With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by ponchi101 »

I did mention it was my looney friend, right?
I am as puzzled as you. Why has this veterinary remedy become so popular in this community is insane. Apparently, some guru in Argentina has voiced his opinion/fatwa about its efficacy and that is it.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Even if it was natural, it's just stunning to refuse to take a clinically trialed and approved vaccine deemed safe by just about every reputable scientific and medical organization that researches these things and taken by billions of human beings and opt instead for a drug that is intended for use by HORSES and COWS. The mental gymnastics that is needed to justify that reasoning is just astounding to consider.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:42 am Even if it was natural, it's just stunning to refuse to take a clinically trialed and approved vaccine deemed safe by just about every reputable scientific and medical organization that researches these things and taken by billions of human beings and opt instead for a drug that is intended for use by HORSES and COWS. The mental gymnastics that is needed to justify that reasoning is just astounding to consider.
And sheep and goats. Y'all always forget the sheep and goats! I'm hurt and offended! :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, as I unfortunately have friends in that camp, I get to hear their lines of reasoning, if they can be called so. It is usually some conspiracy based theory, in which Big Pharma/Agro/Oil/Chemical is trying to make some money (because, you know, they are struggling to do so) and they make this plan to FORCE their ideas and products on everybody, but this one guy, this one EXPERT that no one will listen to except THEM, in Central Patagonia, or Northern Rwanda or the Tibetan Highlands has found that three spoonfuls of Nepalese Tea leaves chewed by Northern Chinese sheep (I am not forgetting the sheep, Dry) mixed with detoxified/hydrogenated water taken in the morning, facing Aquarius, cures you. Just like that.
I have been in conversations in which my problem was: where do I start? How do you take down this level of insanity?
Anyway, preaching to the choir. Nobody here to convince. Tomorrow I am playing with my buddy some padel, and I will see what crazy idea of the week he has developed.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

dryrunguy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:00 am
JazzNU wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:42 am Even if it was natural, it's just stunning to refuse to take a clinically trialed and approved vaccine deemed safe by just about every reputable scientific and medical organization that researches these things and taken by billions of human beings and opt instead for a drug that is intended for use by HORSES and COWS. The mental gymnastics that is needed to justify that reasoning is just astounding to consider.
And sheep and goats. Y'all always forget the sheep and goats! I'm hurt and offended! :)
Not forgetting, didn't know. I'm unfamiliar with this ivermectin so I'm just going off what was referenced in the articles I read, so this is all very illuminating, I'm learning something new right now. So, less a pill for horses and cows, and more a pill for livestock in general?
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:36 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:00 am
Not forgetting, didn't know. I'm unfamiliar with this ivermectin so I'm just going off what was referenced in the articles I read, so this is all very illuminating, I'm learning something new right now. So, less a pill for horses and cows, and more a pill for livestock in general?
In terms of ivermectin as a livestock wormer, there's one solution for sheep and goats, one solution for hogs, one solution for horses, and one solution for cattle. You can't use the one for horses on sheep, for example. It comes in two forms for sheep--subcutaneous injection or oral drench. I prefer the drench because that way you're absolutely certain it gets into their digestive system and eventually the blood stream where with the injection, the critter might jump at the wrong moment--and next thing you know, you're not 100% sure you got it completely under the skin or if you accidentally injected in the muscle.

As for what version of ivermectin humans are using or what else goes into this "cocktail", I have no clue. I can't imagine folks are drinking it right out of the bottle. But here's part of what's on the warning label and instructions for sheep:

PRECAUTIONS:

Ivermectin Sheep Drench has been formulated for use in sheep ONLY. (But I've used it for goats as well; works fine; no problems.) This product should not be used in other animal species as severe adverse reactions, including fatalities in dogs, may result. This product is not to be used parenterally.

HUMAN SAFETY:

When used as recommended in sheep, Ivermectin Sheet Drench does not pose a hazard to human health. As a routine precaution, it is advisable to wash hands after use. As with all drugs, the product should be kept out of reach of children. Contact with skin and eyes should be avoided, but protective clothing is not required.

KEEP THIS AND ALL DRUGS OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN: Refrain from smoking and eating while handling. Avoid contact with eyes. Immediately wash hands and any spills on the skin with plenty of soap and water following use.

::

So obviously, the manufacturers never considered the idea that some people might actually be dumb enough to drink it--except children (which is the main reason why we have a nationwide network of poison control centers).
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

P.S. The other reason why it would usually be so absurd to think humans might actually drink this stuff is the warning about how ivermectin can cause coughing in sheep (short-term). Spot on. That happens about 50% of the time I administer it to sheep.

Post by JazzNU »

Appreciate the rundown @dry, and gotta say, that makes me even more shocked that humans would consider that an acceptable thing to ingest and expect a good outcome.

And yes about the poison control centers. That's part of the Mississippi stories I posted, MS Poison Control has had an uptick in calls relating specifically to people treating covid with ivermectin. And it's adults, not children. And even more ridiculous, they are taking large amounts of it.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Today in covidiocy...

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

I support this no matter the location, but especially in an area like Charlottesville. Hospital capacity in rural VA is (expletive), plain and simple, don't overtax the system unnecessarily.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It's not over by a long shot, people...

Jesse Jackson and His Wife Have Contracted COVID-19
And they were reportedly both fully vaccinated.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Here we go. Headline: Mississippi officials warn against using livestock ivermectin to prevent COVID-19 after rise in poison control calls :roll: Apparently, based on the different pieces I read, most folks are taking the horse version, but people are using other versions as well.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mississippi-o ... d=79569021

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:55 pm Here we go. Headline: Mississippi officials warn against using livestock ivermectin to prevent COVID-19 after rise in poison control calls :roll: Apparently, based on the different pieces I read, most folks are taking the horse version, but people are using other versions as well.

This while there is a FREE vaccine readily available. I don't get it.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:58 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:55 pm Here we go. Headline: Mississippi officials warn against using livestock ivermectin to prevent COVID-19 after rise in poison control calls :roll: Apparently, based on the different pieces I read, most folks are taking the horse version, but people are using other versions as well.

This while there is a FREE vaccine readily available. I don't get it.
And ivermectin isn't cheap, either. I ordered a new bottle a few months ago. $35 for 8 ounces. You can buy larger bottles of it if you have a large operation. (Or REALLY bad COVID.)