With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by ti-amie »

The Washington Post
@washingtonpost

The broader slowdown in vaccinations may be a sign that the U.S. cannot vaccinate its way to safety from new virus variants, said Neha Agarwal, associate director of diagnostics at PATH, a global health equity nonprofit.
http://wapo.st/3gnWNsk
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:40 pm
2nd dose in the left arm. No signs of anything. Back home, I understood how my friend was able to get a Pfizer vaccine: I had forgotten he has three underlying conditions: diabetes, High Blood pressure, and two stones of extra weight. I would still be waiting and scheduled for late in the summer.
That 3 weeks went by fast. Happy to hear you got your second shot. I think it's great you travelled to get the shot and didn't delay. The Delta variant is damn scary and I hope I'm wrong, but seems that by late summer, that might be the dominant or second dominant strain in many more countries than it is the case right now.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

By the way even the Delta variant is 3-4x less virulent than measles (most potent pathogenic virus known). So if we're particularly unlucky there is still a room for worse variants.

Post by JazzNU »

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Re. Eriksen, because no athlete ever dropped from a heart condition pre-Covid. :?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

About Novavax: just sell it to other countries. It would be stupid for US to buy that one too and EU doesn't truly need it either. Latin America does.

Post by JazzNU »

Novavax Vaccine - Though we may have 3 vaccine options in the US, many have felt for months that Novavax was an important option that needed to be available in the US. Different technology than the others, and thought to be a good candidate for boosters and for those that can't take the other 3 because of pre-existing conditions. Easier to be made and scale up, so a good candidate for global distribution. Also, the anti-vaxxers and skeptics have appeared to be less resistant to this vaccine and it helps that it had less side effects. Meaning, this is potentially the vaccine that could get us to herd immunity levels in the US in addition to the rest. So, not sure why NYT and any other outlets would downplay this important announcement. Novavax took a really long time getting here, they were originally supposed to be here in the early Spring I think, their numbers were looking promising in the winter and it was thought their application was coming in a matter of weeks back then.

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:11 pm About Novavax: just sell it to other countries. It would be stupid for US to buy that one too and EU doesn't truly need it either. Latin America does.
Already purchased. They are similar to Moderna were the US helped to fund the vaccine's development, so more than a billion dollars has already been put into this.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Now is the time to share with other countries in a major way. Otherwise who knows what kind of variants will arrive later on. As for antivaxxers I can't believe they won't come up with a reason not to use this one either.
Last edited by Suliso on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Meanwhile, a family member of mine who chose not to be vaccinated has come down with Covid.

Post by JazzNU »

The US is sharing in a major way.

Not all those not getting the vaccine yet are crazy anti-vaxxers FYI. Some are skeptical of the rushed vaccine. Some are unsure of the newer technology, and are much more open to a traditional vaccine. There's a lot of bad info about how the MRNA vaccine is going to alter your DNA. In addition to J&J's side effects being worrisome to many, they are just coming out of something that makes people justifiability skeptical of them as a company. Novavax doesn't have those hurdles, so that's why it is thought to be a good candidate that more will be willing to take.

No matter how it may seem given the attention paid to them, we don't have a decent percentage of people who would rather homeschool their kids than given them the vaccinations required by their school district to enroll them. That is a very, very small percentage. I don't think anyone is spending time on convincing that group to get vaccinated. It's the ones whose kids have their MMR, TB, tetanus, meningitis shots, etc already that public health officials are trying to communicate the vaccine safety to the most.

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 pm Meanwhile, a family member of mine who chose not to be vaccinated has come down with Covid.
So sorry to hear that. I hope they are doing okay.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I don't think they are all crazy antivaxxers either. Judging from Latvia it's mostly people who don't give a *** and think they have a strong immunity and don't need no bloody vaccine. Some still believe that covid just a different kind of flue, some others would take if offered on a silver platter but can't be bothered to actually register. Real crazies are indeed not that many.

From company website: NVX-CoV2373 contains a full-length, prefusion spike protein made using Novavax’ recombinant nanoparticle technology and the company’s proprietary saponin-based Matrix-M™ adjuvant. The purified protein is encoded by the genetic sequence of the SARS-CoV-2 spike (S) protein and is produced in insect cells.

I wonder what kind of craziness true antivaxxers and demagogues will derive from this. They have more imagination than I do...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Recombinant will be assumed to be combining DNA's with other things.
Nanoparticle technology = Bill Gates/Elon Musk micro-chips implanted to work with space based Chinese lasers.
And I am not one of them. You are right, they will derive something outlandish.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

atlpam wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 pm Meanwhile, a family member of mine who chose not to be vaccinated has come down with Covid.
Sorry to hear this Pam.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein