National, Regional and Local News

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
Togtdyalttai United States of America

Re: National, Regional and Local News

Post by Togtdyalttai »

I'm okay with this change. I oppose the death penalty in general, but if you're going to have it then I don't care which method you use among those three. I think at that point it's a philosophical issue and there are more impactful issues to be concerned with.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Don't you think that this is a bit medieval? I wonder what kind of challenge can be done based on the "cruel and unusual punishment" concept. The person sentenced now has to "suffer" through the decision process of "how do I want to die".
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:24 pm Don't you think that this is a bit medieval? I wonder what kind of challenge can be done based on the "cruel and unusual punishment" concept. The person sentenced now has to "suffer" through the decision process of "how do I want to die".
The cruelty is the point.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

As I was getting ready to post this I wondered so many times it has to do with a mass shooting of some kind?

This from the LAT article:

“We received information that there are explosive devices that are located inside the building,” said Deputy Russell Davis of the Santa Clara Sheriff’s Department. “We activated our bomb squad, which is currently out on scene.”

“We received information that there are explosive devices that are located inside the building,” said Deputy Russell Davis of the Santa Clara Sheriff’s Department. “We activated our bomb squad, which is currently out on scene.”

Sources said the suspect is believed to have killed himself after the mass shooting. Multiple weapons and ammunition were reportedly found inside his home.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

Togtdyalttai wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:46 pm I'm okay with this change. I oppose the death penalty in general, but if you're going to have it then I don't care which method you use among those three. I think at that point it's a philosophical issue and there are more impactful issues to be concerned with.
I think the point is not about the two different methods, but rather that the condemned person has to choose.

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

About the mass shootings: Is it me or are they escalating on violence and scope? By that I mean, these people are PLANNING these events in a more elaborate way to create more casualties. Now they are including bombs? Other than they act as lone wolves, in which way are they NOT like a terrorist organization?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:23 pm About the mass shootings: Is it me or are they escalating on violence and scope? By that I mean, these people are PLANNING these events in a more elaborate way to create more casualties. Now they are including bombs? Other than they act as lone wolves, in which way are they NOT like a terrorist organization?
We've said it elsewhere on the site but the mental health issues surrounding the lock down need to be addressed. I agree ponchi. He didn't wake up and grab his gun before running out to his job. This was planned. Setting his house on fire was a planned diversion. That there could've been weapons and bombs in the house is next level insanity.

This summer is going to be really scary.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Maybe if they had beefed up their security? The steaks were too high to let this happen.

I'll see myself out.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No, please. You were one cut above your duty ;)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

More on the effects of the JBS cyber attack.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:28 pm No, please. You were one cut above your duty ;)
Thanks. I guess they didn't have the chops to handle this.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:43 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:28 pm No, please. You were one cut above your duty ;)
Thanks. I guess they didn't have the chops to handle this.
Anyone with (sirloin) tips is encouraged to call the 1-877-NYSTRIP hotline.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

On a serious note, meat prices here have been through the roof for quite some time. I'm not sure what was behind it before this, but even cheap cuts like a pair of Denver steaks could be purchased for $6-$7. As of several weeks ago, here you're talking about $21 for a pair of Denver steaks. I'm SO glad we purchased 1/2 of a beef calf from the neighbor several months back. And even THAT cost much more than it did the last time we bought 1/2 of a beef calf.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:38 pm On a serious note, meat prices here have been through the roof for quite some time. I'm not sure what was behind it before this, but even cheap cuts like a pair of Denver steaks could be purchased for $6-$7. As of several weeks ago, here you're talking about $21 for a pair of Denver steaks. I'm SO glad we purchased 1/2 of a beef calf from the neighbor several months back. And even THAT cost much more than it did the last time we bought 1/2 of a beef calf.
I order from Crowd Cow and we'd ordered so much I figured we could skip a month (May) and we did. What an idiotic move. Prices, as dry said, had already started to creep up, and they were high to begin with.