With Roland Garros just around the corner, get ready for our Survivors' Pool, You Can't Win Jack and Predictions contests.
For our SP players, remember: just the LAST NAME of the player, unless two players with the same last name play on the same day.

Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:12 pm I am still not taking the Sputnik.
Here: vaccination to begin on Feb 20th. A five delay over the initial plan of Feb 15th.
I will get vaccinated by Jan 2022. You'll see.

I know you've delayed your trip back here, but you have a residence in Colorado, right? You may be able to get the vaccine there if you're interested before January whenever you do come back. I don't know what the rules are for Colorado, but many places are allowing snowbirds to get their vaccines, they basically just want some version of residency. So something to consider and look into if you're interested.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No. American residency does not work that way. I can only stay 4 months a year (maximum) or I become a FISCAL residence, i.e. I have to pay taxes on all income, generated IN or OUT of the States.
But I can never become a RESIDENT unless I start applying for that, but that means I have to rescind my current visa because I have shown interest in moving to the States, and therefore I can become an illegal alien. And, if I am rejected for a resident visa, I do not get my previous one because, again, I have shown I "want to move" to the States.
Lots of sense, right?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

I didn't mean do you have residency, like as a legal status classification. I meant a residence, like a house or condo? You talk about a place in Colorado and it seems like it's the same place, so I wasn't sure if you owned or rented it.

Regardless, you come to the US legally. I'd check on Colorado rules. It varies from state to state, but Colorado is likely a place that is going to make allowances for those that are not just citizens and permanent residents.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

^^^^ People unclear on the concept of freedom.

You are free to contract COVID-19.
You are free to become ill from the virus.
You are free to die from the virus.
And, the most important freedom of all - you are free to infect others so that they become severely ill and/or die from the virus.

The Land of the Free, indeed...
Sigh.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:44 am No. American residency does not work that way. I can only stay 4 months a year (maximum) or I become a FISCAL residence, i.e. I have to pay taxes on all income, generated IN or OUT of the States.
But I can never become a RESIDENT unless I start applying for that, but that means I have to rescind my current visa because I have shown interest in moving to the States, and therefore I can become an illegal alien. And, if I am rejected for a resident visa, I do not get my previous one because, again, I have shown I "want to move" to the States.
Lots of sense, right?
^ In December, Canadians who winter in Florida were getting vaccinated (for free) in Florida. They didn't need to own property in the U.S. - just needed to be there and be within the age range that Florida was giving vaccines to, apparently. Canadians typically spend 3 to 4 months in Florida, during Canadian winters.
Then, after people (correctly) complained that these Canadians were taking U.S. vaccines out of the arms of Americans, they changed it so that only Canadians who own a residence in Florida are able to get vaccinated in Florida.

So, it sounds to me that if you own a residence in Colorado, and Colorado has similar rules to Florida, you might be able to get vaccinated. Assuming you can get to Colorado, what with all the various travel restrictions and all.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Your last part is the key. I decided not to go this season, and missing my snow and my skis, because of the restrictions. I cannot get to CO in a non-stop or just one airport stop so I would have to stop somewhere (most likely Florida), quarantine for 14 days and then carry on.
Not worth it.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

You could stop in Florida, quarantine for 14 days, claim to be Canadian, and get vaccinated there ;) .
You wouldn't even have to go all the way to Colorado!
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:34 am Your last part is the key. I decided not to go this season, and missing my snow and my skis, because of the restrictions. I cannot get to CO in a non-stop or just one airport stop so I would have to stop somewhere (most likely Florida), quarantine for 14 days and then carry on.
Not worth it.
Well I wasn't talking about getting one next week. But you mentioned next January and the Russian vaccine so I just thought I'd mention getting one here instead since you do come here often enough in case you hadn't considered that as a possibility. Those travel restrictions won't be there forever, so just something to keep in mind.

As for Canadians. Yes, like I said, snowbirds have been able to get vaccinated. Florida had an issue with vaccine tourism that is somewhat cracked down on, or so they say, I'm sure some of it is still going on. It's more of a free-for-all there than it is elsewhere. And it's not about owning property somewhere, that would be incredibly discriminatory that even Florida wouldn't be able to do that. But I think they are trying to make sure you're some version of a resident there, likely those who have addresses there because vacationers were going there with the intention of finding and getting a vaccine. It's not exactly breaking news, but Florida is not a well run state, so their approach to vaccine distribution has left a lot to be desired.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Oh, sure. That could be a plan later on. Colombia will start vaccinating in about one more week, so I will see how things are going here. I think that I may go to Colorado in the fall (it is gorgeous that time of year) and I will likely go through Georgia (wanna visit my new grand-niece).
Colombia's plan is to vaccinate 125K/week as their target. If they can do that, that is almost 1MM/week, so maybe my paranoia will not come to fruition and I may get my shot before the end of the year.
But right now, the USA is not the most direct route. I will keep you idea in hand, though.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

No drastic changes in the last 10 days so this time I've added the new numbers for the same countries in red.
Suliso wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:07 pm I used to post some covid statistics on TAT 1.0. Not as extensive this time, only the final mortality rate. Top 10 plus some notables excluding micro states. Note that 1000 means that 0.1% of the countries population has died from the disease in the last year or so.

Deaths per 1 million inhabitants

Belgium 1,791 1838
Slovenia 1,638 1743
UK 1,471 1646
Czechia 1,457 1608
Italy 1,431 1506
Bosnia and Herzegovina 1,414 1461
North Macedonia 1,350 1400
USA 1,309 1426
Portugal 1371
Bulgaria 1,284 1346
Hungary 1,256 1357
-------
Spain 1,215 1313
Peru 1,200 (worst in SA) 1267
Mexico 1,159 1278
France 1,134 1206
Sweden 1,110 1195
Portugal 1,082 (currently the worst outbreak in EU) now in the top 10
Switzerland 1,059 1105
Argentina 1,040 1081
Brazil 1,026 (I suspect undercounting) 1082
Colombia 1,018 1088
Germany 648 739
Ireland 617 739
Latvia 601 715
Canada 511 546
Israel 491 (current leader in vaccinations) 554
Denmark 350 382
Finland 118 124
Norway 101 (best in continental Europe) 107

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Both Suliso and Dry are doing a great job keep us informed about what this pandemic is doing to the world. Thanks to you both.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

But hey way to go Iowa. Florida is a lost cause.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

On a personal note. The government of Bogota is setting up test sites across the city. I got tested (antigen) on Friday. Results uploaded to the web. I tested negative for the virus, meaning I have not caught the disease.
Now, please, that vaccine...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:24 pm Both Suliso and Dry are doing a great job keep us informed about what this pandemic is doing to the world. Thanks to you both.
Much more comprehensive than any news site I can think of. Thanks indeed to both.