control all over the world.
It feels like we've been inhabiting a different planet for the past 10 months here.
What we had known as 'normal life' for the entirety of our respective existences seems like it happened a few lifetimes ago.
No-one could have imagined that what we're currently living would be our reality.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Deuce wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:49 am It was one year ago today that the first official fatality of COVID-19 was recorded - a man in Wuhan, China.

And since then, the virus has spread as dramatically as it has rapidly, and grew quickly out of control all over the world.
It feels like we've been inhabiting a different planet for the past 10 months here.
What we had known as 'normal life' for the entirety of our respective existences seems like it happened a few lifetimes ago.
No-one could have imagined that what we're currently living would be our reality.
I agree mostly with your post, except the bold part. After reading THE COMING PLAGUE, written in 1994, the immunology and viral experts of the world were clear that this was WHEN, not IF.
Remember that even "popular" culture foresaw this. Non-Fiction thrillers like Richard Preston's THE HOT ZONE, or films like Steven Soderbergh's CONTAGION made points about what could happen.
Were we warned? Debatable. Did this come completely out of nowhere? No. Some people saw it.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

A couple small things I'm wondering regarding vaccination...

- the first dose offers only partial protection. Suppose someone still gets ill two weeks after getting it. Does he/she gets the second dose anyway while they are ill?
- above it was described that few people got lucky and received the first dose of the vaccine well before "their time". But now what happens with the 2nd dose? Do they get that too in 3 weeks? Also what kind of proof of vaccination do people get in US?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:04 pm A couple small things I'm wondering regarding vaccination...

- the first dose offers only partial protection. Suppose someone still gets ill two weeks after getting it. Does he/she gets the second dose anyway while they are ill?
- above it was described that few people got lucky and received the first dose of the vaccine well before "their time". But now what happens with the 2nd dose? Do they get that too in 3 weeks? Also what kind of proof of vaccination do people get in US?
Yes.
And one thing that I would like to see. People should get proof of vaccination that is visible to others, if they want it. I would not mind wearing a plastic bracelet for one year, showing I got my shot.
Your points are all spot-on. I wonder if the governments have thought about that.
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:04 pm A couple small things I'm wondering regarding vaccination...

To the second point, the next appointment gets scheduled pretty much immediately. I know the grocery pharmacy near me will give you a number to call or weblink that you can use to schedule shot #2.

As to your first point, a scary thought.
shtexas United States of America

Post by shtexas »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:21 pm

Yes.
And one thing that I would like to see. People should get proof of vaccination that is visible to others, if they want it. I would not mind wearing a plastic bracelet for one year, showing I got my shot.
Your points are all spot-on. I wonder if the governments have thought about that.
The conservatives here would scream if they had to carry papers or wear a bracelet as proof.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, sure. I can see them screaming about their freedom and other nonsense. I was talking about myself; I would not mind wearing it as way of proof that I have taken it.
Maybe they can wear it wrapped around their gun. You know, open carry?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I have a vaccination "passport" since I've been vaccinated as an adult against all kinds of tropical diseases few years ago. I assume my future covid vaccine will be added there as well. Not sure what percentage of people here or anywhere else do have such a thing.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:32 am I have a vaccination "passport" since I've been vaccinated as an adult against all kinds of tropical diseases few years ago. I assume my future covid vaccine will be added there as well. Not sure what percentage of people here or anywhere else do have such a thing.
I had something similar when I was a kid, but it hasn't been updated since I was pretty young - my Mom probably still has it because she keeps everything.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I have one too, which is basically mandatory for the industry. And for sure my vaccination will go there (I will request it). But I don't walk around with it, as it is too valuable a document for me. Would be in real trouble if I lost it.
The Yellow Fever vaccination document that is universal has space to fill in other vaccines, too.
I guess we are in agreement. Just wait and see if any government implements something.