TENNIS PLAYERS (Off-Court Shenanigans)

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Players Random, Random 2.0

Post by ponchi101 »

Woody wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:26 am Of course it's "up to the player" when they retire. But also we can each give our opinion about it and say whatever we want. What a weird take. Hey, I might also have an opinion when I think a young player is playing too many tournaments or whatever. Hopefully you don't mind if I voice that too...
I am opening a new site.
www.letsnottalkabouttennis.com

So indeed we can go there and not talk about the sport. It will have this great feature where you can go in there and NOT talk about your faves.

Also.
Mirka sent me an e-mail and asked me to tell people not to talk about Roger's retirement, because he is in his room, sobbing uncontrollably and at the border of depression because of our talking about it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Woody

Post by Woody »

Deuce wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:45 am I don't know how long you've been following tennis... but I've been following (and playing) it for about 40 years. In that time, I've seen a thing or two happen, and more than a few different situations and scenarios.
Let me guess, this is meant to imply that your opinion is "more valid" than mine? :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Anyway, I've been watching and playing longer than 40 years. Do I win now? :lol:
Deuce wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:45 am Obviously everyone is free to hold an opinion (although, while you claim the same, you are, interestingly, telling me that my opinion is somehow not valid... hmmm...).
I, though, find it rather disrespectful to the player's own judgment when people call for him/her to retire because he/she is not playing as well as previously, or because of injury, etc.
Imagine thinking that if someone disagrees with you, that means they're saying your opinion is "invalid"! I said your opinion is WRONG. Don't play the victim. You're the one who said it is disrespectful for tennis fans to give their opinion on a topic that is on a lot of tennis fans' minds these days. And then act as if I'm starting a petition that we're going to mail to Roger to try to persuade him to retire or something, LoL. I assure you, he's not reading TAT2. Tennis commentators have been opining much more publicly about his retirement for years now, do you write in to complain often?

Again, such a weird thing to want to start an argument over, because YOU decided this is "intensely personal". They're extremely public figures. This is a very public decision about a very public career. Roger Federer would not feel the tiniest bit "disrespected" to learn that some 50-year-old Canadian thinks he should retire if he can't get fully healthy again.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Sorry - I assumed you were younger based on the content of your post(s). Easy mistake to make.

I don't believe I attempted to 'start an argument' - I simply stated my opinion, without targeting any poster in particular, addressing only the subject of calling on Federer to retire. You then addressed me specifically with a deliberately antagonistic post, blatantly calling my opinion “wrong”, and, essentially, ridiculing it. I think it's rather evident who is ‘trying to start an argument’.
Don’t get me wrong - you have every right in the world to think whatever you wish of my perspective, and of me - I would never attempt to deny you that right. But to come in with the ridiculing, antagonistic, and disrespectful post you wrote, and then accuse ME of trying to start an argument - that’s just blatant manipulation.

And... since when are opinions ‘right’ or ‘wrong’?

As for everything you wrote on the actual subject of players retiring... I still disagree with all of it.

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Roger turns 40 today. That leaves only one sport hero, for me, under 40.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:47 pm Roger turns 40 today. That leaves only one sport hero, for me, under 40.
Who would that be?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Mikaela Shriffin. The girl skis like no one I can say.
Highly partial because I took up skiing recently and she has been dominant in this period, but heck, can't be objective with her.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

My god... I remember watching Michaella playing in Juniors just last month, it seems. She and Kirsten Flipkens had a nice rivalry at the top of the Junior rankings back then.

And now, she has a junior of her own.
Hard to believe...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Bianca Andreescu

Ana Ivanovic

Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Andrea Petkovic

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Uhm, are you sure that is Marat? Or John Mcaffee pulled an identity switch?
He looks way over my age.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

First time anybody has seen her teeth?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »